Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How long will teh stock clutch last?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-05, 05:48 PM
Por2LEX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long will the stock clutch last?

Im in the process of buying a 1992 SC300 5 speed. The car has had only one owner, and it has 112,000 miles. It still has the stock clutch. He says that the clutch is very tight still, and feels like new. I havnt gone to test it yet, but i am this weekend. How can i test the clutch to see in what type of shape its in with out ruining it? Keep in mind that this car was driven by an older gentleman all its life, and was probably never run very hard. How long do these clutches tend to last? thanks
Old 02-14-05, 06:19 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My stock BARELY started slippin at 116k miles, but it was the squeaky throwout bearing that made me do my clutch job. If he says its tight, the throwout bearing doesnt squeek, and it doesnt slip at all when you drive it, it sounds good to me. Even if it does go bad sometime soon, you can do a clutch in about 5 hours and you can upgrade the clutch/flywheel while you're at it (if you want of course). I would say you could replace your rear main seal too, but I have had terrible luck with mine (Im now in the middle of doing it for the 5th time in the past 6 weeks)
Old 02-14-05, 06:38 PM
Xevuhtess7
Pole Position

hey is it the black sc300 in conneticut that you're looking at? i was lookin at that one too. i went down to the dealership to look at it... but couldnt find the place after drivign aroudn the town for an hour and a half .im might be getting a different sc though, but let me know how it goes cause im curious anyways
Old 02-15-05, 11:34 AM
Por2LEX
Driver School Candidate

so u never got to check the car out? Well see how it goes. I want to get a carfax report done soon so i can see wha the history of the car was like. Does anyone on here have a subscription to carfax and would like to run a vin for me? If so, PM me? Also, did he ever tell you how many owners the car had? And to check the condition of the clutch, i was told to go about 30-40mph in a high gear like 4th or 5th and hit the gas, and if the car accelerated without the rpm's slipping, then it was good. Is this the proper way? thanks guys
Old 02-15-05, 01:23 PM
RyanG
Driver

Originally Posted by Por2LEX
so u never got to check the car out? Well see how it goes. I want to get a carfax report done soon so i can see wha the history of the car was like. Does anyone on here have a subscription to carfax and would like to run a vin for me? If so, PM me? Also, did he ever tell you how many owners the car had? And to check the condition of the clutch, i was told to go about 30-40mph in a high gear like 4th or 5th and hit the gas, and if the car accelerated without the rpm's slipping, then it was good. Is this the proper way? thanks guys
You CAN test it like that, but keep in mind it wont always slip. The guy that I bought my SC from, told me that the clutch was slipping and that i should probably get it changed pretty soon. On the drive home after buying the car I tested it, and sure enough it slipped. But, that was the only time it has ever slipped on me in the 4k miles i've put on the car after the purchase. I've punched it in 4th and almost to redline, and 5 just for a short time, just to test the clutch. Basically if you slip the clutch a lot, like at a light, or inbetween shifts that will heat the clutch up and cause it to slip. If you can get the car moving without slipping the clutch too much the clutch can last another year maybe ( a friends did). Good Luck

Ryan
Old 02-15-05, 02:20 PM
Xevuhtess7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Por2LEX
nope i never got to see the car.
Old 02-17-05, 01:28 PM
Por2LEX
Driver School Candidate

ok guys, i have another question for u. I ran a carfax for the sc300 and it said that in 1996 it was issued a salvage title or certificate. I contacted the dealership selling the car and told him about this, and he said the car has never been in any accidents, and he has the clean title in hand. Now the question i have is, is it possible for a car to previously be issued a salvage title, and now currently have a clean title? i thought once it was issued a salvage title, it was always a salvage title, and it could never have a clean title again? Do you think carfax could have made a mistake? I hope you guys can help. thanks
Old 02-17-05, 02:17 PM
Xevuhtess7
Pole Position

thats interesting cause when i emailed the guy he said to me it has a clean title as well. have you seen the car yet?
Old 02-17-05, 02:27 PM
Por2LEX
Driver School Candidate

i may go check it out on saturday depending on the info i get from this thread. If it is indeed a clean title, i will check it out, but if its a salvage, i dont think i will take the time to go check it out. Does anyone have any input on the status of the title? If it has a clean title right now, does this mean its had a clean title all its life? thanks