Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Help me diagnose my car's problem...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-09, 10:59 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help me diagnose my car's problem...

So, I have a 5-speed SC430. She runs extremely smooth; buttery transmission and quiet engine. However, I have a problem.

There is occasional grinding/shaking of my shifter during:
(a) making a quick/accelerating left turn from a stop,
(b) hitting a bump/pothole underneath the front passenger tire, and
(c) same grinding/shaking when the gear selector is on 3rd gear only (Drive is perfect with absolutely no issues when travelling straight at various speeds).

Also, when the car is cold, there is a click during stopping from the front wheels. I don't believe it's the brakes, but the sound comes from the wheels when I brake. Can it be related?

The transmission and engine mounts have been inspected and no problems were noted.

Can it be a CV Joint issue? A suspension or axle issue? Or is it something worse, like a transmission issue?

Old 07-21-09, 06:54 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Hmmm... as far as the click during stopping.. i would lean towards pad-shift. The pads are known to move back and forth in the caliper causing a clicking noise, usually goes away when its warm because parts expand with heat and whatnot.

As far as the shaking/grinding... I would look at the linkage for the shifter. The quick accell to the left, the pothole, etc, might make the engine/body flex enough for the linkage to touch the transmission or tunnel under the car. Maybe the linkage is in just the right position when in D or 3 and thats why it only does it in those selections. Maybe in 1 or 2, the linkage is moved far enough back or forward to not tough anything.

There were problems back in the day, with the subframe bushings on the rear subframe going bad. But that doesnt really sound like your issue...

Really hard to diagnose without seeing, touching, hearing, etc.. the car in person. Hopefully some of this leads in the right direction though...
Old 07-23-09, 08:15 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RTIS250
Hmmm... as far as the click during stopping.. i would lean towards pad-shift. The pads are known to move back and forth in the caliper causing a clicking noise, usually goes away when its warm because parts expand with heat and whatnot.

As far as the shaking/grinding... I would look at the linkage for the shifter. The quick accell to the left, the pothole, etc, might make the engine/body flex enough for the linkage to touch the transmission or tunnel under the car. Maybe the linkage is in just the right position when in D or 3 and thats why it only does it in those selections. Maybe in 1 or 2, the linkage is moved far enough back or forward to not tough anything.

There were problems back in the day, with the subframe bushings on the rear subframe going bad. But that doesnt really sound like your issue...

Really hard to diagnose without seeing, touching, hearing, etc.. the car in person. Hopefully some of this leads in the right direction though...
Cool.

Thanks for the advice.

I will see my mechanic and ask about these issues. Perhaps they can focus on a couple of things rather than guess globally throughout the evaluation...
Old 07-23-09, 09:07 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Phil, RTIS250 is likely correct about the pad shift issue. I believe all of the 1 and 2 GSs have this issue when brake pads are slightly worn. In my case, it was a pretty noticable pop sound and it occurred after using the brakes in reverse. The first time I hit the brakes in drive, the pads would shift. I have no clue on the trans issue.