Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So when did YOU admit to yourself that your SC had a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-05, 04:09 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default So when did YOU admit to yourself that your SC had a problem?

For me, it was last night. I was leaving the highschool last night before a huge, controvecial game. If you live in VA, you know about the Landstown High Schol drama...

Anyway,I was sitting at the intersection and my turn signal was on, letting my fellow road goers kknow that I wanted to turn left. All of a sudden, System of a Down begins to cut in and out, in and out. I finally realized that it was in tune with my turn signal. Then I checked the gauges, and they were blinking too. Alas, blinky dash had finally set in

Get home, and I'm backing into the driveway. Now my headlights are blinking in turn with my brake lights. I hope my local Lexus dealer has a bay open and an electrician on hand

What are your stories?
Old 11-11-05, 04:26 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I had a bad starter for a couple of weeks before I got a new starter put in. It was the most embarrassing time of my life having to sit in the Lexus that couldn't start for crap.
Old 11-11-05, 04:29 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Bought mine with a dead alt and PS pump.... didn't know it until i got home.... then i figured it out pretty quickly.
Old 11-11-05, 04:35 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Bought mine with a dead alt and PS pump.... didn't know it until i got home.... then i figured it out pretty quickly.
I imagine I might be e-mailing you soon for some new electronic equipment
Old 11-11-05, 05:25 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when there was oil stains in the garage, blue smoke came out of the exhaust, when i was bottoming out over everything no matter what speed, the brake light came on, and then the engine light. THEN I thought there might be a problem
Old 11-11-05, 06:20 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my old 2JZGE motor in my car. When i started it up, smoke pouring out the exhaust, car running on 5 clys, fuel dripping out the tailpipes, and getting around 5mpg.....
I was thinkin maybe there might be a problem, so i drove it home like that and realized, yep.. its a problem. So then i continued to just pull the motor out and drop in this 1jz i had laying around the garage

Does it count as a problem that my now EX girlfriend broke up with me because she complained that i love my car more then her? Honestly, i did...
Old 11-11-05, 06:23 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
Does it count as a problem that my now EX girlfriend broke up with me because she complained that i love my car more then her? Honestly, i did...
I've chosen not to date to specifically avoid this problem. I figure this way, I won't have any angry ex's trying to key my car
Old 11-11-05, 06:26 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
For me, it was last night. I was leaving the highschool last night before a huge, controvecial game. If you live in VA, you know about the Landstown High Schol drama...

Anyway,I was sitting at the intersection and my turn signal was on, letting my fellow road goers kknow that I wanted to turn left. All of a sudden, System of a Down begins to cut in and out, in and out. I finally realized that it was in tune with my turn signal. Then I checked the gauges, and they were blinking too. Alas, blinky dash had finally set in

Get home, and I'm backing into the driveway. Now my headlights are blinking in turn with my brake lights. I hope my local Lexus dealer has a bay open and an electrician on hand

What are your stories?
Do you have an SC300 or SC400? Anyway, check the grounding, it could be loose or not making proper body contact which causes those problems. For me it was a real cheap fix (added an extra ground wire from the battery to chassis) and problem solved. Otherwise it sounds like an alternator problem.

OK, my biggest headache with my old Soarer happened as I was driving in normal traffic in a 70km/h zone, and the car started stuttering at the lights (like it was running HELL rich), the revs started going beserk and a warning appeared on my dash (in Japanese of course, making things even more confusing). It sounded like a WRX with an exhaust when it was on idle and would stutter throughout most of the rev range so I took it to my mechanic straightaway, and the electrical ghost came in... my car was stuck in the workshop for nearly a month while he was trying to fix it. Not only that but my turbos blew at the same time

And the last problem I had with my car was the gearbox. I had to manually shift it because it wasn't an auto no more lol... but I never got around to fixing it as I sold the car.
Old 11-11-05, 06:30 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by Soarer_25GTT
Do you have an SC300 or SC400? Anyway, check the grounding, it could be loose or not making proper body contact which causes those problems. For me it was a real cheap fix (added an extra ground wire from the battery to chassis) and problem solved. Otherwise it sounds like an alternator problem.
I've got a '95 400.

I hope it's not an alternator problem. It was completely replaced back in the end of February/ early March.

I really don't know anything about electrical systems. I'll just waste the time of Charles Barker Lexus, and the money of the company through which my warranty is being covered.
Old 11-11-05, 06:33 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Xotic sC
I had a bad starter for a couple of weeks before I got a new starter put in. It was the most embarrassing time of my life having to sit in the Lexus that couldn't start for crap.
i just replaced my starter...i know how you felt. it really was embarrasing. my alternator went out a few months ago in LA rush hour traffic. that was even more embarrasing. one of my lights in my gauges went out recently too
Old 11-11-05, 08:40 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
I've got a '95 400.

I hope it's not an alternator problem. It was completely replaced back in the end of February/ early March.

I really don't know anything about electrical systems. I'll just waste the time of Charles Barker Lexus, and the money of the company through which my warranty is being covered.
Sounds like it's a grounding problem (as stated).. Clean your battery connections and verify that each post is putting out the correct AMPs. Also check you connections on the Alternator. If it was going bad you should get a light coming on. When my Alt went out in my old 95 SC400 I would simply get a Check Engine and then a Battery light on my dash. I didn't have the problems you are having.

Hope this helps. Remember, before attempting the expensive be sure to do all the little fixes first. This can end up saving you TONS of money.
Old 11-11-05, 11:30 PM
dough boi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put off changing my clutch (collasped pressure plate) until I went to Signal Hill to buy parts for my rx-7 and the clutch lost all pressure and would not disengage, had to teach myself how to drive with no clutch to get it back home. Now I have a 6-puck unsprung clutch that makes it look like I can't drive stick for my life.

Then my timing cover sprung a leak, and the crank kept pushing the new crank seals out, instead of pulling the motor and and getting it shimmed, I bought a low mileage GE motor and swapped it in, why drop almost $800 on a 193k motor, when I can spend less and have a 80k motor. Bought the motor from soardrft from our forum and spent 3 days putting it in myself, had a mechanic help me and I used his shop, paid him $200 for that.

Got coilovers (Tein CS) for one day, slammed the front and gave the car some rake then..... lowered car + big rock from construction truck on 405 south = busted crossmember and steering rack, contacted Gazi already for a new crossmember and will probably buy the steering rack local. I was on the way to buy myself an intake from another forum member also.
Old 11-12-05, 05:51 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my car is full of problems and i know it......
Old 11-12-05, 06:20 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

The time water got in my back sparkplugs and caused them to corrode to where the car wounld't start, then I gas-fouled out the rest. (Its happened again since but I just vaccum the water out lol)...I just built a cover for the back plugs like what is SUPPOSED to be there but wasn't for some reason.

When my battery contacts were TERRIBLE and my car kept dying and wouldn't start until I wiggled them enough to make it home and buy new ones.

The time when somehow all 4 remaing lug-bolts snapped off and pretty much my wheel fell off lol. I nursed it down the driveway with 1 bolt left and fixed it the next day.

Or the time my belt tensioner snapped in a million peices and I nursed it home, then it seemed fine so I drove it and a million parts snapped and fell out from under my car.

Or the time after I replaced the belt tensioner parts fell in the timing belt and shredded it and I coulnd't get the cranshaft bolt off even after the starter trick to fix it.