Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Repainting Bumbers?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-02, 07:31 PM
loickle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Repainting Bumbers?????

Hi Gang,
The bumpers on my '91 LS400 have taken some abuse over the years and the paint is chipping and cracking. I wanted to know if it's possible to repaint them myself? I don't think it would be that difficult as long as I had the right equipment. My only real concern is the preparation of the bumpers. Should I have them sand blasted, sand them down, glass beeded, etc????

Please help me out.

Thanks...
Old 04-22-02, 08:21 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

well painting can be tricky if you never done it before... havin a good gun and a clean air line helps... prep werk is vital... I would get someone else to do it if I was you..
Old 04-23-02, 09:37 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The keys to a good paint job is good prep work, good equipments, and correct hand movements. If you have all three, then great by all means do 'em. Otherwise, you will be investing too much for a bumper, unless you have a few more bumpers/cars waiting for a new coat.
Old 04-23-02, 10:26 PM
itsallgood
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Repainting Bumbers?????

Originally posted by loickle
Hi Gang,
The bumpers on my '91 LS400 have taken some abuse over the years and the paint is chipping and cracking. I wanted to know if it's possible to repaint them myself? I don't think it would be that difficult as long as I had the right equipment. My only real concern is the preparation of the bumpers. Should I have them sand blasted, sand them down, glass beeded, etc????

Please help me out.

Thanks...
From the questions you asked, don't take it in the wrong way, but it seems that you don't have any painting experince. But if you want to try and DIY then this might help you out.

Along with what fairuza11 and hyperopt said, prep work is the key in a good paint job.
1st I wouldn't sand blast the bumper, just wet sand...if the cracks are deep you might have to glaze the bumper first.
2nd you need to match the color code with the paint you get, 1 quart should be more than enough.
3rd you need to get a clear that has more plastic in it or clear thats soft, if not adding flex additive will help reduce the rock chips.
4th have a good air source.
5th have a good gun, gravity fed guns are the latest ones out there.
6th a good spray booth
I left out some small things, but this gives you a general idea on how much work is involved.
Oh yeah, you need to remove the bumper, this makes the job easier.

Aloha
Old 04-24-02, 06:56 AM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

yeah dont sand blast at all..... def not a god idea...