NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

My Week With an NX200t Loaner

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-16, 08:03 AM
Toneroni
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward6096
It is too bad they didn't go to as much effort to make the interior quiet. No double door seals like the RX, no dual pane side glass and less insulation from engine noise. I wonder if the issue is a market decision to keep the costs/luxury down so it doesn't compete with the RX? Anyway, these differences obviously weren't great enough to dissuade us from moving down from the RX. We purchased knowing full well it was a very different car so I'm not complaining, just stating one of my early observations.
I actually like to hear the engine but I know what you mean.
I think they could have made the screen a bit larger as well (with all of the empty space in the bezel).
I would love more sound deadening on the windows/doors and do think that they want to keep the RX as the more luxurious option since many RX owners probably don't even use all of the cargo space.
Old 03-21-16, 09:06 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 698 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by Toneroni
I actually like to hear the engine but I know what you mean.
I think they could have made the screen a bit larger as well (with all of the empty space in the bezel).
I would love more sound deadening on the windows/doors and do think that they want to keep the RX as the more luxurious option since many RX owners probably don't even use all of the cargo space.
Yes, with just my wife and I we never used all the space in the RX but definitely enjoyed the quiet ride. As for the engine sound, I suspect preferences may vary some by age group. We are old enough that retirement is in sight, and the engine sounds just don't appeal to us, especially a four cylinder that sounds like it is really working.
Old 03-24-16, 08:22 PM
lexusbexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else have torque steer complaints?
Old 03-24-16, 11:09 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusbexus
Anyone else have torque steer complaints?
I hate to make this comparison, as I think the NX is nimble, the throttle response of the 200t is similar to a corolla, you really need to dig into the pedal.

The backseat is not that bad in the NX, flat floor just a tad less width i guess, but compared to others in its class legroom is adequate.
Old 03-25-16, 01:36 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

My first encounter with the NX200t for a loaner, I was disappointed. But after getting it a few more times, my impressions have completely changed. I find myself requesting for it when I service my car. This is a fun, little SUV. The turbo-4 isn't that bad and performs fairly well for everyday driving. Still a little disappointed by a few of the material choices in the interior, but they had to save some money somewhere.
Old 03-25-16, 07:54 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is some torque steer when you really get into it. I don't mind though
Old 03-26-16, 06:41 AM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love my NX. It is a 2016. Yes, it is not as quiet as a RX and it has less storage but I new this going in. It is just my wife and I so I don't need the additional storage. I did plenty of research before buying this car as well as a test drive which seems like some here have not taken the same approach. As for the 4 turbo, yes it is not a six but it is smooth and more quiet than most 4,s. And peppy enough too. It is a totally different ride than the RX. It was made to be a much more sportier car and ride and most that have driven both like the handling of the NX, myself included.

As we all have said here on the forum. It is not for everyone. It is 7k cheaper than the RX. It is hard to justify the extra money in my case but in truth I have owned two Rx's and they have gotten bigger and bigger, don't handle as well and have gone up in price considerably. Both cars are very good no matter which one you purchase.
Old 04-11-16, 01:12 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

I had a NX200t as a service loaner while the dash was replaced on my GX.

- I was surprised by some torque steer when accelerating in a turn - I haven't experienced that since the 90's. If it was my daily driver I could adapt to it, but was surprised to see it in 2016.

- Steering wheel. I know it was supposed to be leather-wrapped, but it felt way too plasticy. It was also loose. Needs addressing by Lexus.

- The touchpad was ... OK. I liked the old "car mouse" better.

- The entertainment system had a lot of features, but it was hard to get to the FM radio and tune a station. I didn't have time or want to connect the Bluetooth for a one-day loaner.

- I was stopped in traffic when I felt a "bump". Looking in the rear-view mirror the car behind me was super close and I thought they had tapped me. But there wasn't a mark on the bumper cover. It didn't feel like the A/C compressor cutting in/out. No idea, but very disconcerting to think I was going to have to pay for a repair on their loaner, even if it was just for a brief moment.

Would I buy one? Probably not. I'd probably look for a used RX instead and get more cargo room.

Chip H.