Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

harmonic balancer

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-05, 03:10 PM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default harmonic balancer

ok guys i asked my local parts dealer he said this-
Hey Ryan,
I looked the parts up and I can sell the balancer for $230 which shouldn't be any different. The fan I can sell for about $60, but I'm not 100% convinced that it would be the same from the SC to the Supra.

Let me know if you need them and I'll get them coming.

Your Parts Guy

What kinda supra crank pulley will fit the sc300? MKIV???? also will the fan off the supra fit the sc300?
any help is greatly appreciated. thanks guys

Also for are you mechanic types - what would i all need to replace the harmonic balancer in my 1992 sc300?
tools?
parts?
thanks guys
Old 10-31-05, 04:00 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

The harmonic balancer is the same thing as the crank pulley. I have an Unorthodox Racing crank pulley. It frees up a couple hp. As far as I know, the MKIV, SC300, and 1jz use the same crank pulley. Is your fan broken? As far as tools you would need to remove the pulley... you will need a crank pulley removal tool you can rent at Autozone. You will need a breaker bar to get the crank pulley bolt off (this is EXTREMELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYY hard to do) ask anyone whos done it... its HARD. So have patience. You will need a 22mm socket. I have a somewhat easy method. Put the breaker bar underneath the cars frame. Make the engine turn over a little by gently turning the key. Keep at it a little bit and you'll have that sucker off. Use the crank pulley removal tool to take off the pulley once the bolt is off. I had to take off most off my front end components (radiator cover, fan, hoses). Put your new pulley on with a "crank installer" you can rent from Autozone as well. Torque the crank bolt back on. Get a new s belt while you're at it.
Old 11-01-05, 07:43 AM
Kylestt
Driver

I may be able to sell my stock balancer if your interested. I have an SFI approved one that i'll be putting on instead. Let me know if your interested.
Old 11-01-05, 09:08 AM
Project300
Driver

iasc300,

Like LeXuSrAcIn said, our cars dont have a harmonic balancer. The engines are internally balanced, so it's really just a crank pulley. It's not that hard to remove either, but you'll need an assistant to take it off and put it back on.

Whatever you do DO NOT use the starter to take off the crank bolt.

Use THIS method if you have an auto transmission:

Get under your car and find the rubber access cover betweeen the oil pan and the transmission on the front side of the bell housing. It is about 2 x3 inches and faces the front of the car. Pull the cover off and you can see the flywheel is directly behind it. Through the access hole, stick a bar ( I used a cro bar but any long straight prying device would work) into any round hole in the flywheel and prop it against the driver's side edge of the access hole. Have another person gradually turn the crank bolt with a big breaker bar til it engages, then have them pull and it pops off easliy. Once I held the flywheel even my girlfriend managed to loosen the crank bolt herself with a 2 foot breaker bar. To put the bolt back on just reverse the process. The crank bolt is tightened to 239 ft/lbs.

Lots of answers you might have can be found by using the Search feature at the upper left of the page. Just type in "remove crank pulley" and you will find tons of previous posts on this topic. Always search before posting a question because it likely has already been discussed and it will save you time.

Good luck.
Old 11-01-05, 11:17 AM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

thanks bro - i appreciate the help guys