Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Idle problem after flywheel install.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-05, 03:41 PM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Idle problem after flywheel install.

I expected high idle after installing lightweight flywheel, somewhere around 1100 or 1200 but my car is idling at 1800, have no idea whats going on. i am pretty good when it come to suspension and stuff but transmission and engine, i am retarded a little. Help me out guys.

Brandon.
Old 09-15-05, 09:23 PM
deruvian
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MongolKhan
I expected high idle after installing lightweight flywheel, somewhere around 1100 or 1200 but my car is idling at 1800, have no idea whats going on. i am pretty good when it come to suspension and stuff but transmission and engine, i am retarded a little. Help me out guys.

Brandon.
I was actually just going to inquire about this myself. I have been looking into different clutch and flywheel applications, as with 110k miles I will probably need to do some clutch work soon. Browsing through this forum as often as I've been, I have yet to see any threads on lightweight flywheels. And in looking on other Supra forums, I didn't see anyone that listed a lightweight flywheel in their list of mods.

I know that certain types of engines do not take well to lightweight flywheels, since it changes the severity of harmonic resonations (or the RPMs at which they occur) of the crank. Same goes for some engines and lightweight/underdrive crank pulleys... A lot of engines do not use counterbalance shafts, they just have harmonic balancers in the pulley.

Anyhow, first off we should be trying to help MongolKhan. Speaking of which, I don't think I have any advice to offer mate.

Secondly, we should probably discuss the effects of a lightweight flywheel on the 2JZ... Just my $0.02.
Old 09-15-05, 09:40 PM
blksc300mt
Driver

the flywheel should be neutrally balanced on these motors, right? i just had my stock one resurfaced when i did my 1jz swap and new clutch this month. isnt there a screw you can adjust by where the throttle linkage is on the throttle body? maybe you can move that some to lower the idle a bit. theres probably a proceedure to setting the idle speed that i dont know about, but maybe adjusting the screw will do the job. hopefully somebody knows more about this than i do.....
Old 09-16-05, 05:30 AM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, found out the problems, its a little silly too. I opened up my hood and looked over any loose hoses, screws then went under the car and couldnt find anything, so thought maybe throttle cable is too tight and when i checked it, cable was removed from its clipping place and pushed underneath some other clip, so i pulled it out of it and put it in the right clip where its suppose to be, start the car and it idles perfect. I was so relieved so i took it for a drive at 11pm. Car revs up so easily now. I put a ACT clutch and Clutchmaster flywheel and changed all the bearings and main seal of course. Thanks for your advise guys.

Brandon.
Old 09-16-05, 01:45 PM
deruvian
Driver

Ok, found out the problems, its a little silly too. I opened up my hood and looked over any loose hoses, screws then went under the car and couldnt find anything, so thought maybe throttle cable is too tight and when i checked it, cable was removed from its clipping place and pushed underneath some other clip, so i pulled it out of it and put it in the right clip where its suppose to be, start the car and it idles perfect. I was so relieved so i took it for a drive at 11pm. Car revs up so easily now. I put a ACT clutch and Clutchmaster flywheel and changed all the bearings and main seal of course. Thanks for your advise guys.

Brandon.
Hey man, please please please give a short write-up/commentary after driving the car for a bit. I haven't been able to find much tangible material on the pros/cons of a lightweight flywheel. I'd love to hear how it performs!

BTW - What was the weight difference between the stock flywheel and Clutchmaster?
Old 09-16-05, 01:47 PM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

Will do.

Clutchmaster flywheel=11lbs
Stock one= ill weigh it tomorrow.
There was a huge diffrence in weight ratio.
Old 10-21-05, 07:26 AM
runyun
Lead Lap

Brandon.

You muttafocker - I just saw this post.
"You" though the throttle cable was too tight?

Please biatch! Who was the litte sloot that called me and said, "hey, blah blah blah... blah blah blah. what can be wrong?"
I told you to ck the throttle cable. Damn, at least give me some credit.. don't come up here acting like you figured it out all by yourself!

You're story should have read like this:
Ok, found out the problems, its a little silly too. I opened up my hood and looked over any loose hoses, screws then went under the car and couldnt find anything. So, like the little helpless poosay I am, I called my buddy runyun. He asked what the problem was, what the symptoms were, and gave it a second to think over. He wisely advised to check my throttle cable. I checked it, and realized the cable was removed from its clipping place and pushed underneath some other clip, so i pulled it out of it and put it in the right clip where its suppose to be, start the car and it idles perfect. I was so relieved so i took it for a drive at 11pm. Car revs up so easily now. I put a ACT clutch and Clutchmaster flywheel and changed all the bearings and main seal of course. Thanks for so much for being so wise runyun. I will definately give you credit for this one.

Who's your uncle biatch!
Old 10-21-05, 07:33 AM
csaxon
Driver

You said it all runyun. How could anyone who read your post call you a fool?
Old 10-21-05, 07:55 AM
runyun
Lead Lap

obviously, you don't know sarcasm when you read it.

me and brandon go back from when he used to live in texas. we email each other 50+ times a day to kill time during work until recently 2 wks ago today when he quit his job.

so, instead of trying to come across as a smart *** - just let me and brandon have our fun
Old 10-22-05, 01:19 PM
csaxon
Driver

You said it all runyun. How could anyone who read your post call you a fool?
Old 10-22-05, 04:19 PM
runyun
Lead Lap

obviously, you don't know sarcasm when you read it.

me and brandon go back from when he used to live in texas. we email each other 50+ times a day to kill time during work until recently 2 wks ago today when he quit his job.

so, instead of trying to come across as a smart *** - just let me and brandon have our fun
Old 10-23-05, 11:32 AM
csaxon
Driver

MongolKhan + runyun

Have your fun
Old 10-23-05, 04:28 PM
runyun
Lead Lap

dont worry buddy.. we always do