Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Need advice for Napa or Carmel visit....

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-07, 04:01 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Need advice for Napa or Carmel visit....

Hello all, my girlfriend and I's 6th Anniversary is in two weeks and I have been trying to plan a trip to either Napa or Carmel but I don't know what my best options are. I just paid for classes/parking permit at SJSU ($2100) so I don't have too much to spend. Does anybody have any suggestions for a reasonably priced hotel and particular vineyard to visit? How many vineyards should I visit to make it worthwile? There are so many hotels and vineyards and I don't know which one is best located for its price. I've found some decent hotels that are more in my budget but they are in Fairfield/Vallejo etc. I mean.... if it's that far from Napa, I might as well drive home to Milpitas later that night and save myself some money. Any other recommendations for activities? I browsed hot air balloon rides but they are a bit pricey.

How about Carmel? I know there is horseback riding available, etc.

If anybody has had any first-hand experience with any particular hotels or activities in either city, please do share. I value the opinions of CL members and it would provide me with great insight.

-Theo
Old 08-12-07, 06:29 PM
J:M
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's your budget? Realistic?
Old 08-12-07, 08:00 PM
miss_IS300
Lead Lap

Carmel By The Sea! I think your girlfriend might like Carmel more because there is a very beautiful beach there. The 17 Mile drive is right near by and it costs about $8 to get in. Monterey is right up the road so you can go there if you get tired of Carmel. Ocean Ave (I think that's what it's called) has tons of little shops and boutiques for you guys to browse through. I've been to Carmel the past 2 years for our anniversary and I absolutely love it there.

Napa = $$$. I also personally do not think that there is much to do in Napa. Once you're done with the fine dining, vineyards, mediocre shopping and spa treatments, you're kind of sol as far as activities. Nearby Vallejo and Fairfield do not offer much either. Fairfield is actually less than 30 minutes away from Napa and there is a very nice Hilton in town. I know because I live in this hick town.

Last edited by miss_IS300; 08-12-07 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-12-07, 10:00 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, Napa on a tight budget is not worth the drive. It's nice to go if you are willing to spend a couple hundred a person for wine tasting and a top notch dinner, but there's not too much free stuff going on there.

A day trip with lunch won't be too bad though. Head all the way to near Calistoga. Go to Sterling Vineyards. For $15 or $20, I think, you can take the cable car up to the vineyard. Nice view, and a sit down tasting of 5 wines or so... then come back down south and hit places like V. Sattui, where they offer you a free tasting of their wine. A wide selection too, though not the top notch stuff... Stop by somewhere like Mustard's Grill or Bistro Don Giovanni for a good lunch. Maybe finish with another tour of somewhere like the Coppola Vineyard (the director) or Mondavi (probably the most well known name in Napa). Then probably just go back home or the city for your evening entertainment.

and of course the drive in Napa Valley itself is pretty scenic.
Old 08-12-07, 10:19 PM
PineGreen
Pole Position

Carmel is probably a better bet for you. Napa costs much $$$ and there is not much to do other than wine tasting...and wine tasting gets kinda old kinda fast (at least for me). If you go to Napa, Celadon is a pretty good restaurant. Vallejo is not too far from downtown Napa. From what I remember, it's less than 15 minutes.

Personally, I think Carmel has more sight seeing stuff that's cheaper and also pretty nice/romantic. 17 mile drive is awesome. Also, there's a bunch of little shops in downtown Carmel and the beaches. A stroll on the beach and hitting the little shops will take up some time.
Old 08-13-07, 10:39 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Carmel.

http://www.oldfishermansgrotto.com/
NOBODY makes better clam chowder than the Old Fisherman's Grotto on the Monterey Wharf

http://www.forgeintheforest.com/
Very nice dinner spot in the heart of Carmel-by-the-sea.

Carmel also has many many art galleries for you to explore if that is to your liking. If you've ever heard of Thomas Kinkade, Carmel/Monterey is the place to look at some of his work.

If she hasn't been, take her to the Monterey Bay Aquarium...the sea otters are a funny bunch.

Cheers,
~Alan
Old 08-13-07, 11:54 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

If you are going to Carmel/Monterey....DEFINITELY check out Laguna Seca!
Old 08-13-07, 01:58 PM
J:M
Pole Position

Whatever happens, Carmel > Napa anyday.
Old 08-14-07, 04:57 AM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you all so much for your input. Realistically speaking... my budget is probably is $400 for a 2 day getaway. I'm pretty sold that Carmel would be the much better choice. My gf and I are not big wine connosieurs but we have never actually been wine tasting so that's why the idea came to mind. I honestly think though that she would appreciate Carmel more though. Again, thank you all for your suggestions and recommendations and I will browse through those links and book a hotel room as we speak.

-Theo
Old 08-14-07, 08:50 AM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We had our SF cruise meet to Napa/St. Helena backroads last year and it was very scenic. I've been to Napa several occasions and have enjoyed the wonderful variety of wines. The area is secluded within canyons, valleys and mountains. The views are very nice w/ backdrops of local grape vines and rolling vineyards.

However, in Monterey/Carmel on the other hand, I truly enjoy the fresh brisk breeze of the Pacific Ocean, the endless views over-looking the ocean and the variety of local retail/restaurants along Fisherman's Wharf.

In Carmel, there is a winery that I personally enjoy, "Chateau Julien" which is on Carmel Valley Road, just 5 minutes from downtown Carmel (off of Highway 1).

In Pebble Beach, my favorite restaurant is called "Roy's" which is at Spanish Bay. They have great food, good ambiance and outdoor fire-pits and lounge chairs for those chilly days/nights. This outdoor lounge overlooks the Pebble Beach Golf links and the Pacific Ocean. Within vicinity of the restaurant is where you begin the infamous "17-mile drive".

Napa is for beginner to advanced wine connoisseurs who can enjoy the local wines/sparkling wines. And for anyone who is interested in learning more about the different types of grapes, proccesses, distillments, barreling and aging periods.

Monterey/Carmel/Pebble Beach is a handful of site-seeing, wine tasting, shpping and romantic views along the Pacific Coast that takes your breath away.

Two great places w/ different purposes.

good luck.

Last edited by martini3; 08-14-07 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-14-07, 10:17 AM
tmag
Pole Position

Theo, $400 for a 2 day trip (1 nite) in Napa is do-able. My GF and I stayed there last weekend had some friends visiting. Stayed at Hyatt in Santa Rosa ~200/nite nice hotel and there is a very good Italian restaurant Lococo's within walking distance (the veal parma. will induce a meat comatose) it has a nice quaint family restaurant feel. For lunch bouchon in Yountville, little on the pricey side but worth it (not everyday one can eat at a restaurant with a michelin star). I have also stayed in calistoga nice place and you can walk in the downtown area with bars and restaurants. I know the wine tasting thing can get old I wasn't big on wine either at first but from a few trips to Napa I have become a bit of a wine snob now. At least I figured out what I like and don't like and not get intimidated with restaurant wine lists. Just hit a two or three wineries a day, tasting range from free to $10 (most will waive fee if you buy a bottle), bigger "well known" places may charge more. Oh almost forgot, if you do go this route check out Mumm's can sit outside sip some sparkling wine and a great view of the winery.

Last edited by tmag; 08-14-07 at 10:20 AM. Reason: sp