LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1998-2000 Ls400 Fog Lights, The easiest upgrade for added light ever.

Old 03-16-07, 10:02 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool 1998-2000 Ls400 Fog Lights, The easiest upgrade for added light ever.

I had a fog light blow the other day and realised one of my HID bulbs had blown.
So i proceeded to remove the light from fog light to find the bulb had cracked.
When i took the bulbs to my basement i had to remove my collars as i rebased the d2s bulbs and put a 9006 base on.
I had to use an old fog light i had to make sure i had clearance on the original bulbs in the housing. I then realised there is a metal shroud inside the foglight to reduce glare.
I wondered how hard it was to remove as it was an old foglight and it took 2 minutes to fold and snap out as it is made of tin . It is basically a U with the bulb inserted at the top of it. It then has flaps on both sides to envelope the bulb . You have to pry the flaps inwards to the upper and lower main arms . You then wiggle it back and forth and it snaps off . Then pull it out and it is read to go very easily. It is so easy the the light output is 40% better as 90% of the bulbs were covered . Just replace the old bulbs and you are good to go . It does create a wider pattern but glare does not seem to be an issue but i never drive with the m on unless i have a reason to use them.
Old 03-16-07, 10:16 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you can do another upgrade by using modded 9005 high beam bulbs in the fogs
no danger to wiring either.

Wont work for HID though.

ur running 3000k right? some pics pls
Old 03-16-07, 10:27 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
you can do another upgrade by using modded 9005 high beam bulbs in the fogs
no danger to wiring either.

Wont work for HID though.

ur running 3000k right? some pics pls
9005 bulbs in fogs are crazy bro LOL. The 9005s would fit perfectly into my Lincoln LS and I put the Silverstar Ultras in them.

There wasn't a time where someone at night wouldn't flash their lights at me for being so bright. You could drive with just the fogs on if you wanted too.

Plus I wired the fogs to work with my highbeams so I had two sets of highs on the road when no one was around.

Although I think my HIDs are much brighter than both of the silverstars together.
Old 03-16-07, 10:33 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Well i am using stock 4300k xenarc d2s bulbs in my fogs so combine this with no more light diffuser and it is bright beyond what you thought it could be.
My fogs are actually brighter than my 3000k Headlights now but the light is too scattered to be great for driving.
Old 03-07-10, 04:35 PM
jonny0017
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it possible to put HIDs in as fog lights?
Old 03-07-10, 05:05 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

yep it is...many members are running it.
Old 03-07-10, 05:23 PM
jonny0017
Driver School Candidate

i've been searching but couldn't find anything about it.
is it a difficult job?
how do i get the fog light cover off properly? i feel like i am going to break it.
am i correct that the fog light for a 99 ls400 is a 9006?
Old 04-09-10, 12:28 AM
big basset
Driver

Originally Posted by jonny0017
i've been searching but couldn't find anything about it.
is it a difficult job?
how do i get the fog light cover off properly? i feel like i am going to break it.
am i correct that the fog light for a 99 ls400 is a 9006?
yes it is a 9006. I need to replace a blown bulb as well. can't find anything on this site. i will see what i can do. Dont want to removed anything i dont have to to get to the bad bulb
Old 04-09-10, 06:25 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just pull the one phillips that holds the outer dummy lens in, then there's a screw fo rthe foglight housing, remove that, then gently pull the fog housig out. it has a pop in fitting for the backside that holds it in there.

OP- nice tip!
Old 04-09-10, 09:24 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Cool I was looking for this a few months ago! Hey PD can you put this in the LS info thread since this is a very useful mod?
Old 04-28-10, 09:38 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

I think I am going to try this today. I'll report back on the performance when I get a chance.
Old 04-28-10, 12:12 PM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

I did it and it took me about 30 minutes. I'm surprised any light gets out with the shield design over the bulbs . I'll give another description on what the shield looks like, imagine a brace you put on your finger when you jam it and that is exactly what it looks like. To me the hardest part was getting the shield out of the housing after breaking it off.

From the looks of it it is brighter but I won't be able to tell just how much until tonight. I have some front end damage where my headlights are busted and aimed downward somewhat so the fogs have served a higher purpose than usual in my case so I will really be able to tell the difference right away.

Also I already had a Volt HID kit installed, so it was bright to begin with. It looks like the color changed slightly too. The Volt kit is 6000k but the color is just slightly more blue than my 6000k lows which have a slight purple tint. After I did the fog mod the fogs look to have a slight purple tint now also.

I'll report back this evening with the verdict.
Old 04-29-10, 08:35 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Hey people this is a great mod that everyone should do if they have a 98-00 LS. It's much more light output than with the shield installed. for a useful free mod, thanks skperformance for the info.
Old 04-30-10, 01:13 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

no worries , I am sure it has helped a few people in the 3 years since I posted it.
Old 02-17-12, 08:00 AM
ravig292
Rookie

Originally Posted by j three
I did it and it took me about 30 minutes. I'm surprised any light gets out with the shield design over the bulbs . I'll give another description on what the shield looks like, imagine a brace you put on your finger when you jam it and that is exactly what it looks like. To me the hardest part was getting the shield out of the housing after breaking it off.

From the looks of it it is brighter but I won't be able to tell just how much until tonight. I have some front end damage where my headlights are busted and aimed downward somewhat so the fogs have served a higher purpose than usual in my case so I will really be able to tell the difference right away.

Also I already had a Volt HID kit installed, so it was bright to begin with. It looks like the color changed slightly too. The Volt kit is 6000k but the color is just slightly more blue than my 6000k lows which have a slight purple tint. After I did the fog mod the fogs look to have a slight purple tint now also.

I'll report back this evening with the verdict.
so the tin cover in the fogs is the reason why my 6000k hids look a little blue?! i've been wondering all this time why they dont exactly match my 6000k lows i think i might do this mod!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1998-2000 Ls400 Fog Lights, The easiest upgrade for added light ever.