Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Changing fog light bulbs on 93 GS 300

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-02, 12:19 PM
Sovero1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help changing fog lights on 93 GS 300

I am a newbie and would like some tips on how to access the fog light assembly to change the OEM bulbs to Xenon ones. People keep telling me to look for some screws to easily pop out the light, but I cannot find them.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

Last edited by Sovero1; 10-15-02 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-17-02, 11:50 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to get with Jmai. I think he did exactly that. Pretty sure he did a write-up about it in the 1st gen forum. let us know how it goes.
Old 10-18-02, 03:16 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

lets have a moderator move this to the first gen300 forum.

when you say xenon do you mean cheap 20 dollar xenon or real 500 dollar xenon. there is quiet a difference

Well first off. don't try to put real xenon into the stock foglight housing. trust me i tried it and it was actually a lot worst than the stock halogen bulb was. here is why.

On the H3 bulb the filement is perpendicular to the bulb. like this +. with the filement sideways like this it causes the light to go straight out like its suppose to. on a HID bulb the filament or capsule is parrellel like this |i| causing the light to come out from the side.

The H3 housing was designed to just control the light and to direct the few broken light beam in the right direction. so if you try to stick a real HID bulb in the stock fog light housing the housing just takes the light and shoots it all over the place. due to the fact that the capsule is parralel with the bulb it causes the light to come out from the sides. the stock light housing wasn't design to get this much light from these areas so you get really bright spots on the far left and far right. and there is no way to aim it. I also had to take out the glare guard because the HID bulb is considerably longer

What i just actually did today was i went out a bought a Pilot PL-720C series projector fog light and did a HID retro to that housing. make sure you get the C series because thats the one with the clear lens. if you get B series it will have a blue lens.

http://www.geocities.com/jvxdriver/h...conversion.htm

here is the webpage i used to do my conversion. i just actually finished doing the conversion today.

The only reason why i did it is because i was previosly using the stock fog light housing and it sucked soo bad. If you do the retro on the page above there is some modifying that you will have to do because no one sell's a H3 kit. but if you can find one you may still have to change it a little.

I'm using this these fog lights right now and they light up the road VERY VERY well with my BMW 5 series low beam retrofit.. They even change color from all different angles. if anyone wants to see my HID's setup they are more than welcome to. i'm in the LA/OC area. if you want to see them just PM me. and we can meet up at night or something to check em out. Also if you want i could do the Fog light retro for you because it takes a lot work and i'll just charge really cheap+ parts. sorry no digi cam.

Last edited by Jmai22; 10-18-02 at 03:19 AM.
Old 10-18-02, 07:57 AM
Sovero1
Pole Position

Jmai22,

Thanks for your reply. Whereas I wish I were doing the real HID retro kit, I just cannot afford that right now. So I am stuck with using cheap $20 Xenon H3 type bulbs (they were actually $30 for 2).

That simplifies the install for me quite a bit. My biggest problem is those little grey covers that just won't come off and give me access to the screws. I tried moving it around while pulling on it, but I am affraid to pull too hard. Any advice on that?

I am also putting hyper white bulbs instead of my regular OEM ones for back-up lights, hoping they'll yield more light.

Last edited by Sovero1; 10-18-02 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-18-02, 01:33 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

actually the stock reverse light are as good as its gonna get. the reverse light housing was design to emmit light to let other driver know you are going to back up. there is not a reflective shield to actually produce light to light the road up. i owuld stick with OEM. also if you put in those hyper white you get that nasty blue bulb inside that looks really crappy.

Oh forgot to answer you original question. To remove those plastic pieces you have to take a flat head screw driver and pop out the top first. its kinda tricky. they are pretty flimsy so be careul they may break.