Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

This is a stupid Question but.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-05, 09:28 AM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is a stupid Question but.....

Since this is my first Automatic car ever..... What does Overdrive do? What does Normal ECT and Power ECT do? As far as performance wise what would I use for the 1/4 mi.? I am assuming one is for fuel economy. Oh yeah, the car is a 1992 SC400. Again this is kind of a stupid question but, I just have always had vehicles with manual transmissions.

Thank you in advance for any answers.
Old 11-17-05, 10:00 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In simple terms, OD is an additional gear in the transmission used primarily for cruising at higher rates of speed. Turning the OD off "locks out" that gear, or doesn't allow the tranny to enter that highest gear.

The ECT/PWR button alters the shift points of the tranny, allowing for slightly higher revs during acceleration and quicker downshifts to help the car stay within its powerband.

All of this info is readily available here on CL. The search function in the upper left of every screen allows the CL database to be searched on ANY topic. And believe me when I say there are very few topics that haven't been discussed.

This is what a search on ECT/PWR looks like.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...earchid=354408

Enjoy!

oh, and for 1/4 mi? use the PWR setting!!!
Old 11-17-05, 10:02 AM
cal9126
Pole Position

Overdrive is 4th gear, used mostly for highway crusing...the ECT button is electroniclly controled transmission, when on it changes the normal shift points on the tranny to a somewhere higher point of ****.... when i race i usually turn my trac off, O/D off, and ect power button on,and brake tourge it to about 1500 at a stand still.....hope it helps
Old 11-17-05, 10:06 AM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mkorsu
In simple terms, OD is an additional gear in the transmission used primarily for cruising at higher rates of speed. Turning the OD off "locks out" that gear, or doesn't allow the tranny to enter that highest gear.

The ECT/PWR button alters the shift points of the tranny, allowing for slightly higher revs during acceleration and quicker downshifts to help the car stay within its powerband.

All of this info is readily available here on CL. The search function in the upper left of every screen allows the CL database to be searched on ANY topic. And believe me when I say there are very few topics that haven't been discussed.

This is what a search on ECT/PWR looks like.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...earchid=354408

Enjoy!

oh, and for 1/4 mi? use the PWR setting!!!
Well, I do appreciate the info and I will search more often.

Thanks
Old 11-17-05, 10:09 AM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cal9126
Overdrive is 4th gear, used mostly for highway crusing...the ECT button is electroniclly controled transmission, when on it changes the normal shift points on the tranny to a somewhere higher point of ****.... when i race i usually turn my trac off, O/D off, and ect power button on,and brake tourge it to about 1500 at a stand still.....hope it helps
Oh yeah, Just like brake boosting on a turbo car.

Makes sense. I never in my life thought I would have to ask about an automatic. Kinda funny because I figured you just mash the pedal and that was it. I guess in these cars there is a little more than just pushing the pedal.
Old 11-17-05, 10:21 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4urxtc

Makes sense. I never in my life thought I would have to ask about an automatic. Kinda funny because I figured you just mash the pedal and that was it. I guess in these cars there is a little more than just pushing the pedal.
Thats why we buy higher stall converters... If we just mashed the gas, it wouldnt mater what stall you got
Old 11-17-05, 10:23 AM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
Thats why we buy higher stall converters... If we just mashed the gas, it wouldnt mater what stall you got
By the way nice car. Love the idea of the 1jz.
Old 11-17-05, 10:43 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4urxtc

Yeah, on the 400 we need to brake torque, or power brake as we called it in Jersey, in order to get up into our powerband. The 400's are dogs off the line and any little bit of help we can give to get into the meat of our powerband is