NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

How to reset parking sensor malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-18, 06:49 PM
scoobygsx
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to reset parking sensor malfunction?

Just got my NX200T about 2 weeks ago. Took it through a car wash....and stupidly left the parking sensors on. I completely forgot there is a button to turn it off. Halfway through the carwash I got the parking sensor malfunction warning. Anybody know how to reset it without taking it to the dealer? I've even tried disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and that didn't fix it.

Edit: The car was indeed in Neutral. The carwash attachments (giant wall of mops & squeegees or whatever) all started setting the sensors off all around the car, and about halfway through the malfunction happened.

Pics below. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by scoobygsx; 03-09-18 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-08-18, 07:10 PM
iizbor3d
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

We're supposed to turn off parking sensors before car washes? That doesn't make sense to me nor have I ever heard of that.
Old 03-08-18, 07:23 PM
scoobygsx
10th Gear

Originally Posted by iizbor3d
We're supposed to turn off parking sensors before car washes? That doesn't make sense to me nor have I ever heard of that.
Yeah I wasn't aware either, but it makes sense to me now. The parking sensors started to freak out from all the objects (the car wash wall of mops or whatever you call them) surrounding & touching the car until the sensors just stopped working.. guess it overloaded the system.
Old 03-09-18, 07:45 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't think it's supposed to matter. Wasn't your car in neutral when going thru the car wash? I think the sensors are supposed to be off in that case.
Old 03-09-18, 07:56 AM
scoobygsx
10th Gear

The car was indeed in neutral. See the attached pic for when the manual says the sensors are active. However, that point is moot. I just need to know how to reset it without spending an hour at the dealer, since my closest Lexus dealer is 1.5 hours away.

Last edited by scoobygsx; 03-09-18 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-09-18, 02:30 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 782 Likes on 485 Posts

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes then re-connecting it? Seems like the easiest solution to see if it resets everything.

-Nigel
Old 03-09-18, 04:33 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I’ve left the system on while going through the car wash. I got a lot of warnings but did not get the malfunction indication. I think one of your sensors is defective and a trip to the dealer is in your future.
Old 03-10-18, 07:45 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by olgzr
I’ve left the system on while going through the car wash. I got a lot of warnings but did not get the malfunction indication. I think one of your sensors is defective and a trip to the dealer is in your future.
I'm on my third Lexus with the sensors and have never turned them off in car washes and never had a malfunction, I agree, get to the dealership for them to diagnose the problem.
Old 03-10-18, 08:01 AM
scoobygsx
10th Gear

Yep, that's what it's looking like. I called the dealer and they said if none appear to be popped out of place, and none of them are working, one of them more than likely is defective. I'm taking it to the Toyota dealership on Tuesday since it's in town and the Lexus dealership is a 1.5 hour drive to Mobile. I'm definitely just gonna turn the sensors off before going into a car wash from now on.
Old 03-10-18, 08:33 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by TorontoIS
I'm on my third Lexus with the sensors and have never turned them off in car washes and never had a malfunction, I agree, get to the dealership for them to diagnose the problem.
Ditto. Third Lexus with park assist sensors and never turned them off for car wash. Never even heard of such a thing until I read that comment recently on this forum. Unfortunately, I don’t have a lot of experience with machine car washes though as I only use them on rare occasions when temps are too extreme for a hand wash - say maybe once or twice a year. However, I use the pressure washer whenever I wash it myself and have never paid any special attention to the sensors - they receive just as much water as the rest of the bumpers. I know the manual warns against using hitting them with the pressure washer but I don’t recall any special precautions against machine washes.
Old 03-13-18, 04:51 PM
scoobygsx
10th Gear

Update: The problem was the front left sensor. It broke right at the connection adapter. The technician thinks there's no way in hell a car wash could've caused the damage. The dealership believes the car's front bumper has had body work, or it isn't the original. The current code showed the front left sensor, but the code history shows all front bumper sensors have thrown a code in the past (car only has 17k miles on it); which means the front bumper has been off of the car before. Also, there is shoddy paint areas around the front bumper (overspray), and it doesn't quite sit flush with the fender. Something very uncharacteristic of a Lexus. I just got the car a month ago from Carmax. I definitely will be giving them a call and telling them they sold me a car that's had body work done, when the carfax showed nothing. Total cost is looking like it's gonna be around $400...but I don't know if Lexus will cover it since it's obviously had front end body work. So Carmax better make it right.

Last edited by scoobygsx; 03-13-18 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-14-18, 03:55 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad you found the root cause, hopefully you can get some sort of payment back from Carmax.
Old 03-14-18, 06:46 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobygsx
I definitely will be giving them a call and telling them they sold me a car that's had body work done, when the carfax showed nothing. Total cost is looking like it's gonna be around $400...but I don't know if Lexus will cover it since it's obviously had front end body work. So Carmax better make it right.
Unfortunately, a "clean" CarFax report does not come close to guaranteeing that a car has not had any collision damage.

A CarFax report only shows accidents that been reported and entered into the data base by a law enforcement agency, insurance company, or repair shop, and a good percentage of accidents do not get reported or entered in the data base.

If the CarFax report shows an accident, you can be confident that there was an accident, but, if it shows no accidents, that only means that there may not have been any accidents, but there also could have been accidents that were not reported and entered into the data base.

About 15 years ago, I had a Toyota Tacoma that lost traction on icy pavement, left the road, and came to rest on its side. The repairs included replacing both front fenders, the grille, the front bumper, and one wheel and two tires. Other body panels required straightening, and about 3/4 of the vehicle had to be repainted. Yet, when I traded in that vehicle several years later, the CarFax report showed no accidents because the accident was not reported by the shop, the insurance company, or the police.

The real value of CarFax reports is value to the dealer. The dealers use them to make potential buyers think that they are buying an accident-free car, but that may or may not be the case.

With regard to your car, the cost of a parking sensor is around $250. Installation of the sensor requires removing and reinstalling the bumper. The total cost of the job should be close to the $400 that you were quoted. If you also wanted to have the bumper properly refinished, that would add another $600 or so to the cost of the repairs.

Last edited by lesz; 03-14-18 at 07:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LexMan2003 (03-14-21)
Old 03-12-21, 08:45 AM
Mamajana
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Parking assist sensors

Originally Posted by scoobygsx
Yep, that's what it's looking like. I called the dealer and they said if none appear to be popped out of place, and none of them are working, one of them more than likely is defective. I'm taking it to the Toyota dealership on Tuesday since it's in town and the Lexus dealership is a 1.5 hour drive to Mobile. I'm definitely just gonna turn the sensors off before going into a car wash from now on.
Same thing happened to me with my 2015 RX350. Soon after I went to the car wash the sensors stopped working. Had to drive 120 miles with it beeping the whole time. Called the dealer and they told me how to disconnect it. Took it in and was told two sensors were malfunctioning and it would cost $1000 to replace them. No thanks! Now I just turn it on when I need it to park and then turn it back off.
Old 03-29-24, 03:50 PM
is250916
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mamajana
Same thing happened to me with my 2015 RX350. Soon after I went to the car wash the sensors stopped working. Had to drive 120 miles with it beeping the whole time. Called the dealer and they told me how to disconnect it. Took it in and was told two sensors were malfunctioning and it would cost $1000 to replace them. No thanks! Now I just turn it on when I need it to park and then turn it back off.
Find OEM parking sensors from a junkyard, rock auto, ebay and do it yourself.
The following users liked this post:
krcardinal (06-21-24)