Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Defective ES Engines???

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-03, 06:30 AM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another pic...
Attached Thumbnails Defective ES Engines???-oilgel3.jpg  
Old 03-29-03, 11:40 AM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I bet that RX in the picture was running like new, only burn a lot of oil. The V-6 engine on the ES or RX is very well bluid IMO. It will take the abuse very well without any sign of problem.
Old 03-29-03, 01:46 PM
cheapsk8
Driver

Question

Is there any oil additive that will flush out the sludge?
Old 03-29-03, 08:06 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Originally posted by cheapsk8
Is there any oil additive that will flush out the sludge?
No, the heads will have to be removed and cleaned in a hot tank. The oil sludge has the same texture as sticky hot fudge.
Old 03-29-03, 08:32 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

who ever drove that RX with the Gelling problem SHOULD HAVE BEEN SENT to IRAQ and trap in front of a tank.
Old 03-30-03, 07:58 AM
James2210
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Wow-that engine looks like it's been covered in my mother in law's gravy (although, her gravy has more lumps in it).

Lexus should put these photos in the owners manual so that people can see what happens if they go millions of miles without a change
Old 03-30-03, 03:33 PM
cheapsk8
Driver

Question

Under what circumstances will Toyota authorize a repair? Does your engine have to seize up first or is there any way they can check it to see if there is any gelling before it becomes problem? Also, synthetic oil way to go?

thanks
-c
Old 03-30-03, 06:24 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Right now Lexus is giving dealerships an open check book for these repairs. Most complaints start with burning oil issues, or blue smoke when starting. Anyone who owns a car that falls within the proper vin range can go to a dealer and ask to have their car checked for a potential oil gelling problem. The dealer will simply get paid to remove the valve covers to inspect for the problem. That inspection will determine if more is needed to be looked at.

DD
Old 04-02-03, 06:45 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Here is another pic with the oil pan removed...
Attached Thumbnails Defective ES Engines???-oilgel6.jpg  
Old 04-02-03, 10:27 PM
Sooner
Pole Position

i've seen a some of those its all from neglect change your oil and you will be fine
Old 09-27-03, 01:18 PM
grt
Driver School Candidate

Default 94 ES Blown Engine at 116,000

I have always taken great care of my ES. Car was running great one day, as it always did. My wife was traveling at about 65 on the freeway when she heard a loud explosion and the car stopped. When I arrived in response to her cell call, I saw a sickening puddle of oil under the engine. Turns out that it blew a rod right through the engine block. I had it towed to the dealer and was quoted 15K to put a new motor in. I sent it to my mechanic (non-Lexus) and he rounded up a short block, went through that and rebuilt the heads all for about $2500. I am picking it up monday but will probably drive it to the local dealer and trade it in for a 2001.

Does anyone have experience with rebuilding these engines? I really love this car and have kept it like new. Even a concourse Lexus is no good with a hole in the block!

Even though I haven't heard it run yet, I just don't have a lot of confidence in the car after this.

grt
Old 09-28-03, 11:50 AM
ripe911
Pole Position

grt, sorry to hear that. Even if that car ran great after the repair I still wouldn't want it.

I took my '00 Gs400 to get an oil change at one of those '10 min oil change' places and they had an advertisement for a new thing they have called an "Engine Flush" . It read: Why put new oil to a dirty engine". They said that they drain the old oil first then they power flush the engine with I dont know what it was. Then they add the new oil The cost was $120. I passed on it because I didnt know too much about it yet. Anyone try this yet?
Old 09-28-03, 11:52 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$15K for a new motor on a '94!! Sheesh, you could get a nice 97 or 98 ES with that money...(though make sure it had its oil changed--those 97-98s had a sludge issue, you know )

Good call taking it to a trusted independent shop for a motor rebuild. And post pics on the ES board if you pic up a new one
Old 09-28-03, 12:27 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DD, tks for the pics, unbelieveable!

I'm going to stick with synth every 5k, more especially after seeing that. I wish the dealers carried synth. though,

LEXUS, why not make synth. available at dealers?
Old 09-28-03, 01:30 PM
grt
Driver School Candidate

Squarehat:

Although it's a 94, it's in very good shape. Don't know what happenedl The mechanic said that a rod bearing went bad and the heat caused the rod to break and go through the side of the block. I'm an engineer and have been racing trucks off-road for years, so I'll know more when I view the remains.

The point is moot, anyway. I was on the verge of selling it and figured I could get maybe 8K for it. I dropped about $2500 on it fixing the engine but without doing that, It would have been worthless. I don't have time to part it out.

Hopefully it will run well enough to sell PP and I'll start my search for another Oyster White ES (2001) with low mileage. I like the ES. Smooth, quiet, fuel efficient. Great car for all the freeway driving I do. I don't care for the newer body style, however, so a new one is out!

This time I'm going to break it in on dynosaur oil and switch to Mobil One at first Oil Change.

grt

Quick Reply: Defective ES Engines???