Factory Coating on Front Windows - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
NX Models (2015-present)

Factory Coating on Front Windows

Old 10-18-18, 02:16 PM
BeckyN
Driver School Candidate

Default Factory Coating on Front Windows

Hi all; new to the forums. I just took my brand new car in to get the front windows tinted to match the back and apparently there's some sort of factory coating on them that you can't tint? The place I took it to just called and said they messed the window up and are now ordering me a replacement window. I haven't seen it yet & am sitting here trying to calm down before I go over there because I'm so mad. Now I feel like the window will never be right. Has anybody else run into this issue in trying to tint their windows? I have a 2019 NX300 F-Sport. If nothing else, maybe it'll save somebody else from having to go through this.
Old 10-18-18, 03:10 PM
gompka
Lexus Test Driver

There was someone who just posted this question a day or two ago, seems like this is the case with the 2019 + Lexus nx, can not tint the front windows.
Old 10-22-18, 08:55 AM
E46CT
Lexus Champion

If it's a hydrophobic coating, I imagine that's applied to the outside. Most installers install tint by creating a pattern by using a razor on the outside to trim the tint to shape. Nicer shops use a plotter to cut out a pattern via software so no cutting ON the actual car glass is required. So if this issue is due to CUTTING the outside of the glass, then I would talk to a tint shop that does pre-cut patterns. You can also buy the pattern on eBay for around $30 or less and bring it to a shop and they can install it.

I can't imagine the glass needing a coating on the inside to repel water as it doesn't rain on the inside of the car. So I suspect the problem is as I outlined above.

As far as your car not being the same... i wouldn't worry as long as they're using a Lexus replacement glass. make sure it has the Lexus logo on it. It's just glass... not a big deal.
Old 10-23-18, 08:03 PM
19LexusDad
Driver School Candidate

I’m guessing it may be the inside of the glass that has the coating. There have been a couple of posts regarding this. It’s apparently not only a 2019 NX issue. It looks like it’s a 2019 ES 350 F sport issue as well. I was lucky to have the tinter pass on my car.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...t-windows.html
Old 02-11-19, 02:19 PM
Kashia
Driver School Candidate

Default Front windows seem to have coating apparently

So I just took my new 2019 Lexus NX300 F Sport into a car tint place so my front windows will match the back. Well now my right window is pretty much ruined and the people at the tinit place said itís not from their razor, that thereís some sort of coating. Really upset right now and it looks like Iím not the only one with this problem. Anyone have any answers?
Old 02-12-19, 01:19 AM
1Putt
Lead Lap

There is a UV coating on the inside of the front windows on the 2019 NX300. My folks just picked one up and the tint place I use was able to tint over it with no problem.
They did mess up the driver side window by scratching the coating, so they replaced the window with OEM Lexus part at their cost and finished the job. Apparently they can mess it up if they try to clean the inside of window with a razor blade not knowing there is a coating there

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: