NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Weird window blemish?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-17, 08:10 PM
akaido
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Weird window blemish?

I had the car since last April. I wash and take care of my car and have never notice this on the passenger front window. This weekend I drove in heavy rain to take my daughter to a honor band performance. While driving I notice some spots that look like bird droppings so when I got their I went to wipe off immediately. The marks are NOT outside the window nor inside. This was driving me crazy that I couldnt figure out what this is. I put my hands around it and cover it to make sure its not a reflection from other part of the car.
The pic will show this weird spots. It is on my front passenger window, though in the pic it looks like its on the BMW next to me
Anyone seen this?
Attached Thumbnails Weird window blemish?-nx-window-weird-blemish.jpg  
Old 01-23-17, 07:24 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Do you have tint installed on your windows? It looks like it could be between the tint and the glass. Perhaps the tint is separating from the glass? I know automotive safety glass actually has layers with a plastic laminate in the middle. I suppose it is possible the glass and that center sheet of plastic could be separating? I have never seen that before but it should be covered by warranty.
Old 01-23-17, 04:09 PM
akaido
Driver School Candidate

no tint but the front windows look factory tinted so prob like you say something separated and caused discoloration.
Old 01-23-17, 05:28 PM
akaido
Driver School Candidate

Basic warranty is 48 month/50K? reason is the window itself is not scratched or dented, outside and inside is smooth. Last time I had my passenger window replaced, they didnt do a good job putting back the door panel. So I am hesitant to get it replace now so early since the car is relatively new.
Old 01-23-17, 07:46 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by akaido
Basic warranty is 48 month/50K? reason is the window itself is not scratched or dented, outside and inside is smooth. Last time I had my passenger window replaced, they didnt do a good job putting back the door panel. So I am hesitant to get it replace now so early since the car is relatively new.
I hear you, and can't disagree with your reluctance, but it is likely the only way you will be able to get it resolved. Just stick to your guns and don't let them off the hook if it isn't returned in the same condition as when they started. Perhaps take some good photos that show door panel alignment. I guess it depends on your tolerance level. I don't think I could stand it if my windows weren't clear.
Old 01-24-17, 04:03 AM
wpath
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It definitely looks like the glass is delaminating. It's probably not a safety issue, but the cosmetics would drive me nuts...
Old 04-14-17, 03:14 PM
akaido
Driver School Candidate

Dealer say its cosmetic and not covered. I called lexus and they say the same but will open a case for me. Let see where it goes.
Old 04-14-17, 04:40 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by akaido
Dealer say its cosmetic and not covered. I called lexus and they say the same but will open a case for me. Let see where it goes.
That is ridiculous. If the issue was the result of some sort of carelessness or negligence on your part, I could see them declining a warranty claim, but, if the problem is the result of something going on inside the glass panel, I can't see how they could claim any fault on your part.

Whatever the cost would be to Lexus to replace the glass is small compared to the bad PR that Lexus will get from people reading on a public forum about their refusal to fix the problem.
Old 04-17-17, 03:59 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Im kinda disappointed in alot of things I loved in my old lexus that this new 2017 nx just doesnt have. wife wanted the smallest crossover lexus had so not much of a choice...I hope you find a solution, I see many things on this nx that arent up to par compared to my 06 is 250
Old 04-17-17, 07:03 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

I agree with you Torii. This is the first Lexus I have ever owned that doesn't have rain-sensing wipers and it is definitely the noisiest Lexus we have owned. I realize the wipers are available on the most expensive option package but I feel it should have been included at a 50k MSRP. My wife also wanted the smallest SUV so there you go. Anyway, you can definitely see signs of cost cutting without the commensurate price cutting. We still enjoy the car and would likely buy again because the size fits us well, but I agree with your point.
Old 04-17-17, 07:47 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward6096
I agree with you Torii. This is the first Lexus I have ever owned that doesn't have rain-sensing wipers and it is definitely the noisiest Lexus we have owned. I realize the wipers are available on the most expensive option package but I feel it should have been included at a 50k MSRP. My wife also wanted the smallest SUV so there you go. Anyway, you can definitely see signs of cost cutting without the commensurate price cutting. We still enjoy the car and would likely buy again because the size fits us well, but I agree with your point.
I agree 100%.

I've been looking for a while to replace my GX with something smaller and more fuel efficient, and I thought that the NX would fit the bill, but I'm finding it difficult even to find an NX that is equipped the way that I want it to be equipped. While it is theoretically possible to get an NX with the Luxury Package, if Lexus is actually making any of them, it has to be very few because I can't find a single one in the inventories of any of the dealers within 200 miles of my location. Similarly, it doesn't appear as if Lexus is making very many NXs at all with the Pre-Collision System, Lane Departure Alert, etc. Those safety features are now standard on most Lexus models, and you can't even find one with them as options on an NX.

A few years ago, I thought that I'd likely never buy another vehicle other than a Lexus, but the fact that it is virtually impossible to buy an NX equipped the way that I want it to be equipped has me looking elsewhere. If I was to buy an NX now, I'd have to settle for a vehicle that doesn't have features that I've gotten used to on my ES, and it would even be missing some features that I have on my 12 year old GX. It is hard for me to understand how Lexus/Toyota can build a loaded RAV4 with features that aren't even available on an NX, and they sell the RAV4 for $10,000+ less than what the price of an less well-equipped NX is.