Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

how important is the 30K service

Old 06-25-02, 02:38 PM
shambasha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How important is the 30K service

I hate to sound cheap but the dealer charges about $541 dollars for the 30,000 miles scheduled maintenance service.
I was just wandering is it really worth it or just get an oil change and wait for the 45,000 mile scheduled maintenance service?
I also never get my oil change at the deals, it cost around $128 dollars at the dealer, vs. $28 dollars at the local ex-lube.
Do I really need to get my oil change at the dealer?
This is my first Lexus, all my previous cars were BMWs and the scheduled maintenance service was Free.
I just cannot believe Lexus is charging for the service.

98, GS400, NAV.
Attached Thumbnails how important is the 30K service-l-side.jpg  

Last edited by shambasha; 06-25-02 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-25-02, 02:52 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Beautiful Lexus by the way!

I'm coming up on the magic 30k mark as well. There's no way I'm paying $541 for servie either. Although, that's a pretty good price when compared to what other dealers are charging (Try a search). My plan is to do all the easy stuff myself and leave the rest to the dealer. Of course I'll keep all my receipts and the dealer will have a 30k visit on their computer---Just in case of any warranty trouble.

If you don't want to do part of the service yourself, find a good asian specialty shop, maybe someone can recommend a shop in your area??

I'd like to stress that a dealer visit for each major service should be done if you have a warranty. Trust me ...this will help if something should ever happen down the road.

Peace
Old 06-25-02, 03:10 PM
SandRock
Lead Lap

You have to find a place that is authorized to service lexus vehicles and not void the warranty. I have 28k and my est. was 560. But I found a guy!!!
Old 06-25-02, 03:15 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I find it rather difficult of quantify how important your scheduled service actually is. I guess you should ask yourself, how important is it to me while driving down the road at hiways speeds, or on a trip, for my car to act up?

Know this, if down the road, something fails, and a dealership finds you skipped out on a service, nevermind a major one, they will be much less likely to support your warranty claim.

If its is a bit much to swallow, consider calling other dealers within reasonable driving distance, and let them know your concerns. Or, I dunno, call a Toyo delaership, and see if they classify as a certified location.

HTH
Old 06-25-02, 03:33 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Educate yourself.

First, read the section in one of your owner's manuals that relates to scheduled maintenance. Do not allow the dealer to do anything to your vehicle that isn't listed for the 30k service in the manual.

They will always recommend your use the ROUGH SERVICE schedule, or more likely the dealer's own SUGGESTED service items.

Or you can simply tell the dealer's service writer to write up the service as "the minimum factory recommended 30k service".

Personally I would find someone to change the oil and filter every 5 to 7k miles and not take it to the dealer at all until the major service requirement at 90k.
Old 06-25-02, 04:01 PM
MyBabyGS3
Driver

I have almost 38,000 miles on my car and not once have I gotten any of the recommended services...all I have gotten so far are the oil changes and my car has not had any problems and runs just as good as when I first had it... oh yea and I am definitely not cheap but do not think it's mandatory...only recommended.
Old 06-25-02, 04:40 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My LS has only been to the dealer for service, but I don't see any requirement in the warranty that states you have to take it to a service center authorized to service Lexus.
I was told by Lexus headquarters as long as you do the required service items at any service center and keep the receipts, you'll be okay.
Old 06-25-02, 04:50 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default filters

mybaby:

At 38k I would immediately change out the engine air filter and the people air filter behind the glove box.
Old 06-25-02, 04:59 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Default Re: filters

Originally posted by wwest
mybaby:

At 38k I would immediately change out the engine air filter and the people air filter behind the glove box.
Both of which can be easily done by yourself.

People here have even figured out ways to make their own quality cabin air filters from 3M filtrete furnace filters
Old 06-25-02, 05:31 PM
MyBabyGS3
Driver

I've cleaned out the a.c. filters once...I will try the 3m method though...

How do you replace the engine filters? How much will that cost? Is there a thread on how to do this?

I've also heard about the transmission fluid...yes? or no?

Thanks for the advice...
Old 06-25-02, 06:25 PM
kreativ
Advanced

You'll find the instructions on how to change the engine air filter in your owner's manual. It looks like more of a pain on a Lexus LS than on a Honda Accord (can change an air filter on a Honda in two minutes, and involves only 4 easily accessible screws), but easily a do-it-yourselfer still.
Old 06-25-02, 09:04 PM
brian3268
Lead Lap

they charge u $128 for an oil change?
my dad just got his oil changed on his LS for 110 canadian
Old 06-25-02, 09:35 PM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

If you want your Lexus to last forever, follow this:

Rule # 1 is don't beat on your car when it's cold. Warm it up for 30 seconds or so and take it easy for the next few minutes. Try not to run the A/C for the first minute or two.

Change the oil every 3-5k using 5-30 weight oil. If you're tough on the motor or you plan on keeping the car until 200,000 miles, invest in Mobil 1. If you know you will sell it before it hits 100,000, Mobil 1 would be a waste. Has anyone ever heard of a motor go while being on that stuff? Use only the Toyota oil filter.

At 30k, change the air filter, a/c filter, transmission fluid, and the anti freeze. Nothing more, nothing less.
Remember, if you don't use the Toyota fluids and filters, you're better of not doing the service at all. Lexus transmission have been known to fail when people don't use the specified Toyota tranny fluid.
Repeat at 60k miles

At 90k, have Lexus do the timing belt, change the plugs, repeat the 30k, and flush the brake system, the steering fluid, and the rear end fluid.

Keep it up and you should have no major or even moderate mechanical problems for at least 250,000 miles. Remember, even with that mileage, the car will run just like new with no significant loss in power.
Old 06-26-02, 02:13 AM
SandRock
Lead Lap

Originally posted by MyBabyGS3
I've cleaned out the a.c. filters once...I will try the 3m method though...

How do you replace the engine filters? How much will that cost? Is there a thread on how to do this?

I've also heard about the transmission fluid...yes? or no?

Thanks for the advice...
Just pop your hood and follow your intake up until you see the cover for the air filter and just slide it back. Lift out the filter and insert a new one.
Old 06-26-02, 05:13 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another theory to consider about service shambasha, and not to rain on anyone's advice here, but read and follow your Owner's Manual very closely, and follow the guidelines; not your dealers, or even a bunch of people on an enthusiast borad claiming to know what is worth it, and what isn't.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how important is the 30K service