NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

**** illegal window tint

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-09, 10:09 PM
koosflower
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default **** illegal window tint

I got two tint tickets for my pass and driver side windows.in manhattan around 11:00 pm.it was 27% for both side the cop gave me one ticket for each front side windows. $ 100 each with the surcharge. sounds ridiculous.
Old 01-19-09, 10:13 PM
thomastan
Lead Lap

cop must have not like you...
Old 01-19-09, 10:14 PM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

So over $200 total? Dang.. do you have to take it off now too?

I did 20% for the rear windows and 35% for the fronts
Old 01-19-09, 11:44 PM
Heng350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow....$200 for a fix it ticket? paying 1 of those i wudnt get tint again lol.... I just got my car retinted 3 days ago.
The cop got me for smoked tail lights / 5% tint / front plates....
Worst thing is i took all that stuff off and when i to the court house to get it paid for, i find out the cop never turn in my report. its a plus for me if i dont have to pay it but i still had to remove my tint.

BTW is $200 standard in NY?
Old 01-20-09, 12:34 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sucks big time, tough luck..I have my side windows 20%, rear windshield 5%, and my front windshield at 30%...I only got pulled over once for it and the cop let me go..You got to pay to play sometimes, especially now that the city is in a huge deficit..

Last edited by One HoT; 01-26-09 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-20-09, 05:36 AM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

like i said before.. NYPD quote time...

Receipts for having your tint removed usually work to reduce or eliminate tint tickets... whether or not the receipt means you actually got your tint removed is another thing...
Old 01-20-09, 06:36 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by koosflower
I got two tint tickets for my pass and driver side windows.in manhattan around 11:00 pm.it was 27% for both side the cop gave me one ticket for each front side windows. $ 100 each with the surcharge. sounds ridiculous.
It's illegal , why are you surprised that your getting a ticket for breaking the law? Is it fair? That's a whole different debate but as stated by Dennis, you have to pay to play.

Get a receipt tshowing that it was removed and hope for the best.
Old 01-20-09, 06:46 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow... what an a-hole guy... a ticket 1 for each side?

that's unheard of...
Old 01-20-09, 07:00 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Batmobile

that's unheard of...
I second that.

And I'd better be careful driving around the DC area over the next couple of weeks - they'll need funds to help pay for the Inauguration Ceremony.
Old 01-20-09, 07:24 AM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

that's unheard of...
Not unheard of, that's actually the way its supposed to be done... What really sucks is that they give off tickets whenever they feel like it. Give tint tickets all the time, that way everybody takes them off and nobody has to stress.

+2 with Dennis and Soup, pay to play $$$, I don't run a front license plate and just took off my front tints so I can get inspection done. Might just keep em off for a different look
Old 01-20-09, 12:40 PM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

like someone said before don't consider it a tint ticket... consider it a tint tax...
Old 01-20-09, 03:46 PM
pockyby
Pole Position

that's unheard of...
thats nothing once i got 4, 1 for each window
Old 01-20-09, 03:46 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well I think that I hold the current record for tint tickets. I've got 5% all around and 35% on the windshield. They always hit me with 2 tickets one for each window. Bear in mind that rear window tint in NY is now illegal as well unless you have a station wagon or Jeep. That said the price of tint tickets used to be $30 plus a $30 surcharge for a total of $60 per ticket. The surcharges now went up $20 for any ticket so not the fine is $30 plus a $50 surcharge. In Manhattan i got pulled over by TBTA in the Battery tunnel for tints and got hit with one ticket. I got the receipt saying that it was removed and they still charged me $50 because the surcharge is mandatory. In Brooklyn South they dont even look at the receipts the judges are complete a-holes, you present them with the receipt and they look at you and ask did you have the tint on the car when you got pulled over? You say Yeah. They say you're guilty and you gotta pay the whole thing.
Old 01-21-09, 04:03 AM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder78
Bear in mind that rear window tint in NY is now illegal as well unless you have a station wagon or Jeep.
WOW Is this so... When did this law pass?
Now I have to think twice in getting my tints darker
Old 01-21-09, 07:43 AM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Spyder78
Well I think that I hold the current record for tint tickets. I've got 5% all around and 35% on the windshield. They always hit me with 2 tickets one for each window. Bear in mind that rear window tint in NY is now illegal as well unless you have a station wagon or Jeep. That said the price of tint tickets used to be $30 plus a $30 surcharge for a total of $60 per ticket. The surcharges now went up $20 for any ticket so not the fine is $30 plus a $50 surcharge. In Manhattan i got pulled over by TBTA in the Battery tunnel for tints and got hit with one ticket. I got the receipt saying that it was removed and they still charged me $50 because the surcharge is mandatory. In Brooklyn South they dont even look at the receipts the judges are complete a-holes, you present them with the receipt and they look at you and ask did you have the tint on the car when you got pulled over? You say Yeah. They say you're guilty and you gotta pay the whole thing.

Thanks for the info. Vlad.. Now I can stop debating and completely remove my tints

Quick Reply: **** illegal window tint