NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Need my 90,000 service done --HELP--

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-07, 02:01 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When it comes to to the major services 30k, 60k, 90k, I take my car to the dealer. Fluids, alignments, brakes and minor jobs, I take elsewhere. Timing belt/waterpump service has to be done right the first time or else it can spell disaster. Don't cut corners & play cheap when it comes to the major services.
Old 01-13-07, 04:00 PM
LextacyGS4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dashocker,

I work at a dealer, not lexus but three multi franchise including European, Japanese and Domestic makes. Our service department is a disaster, I cant even count how many times they fawk up. Its not where, its WHO works on your car that matters. Do I recommend you take it to the nearest Gulf to get your timing belt dont, NO! but there are shops that are skilled with certain makes that will do just as good of a job if not better than the dealer for a fraction of the cost. Jeff and Gazi both know Lexus, which means either way youre fine. I saved more than half from the quote I got at Lexus, not to mention that in addition I wouldve had to pay retail + tax for parts as they wont install your parts. Besides that small CEL mistake, Im very happy with my service from Jeff, everyone makes mistakes but good shops/people answer for them and make things right.

By the way, how you doing Sean?
Old 01-13-07, 04:26 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LextacyGS4
Dashocker,

I work at a dealer, not lexus but three multi franchise including European, Japanese and Domestic makes. Our service department is a disaster, I cant even count how many times they fawk up. Its not where, its WHO works on your car that matters. Do I recommend you take it to the nearest Gulf to get your timing belt dont, NO! but there are shops that are skilled with certain makes that will do just as good of a job if not better than the dealer for a fraction of the cost. Jeff and Gazi both know Lexus, which means either way youre fine. I saved more than half from the quote I got at Lexus, not to mention that in addition I wouldve had to pay retail + tax for parts as they wont install your parts. Besides that small CEL mistake, Im very happy with my service from Jeff, everyone makes mistakes but good shops/people answer for them and make things right.

By the way, how you doing Sean?
I'm chillin Hey you vanished at the Taste of Lexus event.. I wanted to race you outside the gate Gazi's bro does a great job. He did my brakes, & installed my coilovers and othe minor services for me. GaziII does a great job with our cars no doubt love Gazi & Gazi, but certain services will require calibration requiring the scan tool. In addition, some trouble codes may pop up after certain services especially with the GS.
I rather the dealer do the screw up. They have the bigger pockets if something goes wrong$$$, available parts on site if something additional is needed, Lexus PCM factory scantool/programmer, and the keys to an 07 loaner so i can handle business while my car is being worked on. Just my 2cents
Old 01-13-07, 04:40 PM
LextacyGS4
Lead Lap

I live such a busy life between balancing out my time I have a habit of disappearing from places.

Every time I try to get to a meet something gets in the way. I missed the last meet at Outback, Im going to try to make the one on the 20th, schedule is no excuse to skip out on the NELOC family. I guess I kind of punished myself cause this meet is twice as far.

Factory scan tool and LOANER! big plusses, point taken.
Old 01-16-07, 06:30 PM
eman88
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LextacyGS4
I did mine at Maximum Tuning in Glen Cove. He was highly recommended here and even more recommended on the maxima.org site that I was a previous member of. I paid $285 for the service of the timing belt, water pump, idlers, tentioners, serpentine belt, coolant flush, oil/filter change, etc. I supplied all the parts as well from a local Lexus dealer and showed the receipt. The only problem I had was I got a CEL code about 20 min after leaving there and waited about 3 months to go back to him when he opened on saturdays (he doesnt work sats during the summer and I couldnt afford another day off to see him during the week). I got there and his computer read a P1346 code but it said misfire. I knew it wasnt misfire and had something to do with the service he had performed because it was too coincedental that CEL came on after his service. I checked here, the P1346 is a VVT problem, when I called and told him that he checked his manuals and acknowledged that. I made an appointment and an hour into the appt, he was done and no more CEL. He said that dirt got into the VVT cam sensor so he cleaned all the prongs and that was the issue. He never charged me any more money than the initial $285 as his work was under his own warranty. Stand up guy, just sorry I had to lose so much time dealing with it and it was such a big concern for nothing.

I heard great things about Gazi's shop too but never had first hand experience. So if I were you, id call both and pick based on price and convinience of schedule.

If you choose maximum tuning, make sure Jeff (owner) is the only person to work on your car as I heard he worked at Rallye Lexus as a master tech for 7 years. I cant vouch for the others.
I called him today he did alot of work on my maxima,,,he quoted me $385 for all the items you just mentioned
Old 01-19-07, 05:14 PM
eman88
Lead Lap

I just got my 90,000 service done at Maxima Tuning, everything turned out perfect...the old parts still look new I could driven another 90k before replacement, but hey you never know...I got it done and in head of the game now....
Old 01-19-07, 09:38 PM
LextacyGS4
Lead Lap

sounds good, keep on rolling

By the way, Jeff told me that all my stuff still looked good too but I rather pay $700 now ($400 parts + $300 labor) than have a more expensive problem down the line.
Old 01-20-07, 06:40 AM
eman88
Lead Lap

No Doubt....get done and dont worry about it