Horrible voice recognition system

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-18, 05:38 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by skyshadow
We call it 8.5 around here and I lump it in with 9. My apologies
I have no idea what you mean by Generation 8.5, but there are significant improvements in the Generation 9 navigation system over the Generation 8 navigation system, and those improvements are especially notable with regard to the use of voice commands. The Generation 9 system is capable of understanding a much wider range of voice commands, and it isn't nearly as particular about requiring those commands to be be given in a specific order. Further, the improved voice command capability of the Generation 9 system extends to other systems, including the audio system and the climate control system.

Regardless of the navigation system generation, you can significantly improve the ability to use voice commands by using the navigation system together with the Destination Assist app in the (free) Enform App Suite. The Destination Assist app works especially well with voice commands when searching for and setting destinations, and an added bonus of the app is that it is using a map data base that is larger and more up-to-date than the data base that is on the SD card in the vehicle.

When the Destination Search app became available a few years ago, I quickly came to the conclusion that anyone who is not using it together with the car's navigation system is not getting the most out of the car's navigation system and voice command capabilities.

Last edited by lesz; 08-21-18 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-21-18, 07:55 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Destination assist is the live operator that cost $8 a mo. You are talking about Destination Search which is part of the Enform App Suite. Destination Search allows you to use the cloud for business names. So instead of the standard of only publicly traded companies, it can search any company.

Also, The reason we call is 8.5 here at Lexus is because there is little to NO difference in the command system in a 2015 NX compared to a 2016 or 2017 NX. The voice command exactly the same.

Last edited by skyshadow; 08-21-18 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-21-18, 08:29 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

Destination assist is the live operator that cost $8 a mo. You are talking about Destination Search which is part of the Enform App Suite.
Right. I should have said Destination Search, and I've edited my post to correct the mistake.

Old 08-21-18, 03:31 PM
pg13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, So when you break the address down into individual pieces (i.e. state then city then street then house #) you need to give it ONLY what it asks for. So, when it says "please say street name" It wants "Katella". Not "West Katella Street or terrace or place", Just "katella". it will ask which one you want later.

Computers are fast but stupid so you have to account for their total lack in the ability to assume.
When I just say Katella, it does not give me an option of adding "west" without which the address is wrong. When I just enter the address manually, I can enter "W Katella" and it works fine.
Old 08-22-18, 03:49 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

You have given it the WHOLE address and after the house number it does not ask if you want west or east or etc? It determines if the address is Terrace or Road or West or East from the house number. Then it will ask if the assumption is correct.
Old 08-22-18, 04:15 PM
pg13
Driver School Candidate

You have given it the WHOLE address and after the house number it does not ask if you want west or east or etc? It determines if the address is Terrace or Road or West or East from the house number. Then it will ask if the assumption is correct.
I gave it address one piece at a time. "Anaheim"; then wait for stree prompt, then "Katella" , then wait for number prompt and then "XX". It doesn't ask me for "West" but then just errors out that "XX" does not exist on "Katella" (because it is on West Katella).
Old 08-24-18, 08:00 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

what year is the NX? How old is the address?
Old 08-24-18, 09:11 AM
pg13
Driver School Candidate

what year is the NX? How old is the address?
The address is valid. If I just enter the address manually into the Lexus Nav system, it works. Only through the voice commands system, it doesn't ask for "West".
Old 08-24-18, 12:33 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

I would try getting Enform App Suite and using Destination Search, that would be a good duct tape fix
Old 09-22-18, 03:14 PM
HappyUp
Driver School Candidate

I was going to post - asking about voice recognition. Clearly I'm not alone with finding it pretty useless. I only use it to make calls. I press voice recognition (VR) and it comes back with "Hold and release to ask something. Seems redundant. Absolute crap for such an expensive car. My wife's old 2014 honda civic blows Lexus away with this feature. Shame shame Lexus. Think you should upgrade ALL of us to CarPlay as a good gesture.
Old 09-24-18, 08:26 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

It's getting on to you for holding the button. You should press it like a door bell (press then release). If you hold the button for 3 sec you are commanding voice to shut down. Try pressing and then letting off and let me know where you get. What year Lexus by the way? That way I can help you understand your version of Voice Command.

"Think you should upgrade ALL of us to CarPlay as a good gesture. "
I know, or at least hope, this is satirical but if it wasn't...
Lexus is in the car selling business, not car upgrading business. Imagine if Iphone upgraded old phones as good gesture instead of selling you a new one every 6 months that only has one extra feature. Same with Lexus. Also, generation 9 processors can barely handle the limited tasks they are currently given. No way they could keep up with carplay. So anything Gen 9 couldn't be upgraded if they wanted without replacing hardware.