NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Exhausting

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-17, 10:25 PM
lilandagi
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Exhausting

Hello, pretty new to the NX forum, just purchased a 17' NX F-sport a couple of weeks ago. I came from an 15' RX and kinda miss the sound of the six, so did some research into exhaust systems. I think I narrowed it down to the Apexi and the Tanabe systems. I've read some reviews saying the Apexi is really loud in the cat back form, and it drones in the cabin. I've also heard that the Tanabe and Apexi are really quiet in the axle back form. Does anyone have any comments or regrets on going either way? Do you know if you can run a Tanabe with the Apexi mid pipe? Anyone ever did this? Any help would be appreciated as I'm thinking of purchasing something soon. Might hold out to see if there are any Black Friday sales too, I'm a sucker for deals. Anyway, thanks for any opinions and advice anybody can give.
Old 11-09-17, 11:35 PM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Apexi axle back is very quiet, almost too quiet. It is more audible and a deeper tone than OEM, and does not have that aftermarket drone associated with louder exhausts. I find it a "mature" sounding exhaust, I can drive the girl and my parents around without them complaining LOL.
The following users liked this post:
lilandagi (11-10-17)
Old 11-10-17, 09:33 AM
lilandagi
Rookie

Originally Posted by d8168055
Apexi axle back is very quiet, almost too quiet. It is more audible and a deeper tone than OEM, and does not have that aftermarket drone associated with louder exhausts. I find it a "mature" sounding exhaust, I can drive the girl and my parents around without them complaining LOL.
Yup, something to think about. The practical side of me says quiet for the family, but the fun side wants some noise. I guess we have to have a middle ground, but not sure where that is yet. Did you ever hear the cat back in person? Thanks for the feedback!!!
Old 11-10-17, 04:02 PM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lilandagi
Hello, pretty new to the NX forum, just purchased a 17' NX F-sport a couple of weeks ago. I came from an 15' RX and kinda miss the sound of the six, so did some research into exhaust systems. I think I narrowed it down to the Apexi and the Tanabe systems. I've read some reviews saying the Apexi is really loud in the cat back form, and it drones in the cabin. I've also heard that the Tanabe and Apexi are really quiet in the axle back form. Does anyone have any comments or regrets on going either way? Do you know if you can run a Tanabe with the Apexi mid pipe? Anyone ever did this? Any help would be appreciated as I'm thinking of purchasing something soon. Might hold out to see if there are any Black Friday sales too, I'm a sucker for deals. Anyway, thanks for any opinions and advice anybody can give.
I have the Tanabe on my IS350 and it's pretty quiet until you're aggressive with the gas w/ no drone. I have over 200k on the Tanabe exhaust and it still sounds and looks great!
lilandagi (11-11-17)
Old 11-10-17, 09:55 PM
lilandagi
Rookie

Originally Posted by WhatYaGot
I have the Tanabe on my IS350 and it's pretty quiet until you're aggressive with the gas w/ no drone. I have over 200k on the Tanabe exhaust and it still sounds and looks great!
Looked at the Tanabe, but hard to tell from the exhaust clips how it would sound in person. My concern is how the 2 liter would sound vs. the 3.5 though. Want a more aggressive sound, but pretty sure my wife wouldn't like the drone in the car. Thanks for the input, I'll try to research the Tanabe more. Any chance you are using Tanabe suspension too? Was thinking about springs for the NX. Thanks again!!!
Old 11-11-17, 12:15 AM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

I have the tanabe and I also have a friend with the tanabe + the apexi mid pipe. Also another member on here has the full apexi.
lilandagi (11-11-17)
Old 11-11-17, 09:08 AM
lilandagi
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rozay604
I have the tanabe and I also have a friend with the tanabe + the apexi mid pipe. Also another member on here has the full apexi.

How did the Tanabe with the Apexi mid pipe sound? Curious if the two together will make a nice sound. Heard some good feedback on the Tanabe system. Thanks!!!
Old 11-11-17, 05:10 PM
datpimp007
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the full Apexi. Pretty sure there's a thread somewhere with a sound clip. Have to searched the threads.
lilandagi (11-11-17)
Old 11-11-17, 08:20 PM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by lilandagi
How did the Tanabe with the Apexi mid pipe sound? Curious if the two together will make a nice sound. Heard some good feedback on the Tanabe system. Thanks!!!
I have the tanabe without the midpipe but I chopped the big factory resonator and use a smaller res. it sounds the same as using the apexi midpipe but u save money on the midpipe. We had both cars side by side. I find its not loud in the cabin but has good sound outside. Tanabe medallion series is not that loud to begin with.
lilandagi (11-11-17)
Old 11-11-17, 09:20 PM
lilandagi
Rookie

Originally Posted by datpimp007
I have the full Apexi. Pretty sure there's a thread somewhere with a sound clip. Have to searched the threads.
I'll take a look, I've seen only a couple of clips on Youtube though. Thanks for the heads up!!!
Old 11-11-17, 09:22 PM
lilandagi
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rozay604
I have the tanabe without the midpipe but I chopped the big factory resonator and use a smaller res. it sounds the same as using the apexi midpipe but u save money on the midpipe. We had both cars side by side. I find its not loud in the cabin but has good sound outside. Tanabe medallion series is not that loud to begin with.
That's a big help, I think I'll look into going that route. Thank you for the great advice!!!