Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My car was robbed what happens to my insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-11, 04:25 AM
thomash
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car was robbed what happens to my insurance?

Two days back my car was robbed. I have filed a police complaint. I am really confused with the answers that i have got till now. How should i go about from hereon?
Old 05-16-11, 05:10 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Do you have Comprehensive coverage? Whats your deductible?That's what usually covers break-in and theft. Your insurance company may want receipts. Hope it turns out well for you from here.

As for insurance..if they pay out, your rates may increase.

Last edited by msgs350; 05-16-11 at 05:11 AM. Reason: add
Old 05-16-11, 07:29 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Insurance Company pays you market value for your car depending on your policy. If you have a bank lein; check goes to them to pay off the terms and you get the remainder to do with as you please (or you could be left with a balance if your policy is not sufficient and you do not have proper gap insurance).

If you are not moving then the general idea is that your rates will not increase but that varies depending on a number of situations (your driving and claim history being the major factors).
Old 05-16-11, 08:06 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

no point to report to insurance company if you don't have comprehensive coverage. If you do, report every single item to the police report and claim the insurance. Yes, they do ask for reciept sometime.

BTW, what car & where your car got robbed. My neighbor's RX330 got robbed in Brooklyn on Sunday morning, they broke a window and took the steering wheel air bag.......didn't take the navi or coins.
Old 05-16-11, 08:21 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
no point to report to insurance company if you don't have comprehensive coverage. If you do, report every single item to the police report and claim the insurance. Yes, they do ask for reciept sometime.
Valuable in your car are NOT automatically covered by your auto policy unless expressly written into the policy. There is only limited coverage available as these items would likely be covered under your homeowners or rental policy.

OP, in my previous post, I assumed the vehicle was stolen and not just your personal items, my apologies if that is the case. You need to read your policy and see what exactly is covered as most policies provide very little coverage for personal items.
Old 05-16-11, 12:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

As a brand-new poster, BTW, welcome to CL and CAR CHAT.

Where were you parked when it was taken? Was it in an illegal parking-space? Sometimes towing companies or repo agents come and get cars, tow them away, and you don't know it......it appears to have been stolen, though in many areas, they are supposed to notify the police when they do that. If it was just towed out of a space, it might be down at the impoundment-lot....and often those places are cash-only.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-16-11 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-16-11, 12:42 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Valuable in your car are NOT automatically covered by your auto policy unless expressly written into the policy. There is only limited coverage available as these items would likely be covered under your homeowners or rental policy.

OP, in my previous post, I assumed the vehicle was stolen and not just your personal items, my apologies if that is the case. You need to read your policy and see what exactly is covered as most policies provide very little coverage for personal items.
I'll add that any personal property that was stolen is most likely covered by home owners insurance, and possibly renter's insurance, not auto insurance (unless specific endorsements were added to your policy).

The rule of thumb is, if it wasn't attached to the car, it's not covered. (And if you don't have a receipt for after market stuff, you're probably SOL on that).
Old 05-22-11, 11:54 PM
adanguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My condolences . If you have comprehensive as part of your auto insurance coverage, you will be covered for your loss.