NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Dings and Scratches Pics Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-15, 03:38 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Unhappy NX Dings and Scratches Pics Thread

Unless your car is locked up or on a corded display in a museum, the unfortunate reality is a ding, scratch, or worse, will inevitably happen and mar the beautiful finish of your NX, despite your efforts on mitigating risks.

I'll kick this off with two unfortunate blemishes, which I discovered recently without any idea how they happened.

Small circular indentation about the size of a large pea. Almost like the tip of an umbrella may have poked the door...

What could have caused these scratch lines which go down to the primer???
Old 10-18-15, 04:34 PM
rjw972
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couple of months ago I was walking back to my car from Walmart and my flip flop got caught between a damaged curb and the sidewalk and I broke my fall by catching myself on the front fender. It was pretty embarrassing; I was trying to be smooth and hop over the broken cement but it didn't work out that way. Needless to say I took it to get repaired at the dealership and my baby is as good as new. They did an awesome job, no creases, smudges, scratches, nothing. I will say some of the body panels seem "soft" if you will, especially the roof and hood...but that's no excuse for being a klutz.

Old 10-19-15, 05:18 AM
rjw972
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
What could have caused these scratch lines which go down to the primer???[/I]
If I had to guess I would think it was somebody's open zipper jacket/hoodie; the zipper portion maybe graced against the fender? I don't though...
Old 10-19-15, 05:28 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by rjw972
If I had to guess I would think it was somebody's open zipper jacket/hoodie; the zipper portion maybe graced against the fender? I don't though...
Yeah, it's possible. Another hunch is a school bag on someone's back (i.e. my kids), they turn around unknowingly scuffing the car.
Old 10-19-15, 09:06 AM
D4V1D
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Happened last weekend...we think. A runaway shopping cart, perhaps, because we park way out usually.

DAMN!!

My wife doesn't mind the dent so much, but hates the scrape on the plastic.

Looks like a trip to the dealer for their paint-less repair and some new plastic is in order soon...
Old 10-19-15, 09:11 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^ That's too bad. Maybe you can try to lightly hammer it out from underneath the wheel well?
Old 10-19-15, 09:21 AM
D4V1D
Driver

I was thinking that too because that's all they do (paint-less repair), but they also have special tools. AND it's on the crease, so I probably will let the professionals handle this one.
Old 10-19-15, 09:31 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Yeah, it's possible. Another hunch is a school bag on someone's back (i.e. my kids), they turn around unknowingly scuffing the car.
this will teach you not to give DarthNX a bubble bath. Dirt covers up a lot of stuff.
Old 10-19-15, 02:30 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

CorradoMR2,

Sorry to see the damage to your NX. Accidents do happen but the one on the door should be able to fixed with PDR. For the front fender, it is hard to believe it goes down to primer. Maybe it is some paint leftover or scuff marks? If they are indeed scuff marks and not primer, you may be able to fix it with some good wet sanding technique which is best performed by good professional car detailer.

For PDR, see my PM. I have this guy fixed the dent on our RX this year. The best part is he can probably come to your garage. The location of your dent is not too bad as it is not on the crease line or near it.
Old 10-20-15, 09:16 PM
PR3D4K1NG
Driver School Candidate

Two weeks ago I was sitting in my car in a parking lot talking on the phone when I heard the worst sound imaginable to a new car owner. THUNK! The lady next to me opened her car door too wide as she was putting her kid in the back seat.

I set up a claim through TD Meloche Monnex which is associated with Car Star here in Calgary. It was very noticeable the day it happened but I had to wash the car to find it a few days later.

The Appraiser looked at it and chuckled a bit then said "Do you want me to just buff that out a little bit?"

It was a happy ending with very little hassle after all. But OH MAN was I ever pissed off when it happened.
Old 10-20-15, 10:32 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by rjw972
Couple of months ago I was walking back to my car from Walmart and my flip flop got caught between a damaged curb and the sidewalk and I broke my fall by catching myself on the front fender. It was pretty embarrassing; I was trying to be smooth and hop over the broken cement but it didn't work out that way. Needless to say I took it to get repaired at the dealership and my baby is as good as new. They did an awesome job, no creases, smudges, scratches, nothing. I will say some of the body panels seem "soft" if you will, especially the roof and hood...but that's no excuse for being a klutz.

That looks like a simple fix. Good thing is, hands are pretty blunt and soft objects. I am very surprised that such little force could make such a sizeable dent though... car bodies are so thin nowadays.
Old 10-21-15, 02:20 AM
D4V1D
Driver

Originally Posted by computerwi
I am very surprised that such little force could make such a sizeable dent though... car bodies are so thin nowadays.
I thought the same thing at first, then I tried to recreate the accident in my head...

I imagined that they almost completely hit the deck and just managed to catch themselves. Even though body parts are soft, I imagine that if I were to put my entire weight (all 142 lbs) on one spot using one hand, I could probably do that to any car.
Old 10-21-15, 05:19 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by PR3D4K1NG
Two weeks ago I was sitting in my car in a parking lot talking on the phone when I heard the worst sound imaginable to a new car owner. THUNK! The lady next to me opened her car door too wide as she was putting her kid in the back seat.

I set up a claim through TD Meloche Monnex which is associated with Car Star here in Calgary. It was very noticeable the day it happened but I had to wash the car to find it a few days later.

The Appraiser looked at it and chuckled a bit then said "Do you want me to just buff that out a little bit?"

It was a happy ending with very little hassle after all. But OH MAN was I ever pissed off when it happened.
Was the lady apologetic?
Old 10-21-15, 11:12 AM
fishcak3s
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Corrado, is that a scratch right at the corner of the headlights where the hood meets the corner of the lights?

A few months ago a rock on the highway bounced up in front of me and missed my hood, windshield but landed on my roof with a really really loud bang! a small dent like D4V1D's.

Went out to eat last week and upon returning to my car a worker from the restaurant was leaning on my car while having a smoke. No damage but this grinds my gears....arggggg
Old 10-21-15, 12:50 PM
online421
Rookie

I scrapped my left front wheel (we are right hand drive here) while parking... just lightly but yeah... only after this incident I realised I can use the camera under the mirror to see how far you are from the curb.

NX Dings and Scratches Pics Thread-img_9657.jpg

NX Dings and Scratches Pics Thread-img_9658.jpg

Quick Reply: NX Dings and Scratches Pics Thread