Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Can I replace the brakes myself?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-02, 06:34 PM
LexFather

Thanks guys, I think so people don't argue, I'll have Lexus install them

Just kidding, but I am going to let the dealer install them per Mean Gene's reccomendation (highly valued). Thanks everyone for the help!
Old 09-20-02, 10:33 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Thanks guys, I think so people don't argue, I'll have Lexus install them

Just kidding, but I am going to let the dealer install them per Mean Gene's reccomendation (highly valued). Thanks everyone for the help!
NOOOO, DON'T LET THE DEALER WORK ON IT!!!

How do you know the dealer mechanic does what he suppose to. I seen friends work at Mazda, Toyota, and Honda dealership. Some do good work, some I will never let him even wash my car. Only bring to people (the mechanic) that you trust if you on't want to do it yourself.

I don't know Jack about brake three years ago. Since then I changed the pads on my 93 Honda Prelude, 90 Accord EX disc front drum rear, changed front calipers and rotors on my 93 SC400, and a completely new set of Grand Sport calipers, brackets and rotors on my 88 Corvette. If I take my cars out to the shop for everything, do you think I can afford all my toys. I haven't kill myself or anyone yet. I do have all the factory repair manuals for all the cars I have though. Alway buy repair manual as soon as I got the car...
Old 09-21-02, 12:03 PM
LexFather

VQT, I feel your argument. I think a Lexus manual is $200 maybe a lil more. I pretty trust my service dude and his team on my car as they have always gotten the job right the first time.

On the other hand, my many readings have led me to believe changing it is not that tough. Many magazines have step by step instructions on how to change them. Though none are on the ES 300 (closest is the IS 300), I figure it could not be too hard.

But replacing all 4 is only like $300+ dollars, so I think I'll go the safe route. Thanks for your input
Old 09-21-02, 12:32 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by VQT

NOOOO, DON'T LET THE DEALER WORK ON IT!!!

How do you know the dealer mechanic does what he suppose to. I seen friends work at Mazda, Toyota, and Honda dealership. Some do good work, some I will never let him even wash my car. Only bring to people (the mechanic) that you trust if you on't want to do it yourself.

Oh please! So because some of your friends are untrained or do lousy repair work you think there are many lexus techs the same? I think it's an insult to assume a lexus tech would do an improper brake repair. We are talking about a repair, that if done wrong could kill someone. I agree that you should take it to someone you trust. That's why I like to talk with the owners as much as possible. I want them to trust me so they will ask for me again and again. I very sorry some of your friends are not like that. Maybe they need to work at a better dealership.

DD
Old 09-22-02, 01:07 PM
muldrick
Rookie

Obviously VQT has a real disgust against dealers and I can understand that. They can be expensive (most are) and some can be complete rip-offs, but the same goes for aftermarket shops. I've worked at some royal rip-off places (not for long).
I think the bottom line is this: Sick has some interest in working on his own car...great! He should have someone show him how to do all the work he plans to do (the brakes are prob' done by now) , or go to the dealer OR any repair shop that has a good reputation (although I do recommend using Lexus parts) but stick with the same (non rip-off) mechanic/shop.
There is alot of negativity about dealerships and I understand why, but the biggest advantage is that most do good work and they use OE parts. I think oe parts should go on all cars:Ford, Chevy, Subaru, whatever. Anyway...just my opinion....
Old 09-22-02, 04:32 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by DevildogIS300
Oh please! So because some of your friends are untrained or do lousy repair work you think there are many lexus techs the same? I think it's an insult to assume a lexus tech would do an improper brake repair. We are talking about a repair, that if done wrong could kill someone. I agree that you should take it to someone you trust. That's why I like to talk with the owners as much as possible. I want them to trust me so they will ask for me again and again. I very sorry some of your friends are not like that. Maybe they need to work at a better dealership. DD
My white SC400 was service by Lexus Dealership in DE from new until I bought it at 104K miles. The brake pads was replaced by the dealer and about 5K miles before I bought the car they replace the right rear rotor and pads without replace the other side . The front brake sliding pins were never took out for inspection or regrease . The shop manual read, replace pins and clips everytime you change brake pads.
I have all service history print out
I know friends that do good work too. I just want to point out that there are many that don't. I understand about the time the dealer charge the customer and the actual time the mechanic work on the car. Some of the mechanic gets pay 22hrs of work for an 8 hrs day work
Old 09-24-02, 05:52 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

1SICK

Here's my two cents. I will not lecture you on the safety or risk, etc blah..blah..blah. You are an adult and I assume that you are aware of it. Here's a simple answer to your simple question.

The nice thing about the 92 ES is that the rotor will disengage once the 5 main wheel bolts and the caliper has been removed.

The caliper has two bolts in the back. Just unscrew them and then hang the entire unit with a rope or wire hanger on the car's suspension. At that point, you should be able to take out the old pads. Note the placement of the small metal hardware inserted in the pads. Replace the the new pads. It's best to treat it first with anti-squeal compound. Replace the metal hardware back (clips and such). Use a C-clamp or use a long iron wrench to leverage the brake piston back until it sits snug back in the cylinder. Install the new pad in the caliper, install rotor (preferably turned or machined), screw the caliper and tighten really good, and install the wheel. That's all there is to it.

If your brakes appear mushy, drive it for a couple of days and if still mushy, perform brake bleeding.
Old 10-03-02, 02:53 PM
epineffreen
Driver School Candidate

when in doubt ask your dad.... well only if he's good with cars... i learned how to change my rotors and pads in half an hour... its not too hard... just don't forget all the little bits and pieces.... also it doesn't hurt to read up on how the whole braking system works and all of its components....

gee
Old 10-03-02, 11:47 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb More Input

I didn't mean to imply that 1SICK COULDN'T do his brakes. In fact, I did my first brake job MANY years ago with just a shop manual. If he has either a manual or a friend with brake experience, by all means jump in there & get your hands dirty!! I've always contended that NO ONE will take care of your car like YOU will but that's not to say that all Lexus techs R bad. In fact, mine drives an 11 second MR2 with nitrous ( my kinda guy!! )
BTW - ALWAYS bleed the air out your brake lines after any brake job. It's a bit messy ( & usually a 2 person job unless U have the $75 brake bleeder setup from Griots ) but U don't want ANY air in the system ( regardless of pedal feel ).
Old 10-04-02, 12:53 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

I never say all mechanic are bad. The Lex tech that got offended please re read my posts. I said some are bad to the point that I don't even want them to wash my car (a mechanic can't even wash a car ). I also said some are very good, did everything the customer didn't even ask and don't even put extra charge on to the bill because it was his job to do the correct way. Like Mean Gene said, no body does a good job as the owner does to his car.

I know friends that do good work too. I just want to point out that there are many that don't. I understand about the time the dealer charge the customer and the actual time the mechanic work on the car. Some of the mechanic gets pay 22hrs of work for an 8 hrs day work

Last edited by VQT; 10-04-02 at 12:57 AM.
Old 10-04-02, 06:32 PM
LexFather

Here's my two cents. I will not lecture you on the safety or risk, etc blah..blah..blah. You are an adult and I assume that you are aware of it. Here's a simple answer to your simple question.
Thanks dude, that info is much appreciated.
I didn't mean to imply that 1SICK COULDN'T do his brakes.
Yes u did, them be fighting words bub (J/K)

I am getting a very qualified person to help me this weekend. Thanks everyone!
Old 12-17-02, 07:41 PM
SandRock
Lead Lap

How did it turn out.