NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Need a Windshield Repair Shop

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-08, 11:42 AM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Need a Windshield Repair Shop

Can someone recommend a good windshield repair shop/person, preferably in Queens.

Here is the story what happened. .. So ticked off!!
I was driving on the Triborough Bridge (Bronx bond) heading to work around 7:45am. There is construction taken place on the bridge currently. The car in front of me was about 2 ½ car length ahead and no other vehicle was in the other lane. At a sudden glance I see a black object the shape of a medium size marble heading towards the driver side windshield follow by a pretty loud sound when the object hit the glass. At this point I was so ticked off, wondering where this MOTHER came from, since no other vehicle was near me. I assumed it came from a passing car or truck travelling on the opposite side of the bridge. Too ticked off I didn’t bother to get off at the next exit to look at the impact. When I arrived at work I see the object left a slightly deep circle on windshield. Before it spread I would like to have it looked at.

Thanks
Old 02-13-08, 12:14 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The shops on Liberty and 150th are good at what they do. But you need to be selective if you end up getting it replaced as aftermarket glass can leave you worse than when you started.

But you're just looking for a consultation to see if you have the option of repairing, ignoring or replacing the glass right?

You may be better off going to a body (or inspection) shop and let them tell you that since they aren't trying to get your business.
Old 02-13-08, 02:15 PM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
But you're just looking for a consultation to see if you have the option of repairing, ignoring or replacing the glass right?
Consultation is what it is.
Old 02-13-08, 03:59 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah, I would go to an inspection station and get the answer from them. If you can pass inspection you're not looking to replace it then right? At least not right now.
Old 02-13-08, 06:45 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had my windshield repaired this weekend by a mobile company. Came to my house saturday morning and filled a chip from a rock that hit it on thursday.
Old 02-13-08, 07:48 PM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
yeah, I would go to an inspection station and get the answer from them. If you can pass inspection you're not looking to replace it then right? At least not right now.
inspection is not a problem, i recently did my inspection in December. I am more concern about the crack expanding right now.

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
i had my windshield repaired this weekend by a mobile company. Came to my house saturday morning and filled a chip from a rock that hit it on thursday.
how bad was the chip & how much did the mobile company charge?
would greatly appreciate the contact info.. thanks
Old 02-13-08, 09:38 PM
Touge
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 3 small chips (all less than 1/4" in diameter) on my mine, how much do you guys think it would cost to repair ?
Old 02-13-08, 11:49 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it may vary depending on your location but it was 137 for the mobile repair, which you can have your insurance reimburse you if you want. it was these guys that came...

http://www.novusglass.com/

David was the guy that came out, not sure if he services you guys "down south"

Last edited by 1loudLX; 02-13-08 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-23-08, 05:18 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow $137 -- That sounds steep. I'm sure they did a great job, but I have a small sliver on my windshield that I just want to seal to keep it from spreading. So I've asked on the forum for any 'DIY' product I can purchase just to seal the thing. (I don't think it is going to spread as is.. but just to be safe).

A new windshield is under $500.. So that repair is definitely better than a replacement, but is still a quarter at least of a brand new window. If insurance covers it, then no sweat. I run liability on my car though, I always have because I've always paid for my cars in cash all my life.. so I don't have that option (ins claim).

As for Novusglass -- I know in Birmingham,Alabama there is a Novusglass shop. So they are in the south, not sure if they are in all states though.
Old 02-23-08, 07:12 AM
wowitztai
Lexus Champion

isnt there a Safelite over there..they do great work.
Old 02-23-08, 08:29 AM
YoshRX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had a rock chip on mine, I called my car insurance "GEICO" and they sent Safelite to my house and repaired it for free. Just note that the crack or chip has to be size of a quarter. So if I were you, I would call your insurance company and file a claim. Thats why we pay insurance for right?
Old 02-23-08, 09:01 AM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YoshRX300
When I had a rock chip on mine, I called my car insurance "GEICO" and they sent Safelite to my house and repaired it for free. Just note that the crack or chip has to be size of a quarter. So if I were you, I would call your insurance company and file a claim. Thats why we pay insurance for right?
lol, and then the damn *******s increase our premiums...I try not to report anything unlesss I have to...especially with rates like mine man, I think I may very well have the highest rates out of everyone on CL.

--Gluck with getting it fixed man, hopefully you wont even need to!