NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Advice on rims for 19 NX300 F-Sport 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-19, 07:20 PM
16fsport2
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ACP84
When driving im hearing kind of like high pitch whinny sound which seems more loud when coming to a stop....almost feels like there is some friction so im not sure if its the rims or a combination of both tires and rims. I put the rims on myself and everything was torqued to 76ft lbs twice so I know there on there tight.

From what I hear these tires could be a little loud but Ive never had these noise on my q50 sedan with michelin x ice 3? Just want to make sure it indeed is the tires and not these new rims I put on which are replika oem rims and are direct fit.
Is it possible if you (or someone riding with you) can record the actual audio of the noise and post it for more opinions?

From my (humble) experience with tire noise, they are not high pitch, whining, but rather no distinct frequency components, aka white noise. If you have a white noise source and plug into a frequency spectrum analyzer, you'd have an idea about white noise with no specific frequencies, whereas whining noise will show a spike at that particular frequency.

And if you feel some friction, or grinding, that seems to suggest a clearance issue between the wheel(s) and the neighboring of the SUV frame? I can only think of the offset, theoretically the Replika R224 is a direct fit, +30mm, so how can that be a problem?

That said, can you possible verify the offset is correctly as claimed? This article suggests how to find out the offset if different between stock and "inspired OE" wheels.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ticle21410912/

"I am the original owner of a 2003 Mazda Protege 5. Two springs ago, after using my first set of winter tires and switching back to my all-seasons, I noticed louder-than-normal road noise coming from the front when the car is in motion. My mechanic replaced the front wheel bearing (front driver side) and afterward, the noise was gone. This spring, after replacing my winter tires back to my all-seasons again, the noise has returned. My all-season tires are 195/50/16 and they are mounted on the stock 16-inch rims. My winter tires are 185/60R15s mounted on 15-inch aluminum wheels. I change the tires myself manually (using socket and tire wrenches) and hand-torque the lug nuts. Could my winter tires be the source of my problem? – Steve

The alternate tire has the proper diameter, so it may be that the wheel it is mounted on has the wrong offset – the distance from the surface of the hub to the centre-line of the wheel. This is a common cause of bearing stress and subsequent failure. Lay a flat object across the rear of the factory tire/wheel and measure the distance from where it touches the tire/wheel to the hub or point where it mounts on the hub. Do the same with your winter tire/wheel. If there is a big difference, that is probably your problem."

End of excerpt.
Old 11-04-19, 09:57 AM
ACP84
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 16fsport2
Is it possible if you (or someone riding with you) can record the actual audio of the noise and post it for more opinions?

From my (humble) experience with tire noise, they are not high pitch, whining, but rather no distinct frequency components, aka white noise. If you have a white noise source and plug into a frequency spectrum analyzer, you'd have an idea about white noise with no specific frequencies, whereas whining noise will show a spike at that particular frequency.

And if you feel some friction, or grinding, that seems to suggest a clearance issue between the wheel(s) and the neighboring of the SUV frame? I can only think of the offset, theoretically the Replika R224 is a direct fit, +30mm, so how can that be a problem?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=53PaTXbq4ks

That said, can you possible verify the offset is correctly as claimed? This article suggests how to find out the offset if different between stock and "inspired OE" wheels.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ticle21410912/

"I am the original owner of a 2003 Mazda Protege 5. Two springs ago, after using my first set of winter tires and switching back to my all-seasons, I noticed louder-than-normal road noise coming from the front when the car is in motion. My mechanic replaced the front wheel bearing (front driver side) and afterward, the noise was gone. This spring, after replacing my winter tires back to my all-seasons again, the noise has returned. My all-season tires are 195/50/16 and they are mounted on the stock 16-inch rims. My winter tires are 185/60R15s mounted on 15-inch aluminum wheels. I change the tires myself manually (using socket and tire wrenches) and hand-torque the lug nuts. Could my winter tires be the source of my problem? – Steve

The alternate tire has the proper diameter, so it may be that the wheel it is mounted on has the wrong offset – the distance from the surface of the hub to the centre-line of the wheel. This is a common cause of bearing stress and subsequent failure. Lay a flat object across the rear of the factory tire/wheel and measure the distance from where it touches the tire/wheel to the hub or point where it mounts on the hub. Do the same with your winter tire/wheel. If there is a big difference, that is probably your problem."

End of excerpt.
I will get a recording of the noise and upload it later this week.

Thanks!
Old 11-14-19, 02:34 PM
cpyue
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 16fsport2
Ask and you may receive ; here is a web site that provides for the look on your NX "view on vehicle" button:
https://www.canadawheels.ca/replika-...vehicle=185000

The not so good news, or you need to confirm whether this rim meets the OEM specs, if you click on the OEM Specs, it should show this, as attached, a 18x7.5, not 18x8 specified for the R224 rim! That said, I don't know if this detail is important, as the "devil is in the detail"!

(sometimes the "view on vehicle" button does not show, so I saved a copy just for the fun of it!)
Enjoy

Hi, where can I get the specification for RX350?
Old 11-15-19, 12:18 PM
16fsport2
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cpyue
Hi, where can I get the specification for RX350?
If you scroll up the messages, you will find the link to enter your RX350 model year to find out specific specs for it:
https://www.canadawheels.ca/?gclid=C...UaAr8xEALw_wcB
Old 11-15-19, 12:28 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Some time ago I saw an NX here where someone installed 20 (or 21) inch wheels desinged for mustangs.. it had a european style mesh design. looked incredibly good. i almost went out and got an NX just to copy this dude's look. that's how good it looked. i'm sure if you dig around you can find them. it's a gray NX F sport lowered slightly and on these wide beefy european/BMW style looking wheels. classy and aggressive at the same time.
Old 11-18-19, 05:59 PM
Floyd91
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those look pretty good.
Old 12-01-19, 10:33 AM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

RX F Sport 20” wheels. Perfect fit 👌🏾
The following users liked this post:
nigel821 (12-02-19)
Old 01-17-21, 05:57 PM
askdogey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JWBlakk
RX F Sport 20” wheels. Perfect fit 👌🏾
Clean. Is this stock suspension?
Old 01-22-21, 04:14 PM
Fujinator
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Try toyota brand wheels

I bought wheels from a Toyota dealership so it is hub centric with the offset a proper 35. I swapped out the Toyota center cap with Lexus ones bought on Amazon. For winter, do not buy chromed or machined or partially machined finish as they are more susceptible to salt and brine corrosion (pitting).

Toyota wheels I purchased minus 1 conversion to 17” size for winter tires.

Removed Toyota center cap and replaced with Lexus caps bought on Amazon