Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

step by step clutch replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-05, 09:47 AM
gttosc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question step by step clutch replacement?

hey guys, i know your all probably thinking wow this kid didnt search first, but i have been searching and cant find step by step details on replacing the clutch. If anyone knows a thread that has this or just someone who has done it before who would like to write me up some instructions that would be awesome. Im 18 and have basically enough money to get the clutch kit, and when i heard $450 juswt for labor, i thought i would just do it myself. can anyone help me out?
Old 05-14-05, 10:41 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive done my clutch 5 times (well actually replaced my rear main seal those 5 times, but you need to remove and install the clutch everytime you do this), so I have this procedure pretty much memorized. Heres the steps off the top of my head:

1.) Jack up all corners of the car as high as you can
2.) Disconnect neg battery terminal
3.) Remove all the trim around the shifter (cup holder, shift boot and trim around that, then 6 screws and the rest of the trim)
4.) Remove shifter (4bolts, then rubber boot, then another 4 bolts)
5.) Remove exhaust (unbolt from after the cat for the most room)
6.) Remove driveshaft (3 bolts connected to the pumpkin, on there tight and probably frozen into the rubber bushing. Then remove the heatshielding under the center of the DS, then remove the center DS bearing support from the body, and a few small metal cross supports under the DS. Then you can pull the DS out of the back of the tranny.)
7.) Remove tranny mount, let tranny droop down
8.) Remove clutch master cylinder from bellhousing, but DO NOT disconnect the hydraulic lines
9.) Remove starter form bellhousing, but do not disconnect the electrical lines from it (no need to, just move the starter out of the way)
10.) Unbolt the 9 bellhousing bolts connecting the tranny to the engine. You will need about 3-4 feet of extensions to reach some of these
11.) Support tranny with tranny jack and get tranny out of the way
12.) Now the clutch will be right, unbolt the pressure plate bolts (6 of em), then you can pull the clutch off.
13.) Now you have the choice to resurface your flywheel or not, it does help, but if you rmeove your flywheel I would HIGHLY recommend replacing your flywheel bolts (these are torque-to-yield bolts, designed to be used only once). They cost about $70-80 form the dealership
14.) Use your clutch alighnment tool to support the clutch disk while you bolt up the pressure plate using a cross-pattern
15.) Reverse directions for installation
Old 05-14-05, 11:20 AM
96sc3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does the tranny have to be removed completely or just let it droop,
thanks
Old 05-14-05, 11:23 AM
bmatsu
Driver

I would not do this unless you are a good wrencher. Sounds easy but there are a few things without the right tools will make this a pain.

One little thing that was not mentioned in the instructions is to mark the driveshaft location before you disconnect it from the diff.

It's those little things if not done will make the clutch replacement a very bad experience. Again if you do not have the tools and experience save your cash and have it done right.

Good luck
Old 05-14-05, 11:26 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

You have to let the tranny droop while unbolting the starter and bellhousing bolts, then you will drop the tranny. And thats true about the DS location, remeber to mark that with some spraypaint or somethin. Also, DRAIN THE TRANNY FLUID before removing the driveshaft...
Old 05-14-05, 11:42 AM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gttosc
hey guys, i know your all probably thinking wow this kid didnt search first, but i have been searching and cant find step by step details on replacing the clutch. If anyone knows a thread that has this or just someone who has done it before who would like to write me up some instructions that would be awesome. Im 18 and have basically enough money to get the clutch kit, and when i heard $450 juswt for labor, i thought i would just do it myself. can anyone help me out?
1) Remove Transmission
2) unbolt old clutch
3) bolt on new clutch
4) Reinstall trans

It's honestly not a hrad thing to do. You should be able to get through it yourself, with someone to give you a hand dropping the mission, and putting it back into place.

Get a FSM!!!!! It will be well worth it..
Old 05-14-05, 12:50 PM
96sc3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oic,
oh man, driveshaft spraying, i don't knwo if i can handle it now, how did you guys go about removing bolts of the transmission , the top bolts that is..,
thanks
Old 05-14-05, 03:05 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 96sc3
oic,
oh man, driveshaft spraying, i don't knwo if i can handle it now, how did you guys go about removing bolts of the transmission , the top bolts that is..,
thanks
See where I said "You will need about 3-4 feet of extensions to reach some of these". When you let the tranny droop down, you can get to them EASILY with a nice long extension
Old 10-29-05, 04:33 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

How do you install a flywheel?
Old 11-01-05, 06:25 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Red face

Originally Posted by JZZ30TT
1) Remove Transmission
2) unbolt old clutch
3) bolt on new clutch
4) Reinstall trans

It's honestly not a hrad thing to do. You should be able to get through it yourself, with someone to give you a hand dropping the mission, and putting it back into place.

Get a FSM!!!!! It will be well worth it..
How about "resurfacing the flywheel" for step 2.5 ?