Sub Trunk Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-15, 09:01 AM
maLx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sub Trunk Rattle

Hi, All.

I ran a light search but couldn't find something where this topic was addressed. When I listen to music, mostly R&B the sub/trunk rattles both inside and out. It's really annoying. Has anyone experienced this and is there a fix? I want to get as much info as I can before I take it to the dealer. I don't even have to have the music that loud.

Let me know,
Joey
Old 11-20-15, 09:18 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by maLx
Hi, All.

I ran a light search but couldn't find something where this topic was addressed. When I listen to music, mostly R&B the sub/trunk rattles both inside and out. It's really annoying. Has anyone experienced this and is there a fix? I want to get as much info as I can before I take it to the dealer. I don't even have to have the music that loud.

Let me know,
Joey
You might look for the posts on license plate rattle.
Old 11-20-15, 09:19 AM
maLx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jim256
You might look for the posts on license plate rattle.
Let me check that out.
Old 11-20-15, 09:28 AM
maLx
Driver School Candidate

Wow it was the silly licence plate cover. I didn't realize how loud that was from inside the car! Took it off and tossed it. Rattle fixed. Thanks for the tip!
Old 11-20-15, 09:46 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by maLx
Wow it was the silly licence plate cover. I didn't realize how loud that was from inside the car! Took it off and tossed it. Rattle fixed. Thanks for the tip!
You can also use moleskin to help with the vibration issues. Put it on the bottom of the plate. I have to do this on the Camaro because my rear bumper shakes so much
Old 11-20-15, 09:50 AM
maLx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Swacer
You can also use moleskin to help with the vibration issues. Put it on the bottom of the plate. I have to do this on the Camaro because my rear bumper shakes so much
Good advice. I don't have my plates yet but when I do I'll do something. Right now, there's nothing on the back. Looks naked.
Old 11-20-15, 02:09 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I think that someone in this forum said they got rid of that rattle by opening that small access panel on the interior of the rear door and stuffing some insulation in there. I think someone even stuffed it with microfiber cloths.

Maybe all this does is to muffle the license plate rattle from entering the cabin.

Last edited by NXOwner; 11-21-15 at 01:55 AM.
Old 11-20-15, 04:46 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by NXOwner
I think that someone in this forum said they got rid of that rattle by opening that small access panel on the interior of the rear door and stuffing some insulation in there. I think someone even stuff it with microfiber clothes.

Maybe all this does is to muffle the license plate rattle from entering the cabin.
Yes, this is regarding the hatch rattle due to the subwoofer.

Here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post9232050

And here for a more involved solution: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ibrations.html
Old 11-20-15, 05:04 PM
Rdcrow
Driver

I put two rubber washers on the license plate screws. They keep the plate away from the door and they dampen all of the vibration from the sub so it doesn't reach the plate.
Old 02-25-16, 05:36 PM
tnagel89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership will fix this issue!

I had the same issue with my 2015 Lexus NX 200t. I was getting major buzzing and rattling coming from the trunk area. I first thought the issue was the license plate, but after Wester stripping the license plate, I determined that the issue was not the license plate. The issue was with the plastic cover surrounding the sub woofer.

I took the car to the Lexus dealership thinking they weren't going to be able to help me. After taking a look at it, the dealership was surprised to see a lack of foam insulation near the rear hatch around the sub woofer: causing the rattling. They also found loose wires!

The dealership fixed the issue in a day and mentioned that the mechanics took pictures of this and has escalated the issue to the manufacturer.

If any of you are experiencing buzzing in the trunk from the sub, take it to the dealership and they'll take care of it!