Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Can I replace the brakes myself?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-02, 02:33 AM
LexFather

Default Can I replace the brakes myself?

On a 92 ES 300. Seems simple enough. I've done some reading on it. Has anyone here done it themselves? Thanks, I am talking about replacing the rotors and pads.
Old 09-16-02, 09:54 AM
mlevk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a manual it should be easy .
Especailly with earlier models , they are
basically simple TOYOTA designs.

HAve you ever done Brakes on any type of car ?

I have a 91 LS , takes about 20 mins each side
once the car is up.
Old 09-17-02, 04:46 PM
LexFather

No I don't have a manual, or I would not have asked the question.

No I have never done brakes before.
Old 09-18-02, 01:27 AM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Too bad you can't just cruise by my house, I'd do it for ya!

DD
Old 09-18-02, 04:57 AM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by DevildogIS300
Too bad you can't just cruise by my house, I'd do it for ya!

DD
Where you at?
Old 09-18-02, 10:00 AM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Originally posted by kreativ

Where you at?

I'm right here!

I believe your in the Torrance/South Bay area!
Old 09-18-02, 02:46 PM
muldrick
Rookie

"No I don't have a manual, or I would not have asked the question"

"No I have never done brakes before."

If you haven't done brakes before (and don't have a manual) I would highly recommend NOT doing them yourself. I have seen to many "do it youselfers" mess up some serious stuff, and these were guys that "know what they're doing"

Brakes, for obvious reasons, are quite important.
If you're interested in doing things yoursel I would either get trained or at least have a qualified tech show you.
Old 09-18-02, 03:35 PM
Lvangundy

Who's in the torrance/south bay area?

I am.
Old 09-18-02, 06:34 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
No I don't have a manual, or I would not have asked the question.

No I have never done brakes before.
Do you have tools? Torque wrench? breaker bar? jack and jack stands? If you know how to use those tools I just mention, I can walk you through the step. Since you never change the brake pads before, you also need to buy one of those thing that squeeze the brake cylinder back in place for the new pads.
If you don't know what I am talking about, have someone else do it while you watch or help so you can learn. Do not have the dealer or a shop that don't allow you to walk in their bay (they don't want you to see how simple and easy it is)
Old 09-18-02, 09:25 PM
muldrick
Rookie

"squeeze the brake cylinder back in place for the new pads"

Brake cylinder???? What the heck is that???
If you're talking about about the caliper piston...I certainly would not just "squeeze" that back into place, without doing some other things first. There are alot a small but important things that most shops don't do. Like opening up the bleeder before pushing the piston back in (so the old fluid does'nt contaminate the rest of the system), removing all the rust from the hub surface, the rotors (before resurfacing them), the pad/caliper brackets, sliders. Installing new anti-rattle clips, and several other things. Yes...you could do them yourself...but not having done brakes before I highly recommend letting a pro do it. I've seen some nasty mistakes made by DIY's, like putting the pads on backwards! (metal against the rotor)
I am a tech at a dealership and I agree that the cost of auto repair is high, there are alot of shoddy techs out there giving us all a bad name, but some of us take pride in our work and do the job right 100%. The reason we don't let customers in the shop truly is for insurance reasons (although many customer watch me work) For me the brake job is easy (after doing 100's) but the component being worked on is a critical one and the job needs to be done correctly by a trained tech! Would you let a plumber do heart surgery
Old 09-19-02, 04:33 AM
LexFather

I appreciate the responses and will let ya'll know the results.....
Old 09-19-02, 12:08 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brakes?

Sick - Since when do YOU use the BRAKES??!! :eek:
Seriously, I wouldn't fool with the brakes ( even an easy R&R like the rotors & pads ) unless U have a manual and/or experience with it. Brakes aren't something U always get a second chance to cure a mistake of!!:eek: Kinda like having ya around the Board, my friend!
BTW - How 'bout the Braves!!!!!!
Old 09-19-02, 04:51 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by muldrick
"squeeze the brake cylinder back in place for the new pads"

Brake cylinder???? What the heck is that???
If you're talking about about the caliper piston...I certainly would not just "squeeze" that back into place, without doing some other things first. There are alot a small but important things that most shops don't do. Like opening up the bleeder before pushing the piston back in (so the old fluid does'nt contaminate the rest of the system), removing all the rust from the hub surface, the rotors (before resurfacing them), the pad/caliper brackets, sliders. Installing new anti-rattle clips, and several other things. Yes...you could do them yourself...but not having done brakes before I highly recommend letting a pro do it. I've seen some nasty mistakes made by DIY's, like putting the pads on backwards! (metal against the rotor)
I am a tech at a dealership and I agree that the cost of auto repair is high, there are alot of shoddy techs out there giving us all a bad name, but some of us take pride in our work and do the job right 100%. The reason we don't let customers in the shop truly is for insurance reasons (although many customer watch me work) For me the brake job is easy (after doing 100's) but the component being worked on is a critical one and the job needs to be done correctly by a trained tech! Would you let a plumber do heart surgery
OK, so you are a mechanic (tech what ever you call it) at a dealership. I didn't used the correct term on the brake pistion you can correct me on that. You don't need to act like a GOD on this. You know the term of your trade, do you all the term of my trade???
As I mention earlier if the person knows how to use the torque wrench and tools. That person would know a little around the car engine then he can work on the brake. If he never done anything on the engine then yes I don't recommend working on the brake. If you don't do it yourself, how are you going to learn.
The forum is to learn from each other not from you telling people to take their car to the shop. If I take my car to the shop everytime, I don't need this forum.
Old 09-20-02, 02:27 PM
muldrick
Rookie

Originally posted by VQT

OK, so you are a mechanic (tech what ever you call it) at a dealership. I didn't used the correct term on the brake pistion you can correct me on that. You don't need to act like a GOD on this. You know the term of your trade, do you all the term of my trade???
As I mention earlier if the person knows how to use the torque wrench and tools. That person would know a little around the car engine then he can work on the brake. If he never done anything on the engine then yes I don't recommend working on the brake. If you don't do it yourself, how are you going to learn.
The forum is to learn from each other not from you telling people to take their car to the shop. If I take my car to the shop everytime, I don't need this forum.
Jeeez...chill bud. I don't see where I acted like GOD on this, I'm just basing my opinion, is that ok with you?????????
Notice that I also said he should have someone SHOW him how to do these. I see alot of lousy work done out there that we've gotta fix "under warrenty" that why I posted what I did. Oh yes, I also make mistakes. Can't we all just get along???
Old 09-20-02, 03:47 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by muldrick

Jeeez...chill bud. I don't see where I acted like GOD on this, I'm just basing my opinion, is that ok with you?????????
Notice that I also said he should have someone SHOW him how to do these. I see alot of lousy work done out there that we've gotta fix "under warrenty" that why I posted what I did. Oh yes, I also make mistakes. Can't we all just get along???

Quick Reply: Can I replace the brakes myself?