Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Coolant leaking from reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-23, 01:45 AM
Kxdza
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Coolant leaking from reservoir

My coolant is leaking from the reservoir (watch video) from what I believe to be some sort of sensor. You can see the mangled connector next to the cap (black) which I’m pretty sure it what said connector used to connect to. Is there any way to fix this without buying a new 100 dollar reservoir? I know how to solder but I’m not sure what goes where.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2615.MOV (7.32 MB, 8 views)
Old 07-16-23, 05:29 AM
Kxdza
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kxdza
My coolant is leaking from the reservoir (watch video) from what I believe to be some sort of sensor. You can see the mangled connector next to the cap (black) which I’m pretty sure it what said connector used to connect to. Is there any way to fix this without buying a new 100 dollar reservoir? I know how to solder but I’m not sure what goes where.
Im done working on the car and did some research and it looks like the sensor is 160 and a new reservoir is 100 but the new reservoirs don’t have the sensor… could l just take the sensor out and plastic weld it or something like that? Would that work? Would the coolant light sensor be on my dash forever? If so how do I get it to go away?
Old 07-16-23, 04:22 PM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

I wouldn't be welding a plastic container that requires to be pressurized. Easiest way to make it fail, just my opinion. Eithwerway if there is a way you can drill 2 small holes enough to push the wires out of the container and reattach the sensor. That way the wires would plug the holes, otherwise you'll have a hot spring coming out of there. Don't think you have a guarantee it wont fail regardless...
Old 07-18-23, 06:36 AM
Kxdza
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tallyhoe
I wouldn't be welding a plastic container that requires to be pressurized. Easiest way to make it fail, just my opinion. Eithwerway if there is a way you can drill 2 small holes enough to push the wires out of the container and reattach the sensor. That way the wires would plug the holes, otherwise you'll have a hot spring coming out of there. Don't think you have a guarantee it wont fail regardless...
Wasn’t able to get any extra wire to come up so I was un able to rewire the sensor. Ended up plastic welding it against you advice and on my way home from work the car was steaming and the top of the plastic weld had popped off when I popped the hood at my house. I bit the bullet and bought the 100 dollar coolant reservoir haha. Preciate your advice take care!
The following users liked this post:
Tallyhoe (07-18-23)
Old 07-18-23, 07:19 AM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Kxdza
Wasn’t able to get any extra wire to come up so I was un able to rewire the sensor. Ended up plastic welding it against you advice and on my way home from work the car was steaming and the top of the plastic weld had popped off when I popped the hood at my house. I bit the bullet and bought the 100 dollar coolant reservoir haha. Preciate your advice take care!
Damn, sorry to hear.... sometimes it's just better to swipe once, cry once, but at the same time nothing like a little trial and error to prove your concept works. Older parts come with their drawbacks. Will not always be available, but when they're, they usually command a pretty penny... I sit in the in the power steering predicament. Buy "new" remanufactured and leak in a month, or gamble on a reseal kit, rebuild and leak in a month anyway... Good luck in your ownership adventure