Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Windshield glass cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-11, 06:30 AM
soda7o
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield glass cleaning?

i have a problem... well more of an annoyance.
I just bought a 2004 rx 330 and the windshield has, I don’t even know what to call it.. I guess grime or residue (common in many used cars)
During the day it is not a problems but driving in the rain especially at night it becomes an issue. This grime/residue affects visibility. I tried to Windex the windshield and it helped a but still there. The other day my wife got those MR clean magic eraser sponges to clean the kitchen/bathroom and I was reading the back of the box and it says it can be used ot clean glass ( even says automotive glass)

Has anyone tried this?
Did it work? (this magic eraser works like a charm around the house)
Will it damage the windshield ( not sure what chemicals are in there and what (if any) glaze that might be on the windshield)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-27-11, 06:47 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

In my experience, generally, if it says not to use a product on something, don't use it, you won't like the results...

what you need is something abrasive but won't scratch the glass... newspaper works well for this... the other alternative is to not use windex, but instead use something like simple green first... this may leave streaks, so, simple green and newspaper first, then windex to polish...

then, you need to prevent it, so stop using products like armor all on the dash...
Old 09-27-11, 09:31 AM
soda7o
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
In my experience, generally, if it says not to use a product on something, don't use it, you won't like the results...

what you need is something abrasive but won't scratch the glass... newspaper works well for this... the other alternative is to not use windex, but instead use something like simple green first... this may leave streaks, so, simple green and newspaper first, then windex to polish...

then, you need to prevent it, so stop using products like armor all on the dash...
thanks for the advice. i bought the car used, i personally do not use oil prodcts to shine up my interior. and the issue seems to be on the outside of the window.

the sponge says safe to use on auto glass but was wonderign if anyone has done it.
Old 09-27-11, 09:40 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Condensation will form on the window (inside surface) when the humidity is high.......you can't get away with it.

Turn on the AC!
Old 09-27-11, 11:59 AM
soda7o
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BDSL
Condensation will form on the window (inside surface) when the humidity is high.......you can't get away with it.

Turn on the AC!
its not condensation...
but thanks for the advice.
Old 09-27-11, 07:20 PM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Try using a clay bar then try a light compound. I use meguires ultimate compound with a buffer and the windshield came out great!
Old 09-27-11, 07:49 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

hmm well i use this product..u can get this or similar from local auto shop (auto zone or advance auto parts).. And use advance microfiber towel. I say spray that product A LOT!!! both inside and outside the glass..let it sit for few minutes and wipe it off
hopefully it should work
Attached Thumbnails Windshield glass cleaning?-glass-cleaner.jpg  
Old 09-28-11, 06:46 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by j three
Try using a clay bar then try a light compound. I use meguires ultimate compound with a buffer and the windshield came out great!
yup... didn't realize it was on the outside - that is easy to deal with... its when its on the inside that is a bear...

like j three said, buff it / polish it... then get some rain-x wipes...
Old 09-28-11, 06:56 AM
soda7o
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
yup... didn't realize it was on the outside - that is easy to deal with... its when its on the inside that is a bear...

like j three said, buff it / polish it... then get some rain-x wipes...
thanks
i cleaned it with windex which improved a bit but not much also changed the wiper blades which helped a but but still an issue
hopefully this weekend is going to be dry so i can try to do the whole buff/polish.
driving last night in the rain was not fun
Old 10-03-11, 04:49 AM
rayon78
Driver School Candidate

I use only meguaris ultimate compound for this and it works great .
Old 10-03-11, 08:36 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by imherenow
hmm well i use this product..u can get this or similar from local auto shop (auto zone or advance auto parts).. And use advance microfiber towel. I say spray that product A LOT!!! both inside and outside the glass..let it sit for few minutes and wipe it off
hopefully it should work
Stoners Invisible Glass is AMAZING. I use it nearly every day when I am home. I buy it in bulk at sams or costco (12 cans at a time) and use it on everything, home windows, auto glass (tinted and not), even my glass coffee table and outdoor dinette set.

After you use it, use a carnuba wax on your windshield. I actually prefer Meguiar's #26, but you can use a synthetic (like Meguiar's NXT) if you want. In my experience, NXT last longer, but dusts all over the place. I only have to apply the wax to the windshield when I wax the truck. Use the Rain-X orange washer fluid instead of random Blue brand, and it wont strip the wax off. Cuts your wiper usage in half. In the rainiest state in the US, I rarely use my wipers.