Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Opinions On Switching ALL Fluids To AMSOIL Synthetics

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-11, 05:20 PM
snowmaker
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gemigniani
No one on the forum, to my knowledge, has ever posted a photo of an internal part of a Toyota engine or transmission that suffered a high amount of wear or failure due to the owner's use of dino (conventional) oils instead of synthetics. There have been some engine sludge and heavy varnish photos, but those were attributable to the owner's extending oil changes. Their have been reports of spun main or connecting rod bearings, but those were attributable to engine overreving or running the engine low on oil.

Thus all the concern about "extra wear" if one uses dino oil is imaginary rather than real.
True and most, if not all Lexus owners, do not perform UOA on fluids either. Heavy varnish is due to engine design at times and NOT oil used most times. I had a guy on this forum post his engine internals and it was all varnish (not major) using dino. I posted mine using Amsoil and was not as bad with 3X the miles.

Again, the wear is there if you look for it. UOA do not lie. The sludge issue is overblown..That is due to moron owners or owners not cleaning the PCV or using poor oil. I say that since I go over 15K with a sludge engine and the internals are nice and clean and the UOA's show it.

In my area a dino sucks at -20F...I will take a nice synthetic.

Last edited by snowmaker; 04-08-11 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-08-11, 07:04 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by snowmaker
All I am saying is if you did a UOA, which it seems you do not, you will see a differance. I did not spend thousands on auto to buy walfart oil..

I know enough about UOA to tell me the wear is down to a microscopic level that will no way affect the ownership of my car. My car will be in the junkyard due to other problem way before the engine dies. If you really think what you're seeing on an UOA will make your engine last much longer, then hats off to you. I've had cars that lived over 300k+ miles on dino oil. I'm not trying to make it last a million miles because other things will break before that.

Like I said, if you live in extreme climates or even tracking your car, then synthetic will offer better protection. But for someone like me who lives in moderate climate, and doesn't track my car, synthetic oil will not make any difference to the longevity of the engine.
Old 04-09-11, 10:13 AM
Vader300
Rookie

Sounds weird, but whenever i changed my amsoil out of my 4runner and I saw that it was still clean when coming out. It made me feel good.
Old 04-09-11, 10:18 AM
snowmaker
Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
I know enough about UOA to tell me the wear is down to a microscopic level that will no way affect the ownership of my car. My car will be in the junkyard due to other problem way before the engine dies. If you really think what you're seeing on an UOA will make your engine last much longer, then hats off to you. I've had cars that lived over 300k+ miles on dino oil. I'm not trying to make it last a million miles because other things will break before that.

Like I said, if you live in extreme climates or even tracking your car, then synthetic will offer better protection. But for someone like me who lives in moderate climate, and doesn't track my car, synthetic oil will not make any difference to the longevity of the engine.
I agree for the most, for some syn is not needed along with UOA. UOA are priceless on their value.

Sure dino will perform okay but there benefits are limited compared to others. I do not track my lexus's but syn is heads above dino. I like less wear, higher TBN, better starts at my temps, higher mpg etc. I personally do not like changing oil all the time too!

Peace
Old 04-09-11, 11:08 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Engine compression is how one judges wear. Says so right in every Toyota factory manual. Experienced Toyota owners and the Toyota engineers know dino oil is capable of keeping the compression of a Toyota engine perfect for many hundreds of thousands of miles.

Dino oil is also capable of keeping a Toyota engine clean of harmful varnish for unlimited years and miles if changed every 3000-5000 miles.
Old 04-10-11, 07:26 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Even the guys at Blackstone Lab who does most of the UOA claim they use dino oil themselves. Their analogy revolving around organic food vs non-organic is a good one. Technically one is better than the other, but there is no answer as to how much longer you'll live eating organic food. 3 days? 2 weeks? 2 seconds?