Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Negotiating with your Lexus dealership service

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-15, 12:02 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Negotiating with your Lexus dealership service

Hi all

Saw this old thread about negotiable rates with the Lexus shop and just wanted to see what your luck has been on getting your Lexus dealer to work with you on labor rates/parts? This isn't a Lexus vs Independent shop debate, but merely curious as to your own experiences in working with your Lexus service departments.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...egotiable.html

For those of you who have a little bit if time, I also found this to be an interesting read on how service advisers have targets/quotas (and make commission) almost like anyone else at that dealership so I "assume" they will work with you to close the repair sale...
http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/conf...epartment.html

Just interested to get your perspectives on this that's all
Old 02-19-15, 06:57 PM
chris621
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work in a service department but for Chrysler and honestly you can negotiate service but usually varies on a couple factors; if you've been going there a while, spent a good amount of money and if the service rep is friendly and willing to work with you because some are just plain rude even where I work.
Old 02-19-15, 07:04 PM
chris621
Driver School Candidate

and they do have targets at the end of each month. if they hit a certain number and especially if they get over a certain percentage in CSI they'll get a bonus
Old 02-20-15, 06:57 AM
IFRPilot
Driver School Candidate

I work for Toyota as a service adviser and can say that i am willing to work with most customers within reason. Theres only so much we can flex on things. 10-15% discounts are pretty standard.

Our job REVOLVES around CSI. Unfortunately, and i speak for most service advisers, management is dangling our jobs over our heads with it. It is impossible to make every customer happy, and these surveys ask all sorts of silly questions that factor our CSI number.
Old 03-09-15, 09:56 PM
Turkish
Driver School Candidate

I work as a service advisor for a Lexus dealer in SoCal and I can tell you a few things that will help...now this doesn't go for every dealer but it does for ours.

1) Shop around local dealerships for pricing. Not every dealership does, but ours will usually match a competing Lexus dealer.

2) As mentioned above, having a history with the dealership is always a plus. Some of our well established customers have special discounts with us.

3) Being polite and nice goes a long way. Sure sometimes you can get your way if you complain about every single thing but that might only work once or twice. Believe it or not but I am more likely to bend over backwards for a courteous customer than one who treats me like I am beneath them.

4) Kinda common sense but visit the dealers websites for coupons.

5) Probably the most important that ties in with the rest is ask. Not all dealerships are the greedy money pits people would have you to believe, this is somewhat dependent on the advisor. If price is your concern, depending on the service sometimes there is a little room for negotiation. I have had the "ok" from my manager to give as much as $500 off a service because the customer had a history with us and he was going through some financial troubles.
Old 03-09-15, 10:39 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

i recieved quotes last week for timing belt service and valve cover gaskets and quotes were really far apart for the timing service and water pump.. i was shocked.... 2 dealers one in different county with completely different quotes..
Old 03-10-15, 08:36 PM
Turkish
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tmf2004
i recieved quotes last week for timing belt service and valve cover gaskets and quotes were really far apart for the timing service and water pump.. i was shocked.... 2 dealers one in different county with completely different quotes..
Maybe have something to do with location and proximity to "richer" areas? We aren't too far from two dealerships who you could consider in more upscale neighborhoods and our prices are often less expensive than theirs.

A lot of it has to do with perception believe it or not lol.