NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Paint help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-08, 04:24 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Paint help?

anybody in/near RI a painter or know someone who is a painter? I'm trying to figure out if i want to get some paint work done on my car but i don't know of anyone that would do it for a price i could afford haha. I'd pay for the paint obviously but wouldn't have much leftover for compensation.

if anyone would be willing to help me out i'd really appreciate it

for reference purposes i have a 202 Onyx Black 01 Gs300. The front and rear bumpers would need to be sanded, bondoed up to fill and then repainted, and the hood probably the same if not just a sand/reclear.

i know of a place near me that would do it for like 400 bucks which i know is a great deal but i really don't have that kind of cash right now.
Old 10-10-08, 04:47 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't cheap out on paint..A busted up bumper is sometimes better than a cheap paint job...You'll get less if you pay less especially in regards to something as labor intensive as painting and prepping...Bumpers will chip and crack if not prepped right, its a lot of work to sand down a bumper, prep it and paint it...It'll be a better in the long run to save and then do a respray...

BTW, 400 is rock bottom price...My paint shop charges at least $300 per bumper...
Old 10-10-08, 06:38 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by One HoT
I wouldn't cheap out on paint..A busted up bumper is sometimes better than a cheap paint job...You'll get less if you pay less especially in regards to something as labor intensive as painting and prepping...Bumpers will chip and crack if not prepped right, its a lot of work to sand down a bumper, prep it and paint it...It'll be a better in the long run to save and then do a respray...

BTW, 400 is rock bottom price...My paint shop charges at least $300 per bumper...
oh no i agree totally, that 400ish was from a major body shop that i'm pretty well connected to (his business and my family's business have been exchanging jobs for years) so it would have been a special deal, unfortunate i can't afford it

i was more looking along the lines of someone who was actually a professional painter and would do me the favor of sanding/filling/respraying if i sprung for the paint and bondo, and maybe threw in a few extra bucks, though I know something like this would be extremely rare to come across. believe me, of anything i would not want to sacrifice quality at all.

thanks for the advice though, cheers