Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Power steering fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-03, 11:35 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts
Default Power steering fluid change

I would like to drain the power steering fluid and I noticed that the owners manual lists ATF Dexron II or III. What is in there now doesn't look red but clearish. Curiously and based on the ATF fluid, have any of you used synthetic ATF as power steering fluid?

Is there an easy way to drain this from under the car or is removing the return hose to the reservoir the only way?

Thanks.
Old 07-15-03, 12:31 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Flush

I was starting to hear increasing amounts of noise from my power steering pump & decided to have the fluid flushed. They used a BG flush machine & the process was very similar to "flushing" the Automatic Trans. So far so good! Cost was $65.00.

141,000 on the original ps pump!

damon
Old 07-15-03, 02:01 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

The PS fluid looks like it could be flushed. $65 is good, was that a Lexus dealership job? The PS pump on my last Toyota went 165K before I had the seals replaced.

Last edited by RA40; 07-15-03 at 02:03 AM.
Old 07-15-03, 02:16 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default PS Flush

I had it done at a ProCare Auto center. They operate a chain of Auto Repair facilities.

I doubt that there are many '"gifted" mechanics at the place , but that is the beauty of the machine. It does'nt give a sub-par mechanic the chance to even round off a bolt. Out with the old, in with the new!

There is a list at the BG site which will tell you who has their service gear in your area. Look for BG finda shop.

http://www.bgfindashop.com/

Price w tax was $74.00
Old 07-15-03, 09:33 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

I called the local Lexus dealer and they quoted me $90 less tax. That means I'd get a car wash and depending on the time, either pastries or a cold sandwich.

I'm going to look at the service manual and see what I can figure out. Some of the service procedures aren't as detailed as other Toyota manuals.
Old 07-16-03, 09:30 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

The manual lists Dexron Type II and III ATF fluids. The parts guy at Lexus told me I could use any PS fluid off the shelf. What would you guys suggest?
Old 07-16-03, 10:10 AM
ychachad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, use Dexron III semi Synthetic ($2.97), that's what I did, and it "eventually" quietened and pacified the chirping and whirring on my PS pump. Second, I did it myself, but in stages, with partial changes took me 4 quarts, total 12 bucks. When I did the rear differential change, I purchased an oil bottle pump. With the engine shut, I used the pump to suck the reservoir empty, and filled it with new fluid. Drove the car for a few days and repeated the procedure till the colour of the fluid cleared up considerably, and no more whirring. Yes, with partial changes you never clean the whole thing down, but for 12 bucks you can't beat it with a dip-stick. After that, clean the reservoir at every engine oil change to keep it in shape.

The oil I used was Quaker State Semi Synthetic Dexron III. With the remaining 53 (65 minus 12) bucks, take your mom, dad, and family out for dinner. Enjoy.

Originally posted by RA40
The manual lists Dexron Type II and III ATF fluids. The parts guy at Lexus told me I could use any PS fluid off the shelf. What would you guys suggest?

Last edited by ychachad; 07-16-03 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-21-03, 07:00 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Good question.

I have a 99 RX AWD with 61K. At about 55K, I changed my PS fluid from the regular Toyota Dex III to Valvoline synthetic PS fluid. Given the bad drivers and road designs + high speeds here, I was not getting good turning power on the Mexican highways. Following the addition of the Valvoline, MUCH BETTER control. Felt like a new car.

On the bottle, it indicates you can add the syn to the regular DEX III. I actually had it pumped out, but we had plenty of fluid left over (had to import it from the States), that we put it into what is essentially a Chevette. There we disconnected the hose to the reservoir, took out the reservoir, and dumped the old fluid, then added synthetic. With that, my mechanic's car also has improved handling but nearly as well as with just synthetic.

I would agree with others that DEX III cuts it in the good ole USA, but not here.
Old 07-21-03, 12:05 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

A spell back I changed all the cars over to synthetic fluids. Due to the age of seals and the nature of synthetics, I also discovered leakage. Since I don't have that BG pump to completely flush the PS, I think I'll use the Dexron III. The Lexus dealer wants $90 for the job. I may call Toyota and see.
Old 07-21-03, 02:05 PM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

I think you are doing the right thing there. I would never use PS or even a Brake Fluid synthetic at sea level. However, at 7,700 feet in Mexico City, the synthetic works like a charm in handling and stopping power and I did not feel this using the regular DEX III. However, I had a friend with an '01 ES 300 and when he took it back to Texas, it developed leaks from using the synthetic. I am convinced it is an altitude thing.
Old 07-21-03, 10:10 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

>>at 7,700 feet in Mexico City, the synthetic works like a charm in handling and stopping power and I did not feel this using the regular DEX III.

Interesting.

At the 60K service interval, I went to Valvoline's synthetic brake fluid. I'm going to do the PS fluid tomorrow with the Dexron III. With the differntial, I haven't decided. Have you notcied any differences in your differential betwene regular and synthetic?

Some guys on another Toyota forum when switching to synthetic in tranny and differential gained a mile per gallon they stated.
Old 07-22-03, 06:43 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

I really have not noticed any difference in differential.

When Lexus switched me in the ATF department, from Castrol Dex III to Toyota Type-iV ATF, I did notice much improved shifting (no coughing) at altitude. I have a friend with an SC430 here (couple of people have crashed looking at it instead of the road) and he used Mobil 1 ATF, and feels there is better performance than with the Type-IV. Either way, I really do not think you can go wrong.

Incidentally, when I asked my local Toyota dealer to change my ATF recently, they had no clue what Type-IV was.

The Vaolvine synthetic brake fluid works like a charm here. If you ever live here, you have to switch out your front brakes or they will go in three months. Put on EBC brakes and much better stopping power.

Last edited by Lexmexico; 07-22-03 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-31-03, 04:25 PM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I switched both my Lexi PS to Amsoil ATF. I just unhooked the return hose and extended it into my used oil container and kept pouring ATF into the reservior until the fluid became same color as my new ATF fluid. I believe I used 3-4 qts.
Old 03-01-04, 12:11 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I did the same thing this weekend. But I helped the fluid flow out faster by manually turning the power steering pump pulley.

The serpentine/accessory belt must first be loosened, which I accomplished by jamming a 10" 2x4 between the sway bar and the handle of a socket wrench attached to the tensioner pully.

Once that's loose, you can easily control the outflow rate. Of course, you can get the same effect by tickling the starter, but I was by myself and preferred the manual approach.
Old 03-01-04, 12:37 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

I leave my car on, and siphen (sp?) out my fluid from the resouvoir once a month.. I get out about 1/4 a qt every time during this process and refill it with Valvoline Maxline ATF, since i got the notorious 1st gen LS P/s pump.. but i've never had a problem. still original pump at 188k to my knowledge

Quick Reply: Power steering fluid change