Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

at work bored

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-05, 10:10 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default at work bored

ok so since i have too much time on my hands i want to ask questions about potential ideas i have for my little drift machine.
#1 if i decide to move the motor back about 4-6" i would need a custom driveshaft right?
#2 would it be hard to move the radiator back about 4" assuming i have and electric fan?
#3 can anyone point me to a place where i can get aluminum welds? i want to put my bov on the intercooler.
#4 what do you use to cut sheet metal?
#5 should i buy the bodykit before the motor is complete?
see when they place the intercooler behind the stock bumper i am not sure if it will stick out once i get the bodykit. might as well show it off if you have it right?

just a few questions i would liked answered that i did not find in search....
Old 10-28-05, 10:35 AM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

wow getting a little ambitious aren't we
#1 yes you will need to get the one you have shortened (you could get it custom but $$$$$$)
#2 why move the radiator if you could just extend the hoses?
#3 no clue ask your local body shop. and why would you mount the bov on theintercooler? just sounds like too much work
#4 plasma cutter, grinder, jig saw, and more but i cant think of the names right now
#5 one step at a time. dont get to deep and run out of $ and have nothing finished. and i bet an intercoller will be hard to miss.

If this is going to be your drift machine have you considered all the other stuff first. LSD, swaybars, suspention, tires, tire size, new clutch? just make sure you have this stuff covered first, because if you go to drift and you do a 500hp peg-leg burnout you will be laughed off the track. But you know that.
how long have you been drifting? what technique do you use the most?
Old 10-28-05, 10:42 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

most of the suspension is covered. i was asking the questions because i have to make a decision very VERY soon on what to do with the motor. i've been in drifting since 2001 started with a auto 1jz sc. i was just learning back then until the fatal car crash. i was using the ebrake and power over. then on my 240 which was 90% suspension and 10% motor i was using the clutch kick and ebrake. now it varies because of the different tracks and getting use to different mods on the car. but feint works really well for the car at this point.

now for the moving of the motor the mounts would have to be moved as well correct? which means more welding correct? more questions. how do people go about gutting the wheel well? i've seen some clean jobs, but i know 240 are far different from sc's

Last edited by soardrft; 10-28-05 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-28-05, 10:55 AM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

cool just checking.
it depends on how much you want to spend. i would recomend staying away from the motor relocation idea. some 240s have done it but those guys have too much $$$ and time. plus the headache isn't worth benifit. and thats asumeing its posible to move it that far at all.
ersonaly i would say take care of the performance first, and make sure that your mods match your driving style and the tracks you drift the most. get the car and yourself where you like it because if the car looks good but you cant perform because you are uncomfortable it just makes you look like a rich *****.
on the other hand if you are happy now leave it and work on the rest of the car.
Old 10-28-05, 11:12 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

well each of these mods would change the car greatly. if i moved the motor back it would benefit me because of the weight distribution. the relocation of the radiator is due to a possible v-mount. yes i said i want the intercooler to show, but if the v-mount is not that much why not? and the sheet metal will be used to keep parts from burning around the turbo, and also for the v-mount setup to distribute the air correctly. i know this is not going to be cheap and time well i have decided not to join any events until feb of next year so it gives the car time to be worked on correctly. as far as my driving style it will change as the car changes. i deem most of these mods necessary for my style of drifting......
Old 10-30-05, 01:38 PM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

cool just don't want anyone getting in too deep.
sounds like you know where you want to go with the project and make sure if you do go through to take a lot of pics for us.
and i know about the weight distibution, and i know it changes the dynamics if the car greatly especially when drifting, i just forgot to make the point that stratigic weight reduction could help aswell. i know the change wouldn't be as significant the i bet you would see a difference.
but if in the end you do decide to go through will it and start moving the engine, concider going all out and getting a dry sump to help lower the center of gravity aswell.
Old 10-31-05, 01:56 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Moving the engine that far back will be extremely pricey seeing as that you'll need to get a custom driveshaft, relocate motor mounts, get a custom interior, relocate all your engine accessories, and what not.

And I believe the weight distribution on the sc300 is already pretty good as it is, our engines arent as front heavy as the RB engines anyways.