Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Intake discussion, and BFI

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-05, 11:18 PM
jalapeno
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake discussion, and BFI

what intakes does everyone have? how many of you all have made a BFI? what does everyone think is the best intake available...?
Old 11-17-05, 03:44 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Please try the search function at the top left of every screen. Type into it what you typed in your post as keywords, and enjoy the spoils of the search. Use the advanced search and search only within the SC300/400 Forced Induction, Engine and Transmission section for specific results.
Old 11-17-05, 05:09 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I first just removed the snorkel on the bottom of the airbox, then punched a couple holes in the airbox, soon after I removed the entire front half of the airbox. After figuring out that after some tuning that the car was still restriced, I then made a plate that replaces the panel filter and has 7" round X 7" long K&N attached to it that has solved my problems in that area.
Old 11-17-05, 05:56 PM
jalapeno
Driver School Candidate

can you post pictures, scv8?
Old 11-17-05, 09:41 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

hey man search for bfi, i had a big thread on this very topic

just in csae it doesnt turn up for you heres the link hope this helps

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=pilip99
Old 11-18-05, 05:38 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, sorry.
Attached Thumbnails Intake discussion, and BFI-bigfilter.jpg  
Old 11-18-05, 11:04 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

If you want to make your own here is one route you can take. I did it with black 3" piping and an HKS Metal flow filter.

Last edited by JspecSC3; 11-18-05 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-24-05, 08:28 PM
jalapeno
Driver School Candidate

thanks guys.
i just finished my BFI last night.
just cut a rectangular hole in the airbox, made the under headlight chamber with cardboard and duct tape, sealed everything off with black cardboard and duct tape, pulled the flap down in front for the scoop, sealed off battery side. used Air Conditioning insulation foam everywhere around the air-box, backed by cardboard. for the top cover i just used cardboard and insulation foam for now...all i need now is just a better top cover, so that you can't see the duct tape...otherwise, it works awesome...sounds mean, very aggressive..and i can feel a difference. i think the throttle response is better as well.
Old 11-24-05, 08:38 PM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

heres mine. i want to convert it to Jspecsc3 did....

Old 11-28-05, 10:32 PM
jalapeno
Driver School Candidate

nick..that metal box around your pod i'm sure helps to improve airflow...by sealing off the rest of the engine bay...so i'm sure you get a higher pressure...but i'm also thinking that you might get additional performance by packing insulation outside teh box to help with heatsoak...this should in theory allow the air to stay a bit cooler when entering the engine, of course causing it to have a higher amount of oxygen due to the higher density of the colder air...how do you have your air flowing to your intake? is it just the stock route, or did you go ahead and seal off the underheadlight chamber, and open up the "scoop" under the front bumper...id did the latter, and it really helps to get what appears to be ALOT of air to that intake... mine is quite close to how Peter Scott suggests doing it...he seems to really know his stuff. -my 2cents
Old 11-29-05, 12:14 AM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jalapeno
nick..that metal box around your pod i'm sure helps to improve airflow...by sealing off the rest of the engine bay...so i'm sure you get a higher pressure...but i'm also thinking that you might get additional performance by packing insulation outside teh box to help with heatsoak...this should in theory allow the air to stay a bit cooler when entering the engine, of course causing it to have a higher amount of oxygen due to the higher density of the colder air...how do you have your air flowing to your intake? is it just the stock route, or did you go ahead and seal off the underheadlight chamber, and open up the "scoop" under the front bumper...id did the latter, and it really helps to get what appears to be ALOT of air to that intake... mine is quite close to how Peter Scott suggests doing it...he seems to really know his stuff. -my 2cents
right now its just the stock routed ducting. i havent really had time to mess with it. i want to do something like jspecsc3 did.