NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX200t liftgate panel rattles

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-17, 03:04 PM
nhatpham
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NX200t liftgate panel rattles

Hi everyone, I have an 2015 NX base model and I'm trying to get rid of the rattling noise at the trunk area especially when I play music with some bass on(not hard bass).
Even with just daily radio would create this rattles noise. I have tried to isolate the licences plate from the liftgate but the rattles still there.
I took the car back to the dealer twice but still couldn't get rid of the rattles. Have anyone experience this problem with their NX and got it resolved?
I'm planing to just open the liftgate panel myself to add some foam or at least identify where the rattles came from. But been hesitating since I can't find any instruction upon disassemble the liftgate panel.
Does anyone know or have some set of instructions on how to disassemble the liftgate panel?
I would really appreciate if someone have a set of instruction or at least guide me with some instructions.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by nhatpham; 05-18-17 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-19-17, 07:41 AM
CrazyChino
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine was rattling from the small square cover right next to the subwoofer. I took it off and put some cloth like tape on it and fixed it myself
Old 05-19-17, 07:58 AM
nhatpham
Driver School Candidate

Thanks,
Yes, that was the first spot I have identified and I did the exact same thing that you did.
But the rattles sound more like something is hitting against metal. I have tried to sit in the trunk with the liftgate closed, and push against the plastic panel with both hand. With some pressure it actually helps.
It could be those plastic clip/restrainer inside the panel could have broken off when the dealer try to resolve it.
But thank you very much for your reply.
Old 05-19-17, 10:17 AM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Here's what I did... which looks like you said you did. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post9768600

Anyways, after doing that fix, there was still rattling. My friend and I took some time to look for the source and what we did after was we stuck some kind of pad inbetween the subwoofer trim plastic. It took some playing around to get it at the sweet spot, but when we got the pad in the right spot, it applied enough pressure on the liftgate and stopped it from rattling. If I were to point out the approximate location of where I slid the pad... its where the circle subwoofer trim plastic meets that line that goes across the liftgate in the picture provided above.

The only time I get any rattling is if I turn it up, which I never do. A rattling exists on the bottom of the liftgate at the area where there's the warning labels. But at the volume levels I listen to (16-20), I never hear any rattling anymore, which is great.
Old 05-19-17, 10:54 AM
CrazyChino
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to work for bmw as a mechanic and noises is one this everyone hates cuz it takes a lot of time and at least 2-3 guys in the car to diagnose it. Sometimes I see guys break the retaining clips and not realize it until customers come back to complain again.

It could also also be the lock not pulling enough pressure on the latch causing a metal knocking noise
The following users liked this post:
nhatpham (05-19-17)
Old 05-19-17, 11:38 AM
nhatpham
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by aztr0
Here's what I did... which looks like you said you did. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post9768600

Anyways, after doing that fix, there was still rattling. My friend and I took some time to look for the source and what we did after was we stuck some kind of pad inbetween the subwoofer trim plastic. It took some playing around to get it at the sweet spot, but when we got the pad in the right spot, it applied enough pressure on the liftgate and stopped it from rattling. If I were to point out the approximate location of where I slid the pad... its where the circle subwoofer trim plastic meets that line that goes across the liftgate in the picture provided above.

The only time I get any rattling is if I turn it up, which I never do. A rattling exists on the bottom of the liftgate at the area where there's the warning labels. But at the volume levels I listen to (16-20), I never hear any rattling anymore, which is great.
Thank you for your reply.
How did you manage to remove the main panel?
It seem likes I have to remove the upper trim panel, then work my way down to both sides trim panel, then finally the main panel.
But I'm having a hard removing the sides trim panel because I don't know how to remove the side panel hook where you would hang the luggage cover piece with their strings.
Really appreciates if you could give my some more guidance, or how you did it.
Old 05-19-17, 11:50 AM
aztr0
Pole Position

I didn't remove anything. I just had those plastic trim removal tools that you can buy from Amazon. Pried the edge of the subwoofer plastic trim up a bit to give me just enough space, slide the pad in and that's it. I'll try to get a picture of it later.
The following users liked this post:
nhatpham (05-19-17)
Old 05-19-17, 08:13 PM
aztr0
Pole Position

From the picture, I jammed the pad in so that it creates pressure on the liftgate and keeps it from vibrating with the rattling noise. Hope it solves your rattles.