NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Tires have a flat spot.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-17, 02:02 PM
wrigbay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires have a flat spot.

I've had my 2016 FSport for 8 months, since day one, I have had vibration in the front end at around 70mph, The car has been in for wheel balancing twice to the original dealer, vibration is still there. I take it to another dealer for my first checkup and tell them about the vibration, they balance the tires again, vibration is still there. I finally take a test drive with the second dealer's shop foreman. Thirty seconds on the highway and he asks me to turn around and head back to the shop. He then puts my car up on the hoist and spins the wheels, much to my horror, the wheels are not round, the rims are fine, but you can see that the tires are not round. I get an explanation that the car probably sat on the lot for months without movement causing the the tires to have a flat spot, which CANNOT be repaired, at this point, I figure they would put four new tires on the car. Then they tell me that I would have to go back to the original dealer, because it is a dealership issue and they cannot replace the tires. I contact the company I leased the car from and they send me to an independent tire shop, results are the same as the second dealership, tires have a flat spot.

At that time, I'm pretty pissed and contact Lexus Canada and they open a case, two weeks later the original dealership takes the car back in for service, I figure they will put on new tires. NOT, they claim that they sent the tires out to their tire shop and the issue is now fixed. There are no flat spots on the tires and they are fine. I haven't had a chance to test drive the car at high speeds yet, but I'm a bit confused, why wouldn't Lexus just replace the tires?

Anyone else have experience with this?
Old 06-26-17, 11:25 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

My dad had a similar issue with a set of tires years ago. The suggested solution was to grind off Theresa of the rubber until it matched the flat spot. NO

The issue was documented early on, so there should be no issue replacing them, and now that they "fixed" it, there can be no denying the issue. Get back to Lexus, and make them put 4 new tires on it ..... assuming you bought it new, this is a delivery/warranty issue. Don't take no for an answer. This one is worth taking a stand.
Old 12-29-17, 02:47 PM
catchtanya
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did... i barked loud enough and had my local dealership swap it with another NX's tires. They were used, but had similar miles. It was better but not great.