Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Remove front seat motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-14, 05:08 PM
sparkyguy
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Remove front seat motor

Vehicle Year: 1993
Model: SC-400
Problems with passenger-side seat motor.

I had a previous post requesting a wiring diagram, but I ultimately found that my problem is a broken plastic coupling between the slide-base motor and one of the screw-axle rails on the passenger-side seat. Unfortunately, I can't see how to get access to the motor to remove it. Is the motor removed from below, or is the seat-cushion removed first and done from above? If the cushion comes out first, how the heck do you get it out? I've messed with it for over 3 hours today and it appears that all of the screws are behind other plastic trim pieces which prevents their removal. I can't RAISE the seat as suggested for disassembly of the Driver's seat because it appears the passenger seat does not have that feature and cannot be raised. If the lower trim piece (that wraps around the lower front and side) needs to come off first, then how do you remove the seat-back lever? The seat-back lever appears to be attached to it's shaft from the inside of the seat.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by sparkyguy; 04-28-14 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Forgot car model and year
Old 04-29-14, 09:48 AM
sparkyguy
Rookie

Messed with seat for another hour today and I'm just about ready to cut the seat out.

I'm convinced I need to remove seat cushion first. I got 3 bolts out, but it seems to be stuck on the outside near the back-adjust lever. Is there another bolt I can't see or remove there? If so, how do I get access? The back-adjust lever looks like it can't be removed because it is held in place by an interior clip. Therefore, I can't remove the lower trim piece that wraps from front around to the outside.

Somebody on the forum must have disassembled a passenger seat or has a manual that can assist. Anybody take bribes? I'll buy you lunch if you can get to Springfield, IL.
Old 05-11-16, 01:18 AM
pappysc400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hy Partner (sparkguy) Did you ever find out how to manually move your power seat so that you could remove it from the vehicle? I'm faced with that same problem! I'll buy you the dinner if you will tell me how to manually move a non-functioning power seat in my 1992-93 SC400?

pappysc400
Old 05-16-16, 07:44 AM
sparkyguy
Rookie

It's been a while and I'm not absolutely certain I recall. However, I think I eventually got the lever clip off by "fishing" a stiff wire that I bent into a "J" shape and then snagged the clip to pull it off the lever. With the clip removed, the lever slides right off the shaft. During reassembly, re-install the lever by installing the clip on the lever first, then push the lever & clip on the shaft together. It will snap into place.

It's been a while since I did this repair and I've had a lot of other repair struggles on this vehicle since then. My bad, I should have immediately re-posted what method I found successful. However, I'm fairly sure I ended up fishing it off as described above. There are similar clips used on the door handles and cranks of a lot of older American cars and there is a simple $5 tool to remove them which you can get at any auto supply house. However, I didn't think that tool would work on the Lexus seat because the clip is so inaccessible.

Good luck.