Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Finally I Got My SC300. Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-05, 03:24 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finally I Got My SC300. Opinions?

Ok I finally picked up a metallic red 1992 SC300 with 135k miles for 5250. Its a one owner with a clean title (carfaxed it), and it came with a load of receipts for maintenance work. Seems like the owner spent a fortune at a local Lexus dealer then at a local mechanic. The interior is cloth and is almost top-notch. Its such a big contrast from my 1999 Chevrolet Cavalier - day and night. Everything is a quantum leap. Some of the major parts replaced in the service records are: timing belt, alternator, thermostat, radiator, etc.

Ok, enough with the good stuff. Now is the sketchy part. First, just by looking at the prices of the services performed in this car makes me kind of regretting buying it. Here are some of things I noticed:

1. ALOT of problems involving EGR? and Check Engine Light
2. While getting the timing belt fixed at 112k, the Lexus tech recommended changing many things. Among the things that were recommended, I couldnt find out whether the following recommendations were fixed or not:

-Cam and Crank Seals (leaking)
-Serpentine Belt and Belt Tensioner (noisey)

I tried digging through the papers and unable to determine if the above were fixed or not. Would if be expensive.
Old 05-15-05, 08:27 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xknowonex
Ok I finally picked up a metallic red 1992 SC300 with 135k miles for 5250. Its a one owner with a clean title (carfaxed it), and it came with a load of receipts for maintenance work. Seems like the owner spent a fortune at a local Lexus dealer then at a local mechanic. The interior is cloth and is almost top-notch. Its such a big contrast from my 1999 Chevrolet Cavalier - day and night. Everything is a quantum leap. Some of the major parts replaced in the service records are: timing belt, alternator, thermostat, radiator, etc.

Ok, enough with the good stuff. Now is the sketchy part. First, just by looking at the prices of the services performed in this car makes me kind of regretting buying it. Here are some of things I noticed:

1. ALOT of problems involving EGR? and Check Engine Light
2. While getting the timing belt fixed at 112k, the Lexus tech recommended changing many things. Among the things that were recommended, I couldnt find out whether the following recommendations were fixed or not:

-Cam and Crank Seals (leaking)
-Serpentine Belt and Belt Tensioner (noisey)

I tried digging through the papers and unable to determine if the above were fixed or not. Would if be expensive.
Alot of that is part of the EXPENSIVE 100k mile service..... you need to check with Lexus to see what all has been done to the car...
Old 05-15-05, 09:02 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

My past two SC300's had a CEL for EGR within 2 weeks of me registering and driving it around... it's fairly common, and not too difficult to fix, just takes some time if you do it yourself.

And get your service records for lexus.

JT
Old 05-15-05, 01:04 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SupraCoup3
My past two SC300's had a CEL for EGR within 2 weeks of me registering and driving it around... it's fairly common, and not too difficult to fix, just takes some time if you do it yourself.

And get your service records for lexus.

JT
Well, theres no CEL for now. But throughout the later history of the car, they had to replace EGR related parts and had to clean the passages. Even so, the CEL still goes on here and there, accoording to those records.
Old 05-17-05, 08:35 PM
MR-2 Turbo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xknowonex
Well, theres no CEL for now. But throughout the later history of the car, they had to replace EGR related parts and had to clean the passages. Even so, the CEL still goes on here and there, accoording to those records.
Mine is shooting code 71 and 78. 71 being the egr. How do you fix it?
Old 05-17-05, 10:07 PM
2jznat
Pole Position

egr blockoff plates
Old 05-17-05, 11:23 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

is your car auto or manual?