NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Computer Glitch with Remote Start?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-21, 06:37 PM
Ashutosh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer Glitch with Remote Start?

Hi, just changed from a 2019 base nx to a 2021 premium nx with remote start.
It is about 3 day new and 200 km so far.
Today when I was leaving work, I decided to use the remote start to cool off my car. So far so good, although a bit difficult to get the timing of the 3 clicks down.

Got into the vehicle, nice and decently cooled. (Note: the vehicle didn't shut off).
Proceed to push gear from P to D - Boom - engine shut off.
Then the check engine light came on along with the steering wheel light.
I can turn on the car but not able to start the engine.
The brakes were very hard to step down and even when I depressed it, the engine won't start and the panel screen displays the same 'ignition on' or 'depress brake to start'.
I was like wtf... did I just break my car after 3 days !?

I called up my salesperson , told him about my situation (the remote start didn't shut off after unlocking) and he said he had the same problem before, it's a 'computer glitch'.
If I can shift the gear a few times from P to D and back, it should be able to, if not try booting the battery, if still doesn't work tow it back to the dealership.

So I decided to try that and also called roadside assistance. Phew...thank god the method worked.

Anyone else had the same problem? How can I not bump into this in the future?

Thanks.
Old 06-11-21, 07:44 AM
End1ess
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Not sure if the newer model works different but all Toyota and Lexus should shut off engine when you open any door other than the hatch door.
To avoid the glitch I guess when you open the door and the engine still running, shut the door, lock your car. Use the remote to turn off the car (same way to remote start).

If you forgot and proceed to change gear. My guess best you do the same get out the car and use the remote to shut off the engine. (this may not work just my guess).

Last edited by End1ess; 06-11-21 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-11-21, 09:09 AM
yvnrg1981
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm really curious as too who was the one that came up with the bright idea to shut the engine off as soon as you open the doors? WTF!!! Never have I ever seen such a "over engineered" feature. Real Men of Genius!!! We salute you "Mr. programmer designer maaaan"
Old 06-11-21, 03:02 PM
LexMan2003
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by yvnrg1981
I'm really curious as too who was the one that came up with the bright idea to shut the engine off as soon as you open the doors? WTF!!! Never have I ever seen such a "over engineered" feature. Real Men of Genius!!! We salute you "Mr. programmer designer maaaan"
I'm not sure it was a "man". It might've been a "woman". Wait a second, it might've been someone who was born a "man", but identifies as a "programmer". Or, it was a "programmer" who identifies as a "woman". Or, it was someone's dog who identifies with a "human" !

You just don't know any more
Old 06-11-21, 07:57 PM
Ashutosh
Driver School Candidate

Good advice. I contacted Lexus Costumer Service about this 'glitch' and they were asking if I visit a dealership for this issue (thank god I didn't have to)...

The second part, though, I tried multiple different ways to shut off and turn on the engine, including the procedure you suggested. They won't work and the brake will remain stiff.

Shifting gear seemed to be the most readily available solution.

This could've been easily addressed by a code update.
Old 06-12-21, 09:48 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Real men don’t need to pre-cool/heat their cars. Most useless feature EVER.
Old 06-12-21, 11:20 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Originally Posted by LexMan2003
I'm not sure it was a "man". It might've been a "woman". Wait a second, it might've been someone who was born a "man", but identifies as a "programmer". Or, it was a "programmer" who identifies as a "woman". Or, it was someone's dog who identifies with a "human" !

You just don't know any more
Could be a non-programmer who is now allowed to program.
Old 06-12-21, 11:21 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Real men don’t need to pre-cool/heat their cars. Most useless feature EVER.
Maybe for you. I use ot all summer and winter.
Old 06-15-21, 08:52 PM
Ashutosh
Driver School Candidate

Update: As always, Lexus Costumer Service is of no use, unless I bring the car back to the dealership to diagnose.

Since this doesn't happen anymore and doesn't impact regular drive, I will bring this issue up in my 1.6k personalization checkup.
Old 06-17-21, 10:57 AM
Jezza819
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ashutosh
Hi, just changed from a 2019 base nx to a 2021 premium nx with remote start.
It is about 3 day new and 200 km so far.
Today when I was leaving work, I decided to use the remote start to cool off my car. So far so good, although a bit difficult to get the timing of the 3 clicks down.

Got into the vehicle, nice and decently cooled. (Note: the vehicle didn't shut off).
Proceed to push gear from P to D - Boom - engine shut off.
Then the check engine light came on along with the steering wheel light.
I can turn on the car but not able to start the engine.
The brakes were very hard to step down and even when I depressed it, the engine won't start and the panel screen displays the same 'ignition on' or 'depress brake to start'.
I was like wtf... did I just break my car after 3 days !?

I called up my salesperson , told him about my situation (the remote start didn't shut off after unlocking) and he said he had the same problem before, it's a 'computer glitch'.
If I can shift the gear a few times from P to D and back, it should be able to, if not try booting the battery, if still doesn't work tow it back to the dealership.

So I decided to try that and also called roadside assistance. Phew...thank god the method worked.

Anyone else had the same problem? How can I not bump into this in the future?

Thanks.
Have you tried using remote start on the Lexus App through your smart phone?
Old 06-17-21, 09:23 PM
Gramps7
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my 2013 Mustang was engineered the same way….was always a head scratcher on WHY!!
I haven’t used the remote on my 2021 NX yet (only had it a week). Have tried the 3 clicks but doesn’t seem to work….need to practice or be closer I guess.