Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Distributer cap/rotor help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-05, 03:24 PM
FloridaSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributer cap/rotor help needed

I hope that someone on the forum can help me. I'm replacing the plugs/wires/cap/and rotors on my SC400. Everything went smoothly untill I realized that the rotors fit more than one way in the distributer housing. I was a little shocked, but I installed the rotors (fit perfectly), then flipped them 180 degrees and re-installed them (fit perfectly again). I don't know which way is correct. They obviously can't be either way as the firing sequence would be all off. Anyone have suggestions. I have them in now with the contacts pointing toward the timing mark on the cam gears with the crank at TDC. They aren't perfectly lined up, and they most certainly arent when I flip them the other way, so I'm just taking a stab at it. I could use some advice from some others that have done this themselves.

On every other car I've had, changing the rotors was idiot proof, as the rotor only fit in one way!!!!!!!! This is a bit confusing.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-24-05, 10:03 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like you have it where it needs to be. i havent done it on a 400, but i dont see why you wouldnt want it as close as possible to the timing mark? makes sence right?

where in florida are you?
Old 07-26-05, 04:09 PM
FloridaSC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ki_soarer
sounds like you have it where it needs to be. i havent done it on a 400, but i dont see why you wouldnt want it as close as possible to the timing mark? makes sence right?

where in florida are you?

I agree, but the rotors don't really align up with the timing. I mean either rotor is with 90 degrees of the cam timing mark, but not really close. SO I'm a little concerned.

Anyone else. I know people sometime have to change the cap/rotors. Am I the only one with this problem?
Old 07-28-05, 02:41 PM
FloridaSC
Driver School Candidate

Anyone?

Please!!!!!!!!
Old 07-28-05, 03:01 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done this myself and remember it only goes in 1 way. You can rotate it 180, but I don't think it will be a snug fit. Double check that it is properly seated.
Old 07-28-05, 03:08 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just check the repair manual, there is only 1 way to put it in. Here is the directions.

Align the protrusion of the distributor rotor with the groove the camshaft timing pulley.

If you are having problems aligning it, it may not be an OE rotor.
Old 07-30-05, 05:10 PM
FloridaSC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ntran18
I just check the repair manual, there is only 1 way to put it in. Here is the directions.

Align the protrusion of the distributor rotor with the groove the camshaft timing pulley.

If you are having problems aligning it, it may not be an OE rotor.

Oddly, I have the Lexus repair manual and I don't see where it says that. Is that from a Haynes manual? The rotors are screwed in with two screws which are oposed 180 degrees (what a genious idea) there is no protrusion, per say, but a notch that goes in on the pully. There is also a notch on the rotor; it also goes in. Neither notch can be alligned up and have the screw holes match. Thats my confussion. Also, all parts are OEM from Carson too. I have installed the rotors both ways and it fits smoothly and snugly either way. DAMN.

I've worked on engines all my life and never run into this. They usually only fit ONE FRIGGIN WAY.

If anyone has their timing belt covers off, turn the motor to TDC and let me know which way the rotors are facing!

Ntran- thanks for the reply. I'll take it all apart tomorrow when its brighter out and see if you have shed light on anything. Thanks again.
Old 07-31-05, 03:00 PM
FloridaSC
Driver School Candidate

In case anyone else runs into this problem, I think I've figured it out. If you go to remove the cam gears by unscrewing the bolt, the bolt is covering up a mark on the gear. That mark probably should be lined up with the notch in the rotor. The mark lines up exactly with the notch. I'll toss in an update one the car gets back together. It's looking promissing.

Now to change the waterpump and T-belt while its all apart.