NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

SMS Settings

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-18, 08:44 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
Default SMS Settings

Am I doing something wrong. Ever since I have owned my NX, SMS has always worked. It notifies me and reads messages aloud if I click on "Read". Changed from one iPhone 6 to another and it set to allow notifications in Messages MMS or SMS. Here are the settings in the car. What am I missing?

One of 2 screens

2nd screen
What Am I doing wrong? Are there more settings?
Old 10-12-18, 10:28 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Nothing. It's their retarded software. I have same issue. I bought the car, notifications worked fine - for like a day. then, it all stopepd working. Suddenly, about two weeks ago, it came back to notifying me - but about one of my emails that I really keep just like a backup one.
All of your settings are good. I've been there myself. It's Toyota not willing to invest into modern tech, not you.
Also, how SLOW is your display? Mine takes SECONDS to switch screens or even simply show volume change. I twist the **** - well, 3-5 seconds later, I actually see volume change. Same goes for changing airflow direction. Or, audio mode change.
Old 10-12-18, 10:35 AM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

does your iphone Lexus NX Bluetooth settings have Show Notifications enabled? Had to reset it when i got iphone8, then again with iOS12.
If this is the issue, its been mentioned dozen of times thru these threads.
Old 10-12-18, 01:49 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Originally Posted by kent2174
does your iphone Lexus NX Bluetooth settings have Show Notifications enabled? Had to reset it when i got iphone8, then again with iOS12.
If this is the issue, its been mentioned dozen of times thru these threads.
I've tried to read as much as I could find re: SMS. I just looked at my phone and that setting was off, that might be the answer. Thanks very much!!
Old 10-14-18, 05:32 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Ok, so did it work?
Old 10-14-18, 09:13 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Been home with a cold. I'll post as soon as I can. Getting new Pixel 3XL this week so I'll be changing but I'll let you know. Thanks for asking!
Old 10-15-18, 01:21 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Thanks man, get better. So you are switching to Android? Good for you. Lemme know how that Pixel is working out for you same time. My Galaxy Note 4 is 5 yo, still chugging, but getting there.. and I like large phones.
Old 10-16-18, 03:21 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Update. Went out to the car after turning on show notifications in Bluetooth and had my wife send me a text. As usual shows up on my phone a Garmin watch but not the car. That was yesterday. Today was out with the wife and while she ran an errand I went into the settings in the car and all the prompts what were originally on I clicked on again on each option and when my wife sent me a text again it worked. Go figure.

Pixel 3XL is on the way will let you know how easy or hard that is to set up.
Old 10-18-18, 04:41 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

See? Just like mine. Worked. Quit. Started working again with email that I practically never use. So yeah, go figure. Btw, go into messages on the display. I am safely betting, you will see all of them there. Takes some touchpad wizardry to get to them. But they should be stored there. Why not also notified? Go figure....
It sorta sucks, but simply get handy phone mount and set it where you can easily operate phone driving. I have CD slot mount and it's at the touch of finger... It's pointless to take it to Lexus...
Old 10-19-18, 04:04 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Deleted my old iPhone and installed my new Pixel 3 XL. It was very easy and so far seems to be working OK. Like the new Google phone easier to use than my old phone considering I have never owned an "Android" - Google phone. Won't go back.
Old 10-20-18, 07:42 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

I actually tried i phone about 6 months ago. After 1.5 hr of dealing with creating Apple ID, I returned it back to Verizon and am sitting on what I have. Wish I could use them Chinese phones with Verizon... they have total kick ars phones.
Old 10-20-18, 07:46 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 752 Likes on 468 Posts
Arrow

I tried getting this to work on the wife's iphone/18' NX. Notifcations are enabled. Changed the text message to full screen on the car. It has the phone but when you go to messages nothing shows. I can text her from my phone and it comes on on her phone but nothing on the display of the vehicle nor a notification. Notifications are turned on the vehicle as well...

Have no clue. You can click phone on the vehicle and see all her contacts. But texts don't show up anywhere. What am I missing here? Surely it can't be this difficult?

-Nigel
Old 10-21-18, 05:56 PM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821
I tried getting this to work on the wife's iphone/18' NX. Notifcations are enabled. Changed the text message to full screen on the car. It has the phone but when you go to messages nothing shows. I can text her from my phone and it comes on on her phone but nothing on the display of the vehicle nor a notification. Notifications are turned on the vehicle as well...

Have no clue. You can click phone on the vehicle and see all her contacts. But texts don't show up anywhere. What am I missing here? Surely it can't be this difficult?

-Nigel
on your phone go to settings
bluetooth
lexus nx
select show notifications
Old 10-22-18, 03:38 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 752 Likes on 468 Posts

Yep have to those settings on. I can now see that messages is an option on the car menu but it still doesn't show anything on her phone. When I text her phone from my phone as a test, it appears on her little messages icon with a number in new unread messages but it doesn't show on the vehicle screen and nothing pops up to read or display it. This was sitting in the driveway in park with the car turned on.

-Nigel
Old 10-22-18, 04:42 AM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821
Yep have to those settings on. I can now see that messages is an option on the car menu but it still doesn't show anything on her phone. When I text her phone from my phone as a test, it appears on her little messages icon with a number in new unread messages but it doesn't show on the vehicle screen and nothing pops up to read or display it. This was sitting in the driveway in park with the car turned on.

-Nigel
my NX is a 2015 so I cant help anymore
but we do have a 2019 on order and will address this when we get it

Quick Reply: SMS Settings