NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

GAP insurance

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-15, 11:07 AM
CybrRdr
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default GAP insurance

My NX F Sport is planned to arrive this week and seriously thinking of getting GAP insurance. This car is to replace a 2014 RDX that was totaled in an accident. Realized we only got the current market value for the RDX in our region. So figured we should invest in GAP insurance on our next vehicle. My insurance company (GEICO) does not offer GAP so if we want it we will either have to purchase from dealer or switch insurance companies. Anyone have any experience with GAP insurance from Lexus? Thanks.
Old 07-07-15, 11:51 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

GAP insurance only factors into how much you put down on the car.

If the car costs: 45K OTD:

1. If you put down very little, say 5k, you owe 40k on the car. Next year, that car you paid 45k for, is now only worth 35k, but you also owe 35, so you would break even on an accident. HOWEVER, another year later, that car is now woth only 29k, and you still owe 30k. Now you won't have enough to pay that back without dishing out your own cash. Thus, GAP insurance would make sense.

2. If you put down quite a bit, say 12k, you owe 33k on that car. At that second year, assuming 5k off your loan a year (i'm making up a story...so bare with me), you owe 23k on a car that is worth 29k, and you would actually get to keep 6k after paying off the car. Thus, GAP insurance doesn't make sense. You'd essentially be paying more a month to your car insurance without any benefit since you paid so much up front.

Thus, it all depends on how much you're willing to put down on the car up front. It also helps to know how your car is going to depreciate over time (whether its fast or not). That can also factor into the discussion.

Personally, I don't like putting down any less than 10k on a car, so that GAP insurance will never be needed. Now of course that changes with the car's price, like 10k wouldn't matter at all on a GT-R (at 101k), you would then have to look at a downpayment of 20-25k to justify ignoring GAP.
Old 07-07-15, 07:07 PM
CybrRdr
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Swacer! Since I put down $14.5k and Lexus hold value very well, I passed on the GAP insurance.
Old 07-08-15, 08:17 AM
brendaman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine recommended Geico's Medical Breakdown Insurance (https://www.geico.com/getaquote/auto...own-insurance/), and that's what I have for my NX. It's available for new or leased cars which are less than 15 months old and with less than 15K miles. The coverage is up to 7 years or 100K miles.
Old 07-08-15, 08:46 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by brendaman
A friend of mine recommended Geico's Medical Breakdown Insurance (https://www.geico.com/getaquote/auto...own-insurance/), and that's what I have for my NX. It's available for new or leased cars which are less than 15 months old and with less than 15K miles. The coverage is up to 7 years or 100K miles.
I agree. This insurance is for the medical bills you sustain in the event you have a breakdown when your NX is damaged.
Old 07-08-15, 06:32 PM
zeyger
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by brendaman
For a brand new vehicle like the OP's, I consider this a waste of money. This is just the insurance industry getting into the whole "extended warranty" shindig.

Besides, much of what they cover is already covered by your cars warranty.
Old 10-20-16, 01:53 PM
mindanalyz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
I agree. This insurance is for the medical bills you sustain in the event you have a breakdown when your NX is damaged.
Wrong! Geico MBI is an insurance against mechanical problems [with a short list of exclusions], a deductible per occurrence of $250 and can run up to 7y/100k miles. I have it for my X3

EDIT: I understand now that this was a joke. My bad