Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I know somebody can help me.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-05, 01:06 PM
93JZA80
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know somebody can help me.

Okay, I know that I don't have a repoire with this forum since I just joined and therefore you don't know that I am not a bull****ter, but please take me seriously.
I have a 93 Supra NA, which is essentially the same as a SC300, just not as classy. What I'm wondering, is HOW exact are they? I am preparing to swap a 1JZ-GTE into the car and I want to do all of my own work, including wiring. I know that there are guides out the for SC swaps for the JZ series, but I want to know if any of you guys have any experience putting a 1J into a mkIV supra. My assumption is that the stuff that is being changed in this scenario would be the same as an SC300, however I am not sure and I don't know any owners of SC300s near me that would allow me to go hunting for the ECU and wiring to make sure they are the same. Can any of you guys help me out?
Thanks in advance. I've done searches on this forum AND on supra forums, but I have not been able to decipher the answer to this specific question, so please don't flame me for searching. I'm an advocate for not asking a bunch of stupid questions that I know are out there already.

Last edited by 93JZA80; 03-07-05 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-07-05, 01:27 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My question to you is why the 1JZ if you have a JZA80?? The only reason why I did a 1JZ is because I wanted to stay true to a soarer to the point where my clip was from a soarer.

You have a JZA80, stick with the 2JZ. I promise that you will not regret it.
Old 03-07-05, 01:30 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kaotiq
My question to you is why the 1JZ if you have a JZA80?? The only reason why I did a 1JZ is because I wanted to stay true to a soarer to the point where my clip was from a soarer.

You have a JZA80, stick with the 2JZ. I promise that you will not regret it.
Cant say that i've seen a 1jz in a jza80 before. I've heard of someone who did it, but havent seen it
Old 03-07-05, 04:52 PM
93JZA80
Driver School Candidate

I understand the purist route, but I used to have a mkIII with a 1J in it and I really enjoyed it. Not to mention that the 2J swap would cost at least 2,000 more, and wouldn't really be anything special. I kinda want it to be different and this time I want to do it myself. So, back to the question. Are the JZA80 chassis (2JZ-GE) and the sc300 really identical?
Old 03-07-05, 05:30 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93JZA80
I understand the purist route, but I used to have a mkIII with a 1J in it and I really enjoyed it. Not to mention that the 2J swap would cost at least 2,000 more, and wouldn't really be anything special. I kinda want it to be different and this time I want to do it myself. So, back to the question. Are the JZA80 chassis (2JZ-GE) and the sc300 really identical?
engine bay wise, yes. Im not 100% sure on the suspension. I know that the coilovers fit fine, but im not sure about the configuration of the arms and what not on the cars.
Old 03-07-05, 06:59 PM
93JZA80
Driver School Candidate

yeah, i knew the suspension and such are all interchangable. I'm just really interested to make sure the wiring and such involved in this swap would be the same as for an SC. Sounds like it, so that would be awesome.
Old 03-08-05, 01:27 PM
theman
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

If you want you're welcome to come up to my shop in MD... I have an SC with the interior mostly stripped out and a bunch of Supra stuff already on it, but the factory harness and engine are all still in place for your comparison.
Although I believe they are so close that the SC swap guidelines should be just fine for you.

I applaud your project. The 1jz is a sweet motor with different powerband characteristics than a 2jz, very linear and rev happy from what I've seen. I'm sure it will do nicely in a light-weight Supra NA.
Old 03-08-05, 11:44 PM
93JZA80
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the offer. Right now I'm in the research/ capital development phase of the project. Think it might be possible to take a rain check on that visit for a little while? Thanks for understanding why I want the 1J and not the 2J. I drive the car at track events and there is a lot to be said for an engine with minimal boost lag, and nice wide powerband with smooth linear power, and higher revs are always good too :-).
Old 03-09-05, 11:48 AM
theman
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

No problemo, just let me know whenever you feel up for a visit... I think I'll be leaving the SC stock motor/harness/ecu wise for a bit and just do the 6-speed install to track the car, so you have plenty of time to check it out whenever you're ready. Already running supra tt brakes and JIC coilovers so it should be quite fun even NA.
Old 03-09-05, 04:16 PM
93JZA80
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by theman
No problemo, just let me know whenever you feel up for a visit... I think I'll be leaving the SC stock motor/harness/ecu wise for a bit and just do the 6-speed install to track the car, so you have plenty of time to check it out whenever you're ready. Already running supra tt brakes and JIC coilovers so it should be quite fun even NA.
oh, it will be. I tracked mine with the mods in my sig for ~1 year and it was a blast. My recommendation would be to hold off on the 6-speed for a little while though. I think you might enjoy the aggressive gearing of the W58 a little more (just my impression from some rides I've gotten, you need b00st for the 6 to feel right )