Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Dash Lights - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-02, 08:40 PM
Dug
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dash Lights - Help!

When my car is cold at night most of my dash lights and console lights are out (they sometime will flicker right a way after starting for a few minutes then go out). The headlight symbol, "P" and "N" are all that starts lite (without the headlights on the console is back lite - normal). After about 25-40 minutes of driving my console lights will blink and then come on, and shortly after that my dash lights will come on. This always happens and it takes longer in cold weather and less time when the car has been driven for a while. The dealers early guess is that its the printed circuit board. I hate to spend the $1G if there is something else it could be. Do these cars have a start capacitor similar to florescent lights? If it is printed circuit board, does the console feed off the same print circuit board? Bumps in the road do not cause them to flicker in any quicker or cause them to go out after they are lite, once they are lite they stay lite normally. This effects the gas and temp gauges movement as well (tach and speedo hand moves - but not lite). Any other suggestions? It is a 1994 LS 400. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-05-02, 12:03 PM
Brutus
Driver School Candidate

Default Dash lights

I think this has been covered recently. Try a search. The circut board sounds like the suspected part in previous discussions.
Old 04-05-02, 08:57 PM
The Lex
Driver School Candidate

DUG, I have the exact same problem with my '93LS400. It seems to be a problem with these cars. I've got the exact part number if you need it. The circuit board has to be reprogrammed in order for the odometer toread the correct miles. This will cost extra.

I emailed several Lexus dealers who sell parts over the net. I got bids as low as $692 for a reprogrammed unit. My dealer quoted around $200 labor for installation.

Let me know if you want the number for the dealer with the discounted part. I haven't had time to call many dealers yet, but the $692 is over $300 cheaper than my dealer wanted.

BTW, someone posted that a solder connection may be bad on the board. However I am not an electronics expert and I wouldn't know how to even beginning diagnosing and repairing something like that. If you know someone who has good knowledge about repairing circuits, let all of us know, as there several of us here on ClubLexus with the same problem.

Hope this helps!