Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

**help please burping coolant issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-09, 01:06 PM
VIPFAMILY
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **help please burping coolant issue

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ant-gs400.html

ORIGINAL POST PLEASE HELP HOPING SOMEONE IN THE TECHNICAL FORUM KNOWS
Old 02-19-09, 03:14 PM
VIPFAMILY
Rookie

Default Original post if you dont wanan click link

I have been trying to find it anywhere how to burp coolant cant find it at all is it possible I thought all vehicles had this.

Or if you can help I have a 98 with 132,500. Per lexus I have changed the radiator due to them saying half of it may have been clogged. It use to boil out throught the overflow tank. Replaced that with oem spec koyo rad. Coolant level drops in rad after a couple weeks more than any car I have evr had.... after trips out of town i get back and there is ALOT less to the point i open up the rad and I cant see coolant... I assume boiled out the overflow like it use to... ANY IDEAS... I assume air is getting in their I asked lexus if it was headgasket they said no... sooo I'm not sure... Help Please
Old 02-19-09, 04:04 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Only a few place the coolant can go and you can't find it leak from around the engine area. I suggest look for the white smoke from the tail pipe and get some shop do the pressure test. You may have a small leaks that hard to detected.
Another place to look for the leaky is inside the car because your coolant go into the heater core. Check for any wetness on the carpet.
Old 02-19-09, 04:35 PM
VIPFAMILY
Rookie

Yea I thought heater too due to I couldn't find it anywhere near engine other than overflow tank... So If I am not using the heater would the coolant still go throught the heater or is there like a valve that shuts that part off if it isn't used and carpet seems fine. Oh yea and no white smoke
Old 02-19-09, 06:14 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

The heater valve will shut off if you run your car on the "Max Cool" all the time.
Old 02-19-09, 07:14 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

did you "burp" the system when you changed the radiator and the radiator fluid?

did you change the thermostat?

this is how i burp my system, it may help you.

turn heater to max
run car with the radiator cap off
when the thermostat opens up, a drop in radiator fluid is going to be noticed and the system is burped
pour more radiator fluid in and close radiator cap

thats all i do and i have had no problems on any of the cars i have dont that with.
Old 02-20-09, 12:16 PM
VIPFAMILY
Rookie

EXACTLY! I tried that but turn the car on and the fluid poors out of the radiator doesnt go down even with heat full blast it overflows ... somethin is wrong...
Old 02-20-09, 04:07 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i dont think your thermostat is opening all the way. did you run it long enough for the fan to turn on? right after the fan turns on, the water level should drop.
Old 02-20-09, 07:10 PM
VIPFAMILY
Rookie

Hmm I didnt wait for the fans to kick on... no but shouldn't it stay somewhat level before the fans kick on? Immediately it started to come up pretty quick. I guess i should just let it come up and refill till the car gets up to operating temp... hmm I'll try that

ALSO THANKS NOBODY HAS EVEN TRIED TO HELP SO THANX ILOVEGIRLS
Old 02-20-09, 10:08 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

The GS doesn't fill from the t-stat housing like the LS. One thing I found that really helps is a spill-free funnel from Lisle Tools, it's a 2-quart funnel with a stopper, 3 adapters, 1 45-degree bend for GM apps. It's a tad pricey at $20-30, but it makes coolant bleeding a bit bearable - the Honda guys use them. It works by allowing you to partially fill the funnel and allowing the engine to be run with little risk of coolant gushing out so that air can gurgle out.

Another thing is a bad t-stat, replace it with the OEM Toyota part. Gates/Stant ones are flimsy.

I'm thinking you also got an electrolysis problem - I would flush the cooling system out with distilled water until it runs clear and fill up with a non Dex-Cool based coolant such as the OEM Toyota stuff or Peak Global Lifetime.
Old 02-23-09, 04:36 PM
VIPFAMILY
Rookie

I'm sorry forgot to say I did change the radiator per lexus saying it was clogged both fans were on and one was blowing hot they said the other was cool so they believed blocked so new coolant there....

They changed thermo and I have been using only toyota coolant from the dealer just to be **** and yea only distilled.

Could air in the same really do this I have had this before with my 240 but continually this long it's been like a year that I have to refill a decent amount in the radiator from being "pushed" out
Old 02-24-09, 10:06 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Trapped air can cause issues like this.

Also, how old is your radiator cap?
Old 02-26-09, 04:52 PM
guitarmike
Rookie

The heater core is higher than the radiator on the GS. Thus, when we, as factory technicians, bleed the system, we raise the front of the vehicle above the rear about 2 foot. This allows the radiator to be higher than the heater core thus allowing all air to rise to the radiator filler neck. Another method you can try is to use the spill free funnel. Once the coolant starts rising insert the stopper in the funnel and turn off the vehicle. Allow it to sit for a couple of minutes. This develops a vacuum on the vehicle side of the funnel and when you start it back up and remove the stopper it sucks in coolant like there is no tomorrow.

All that being said, I think you are having thermostat issues. I would recommend changing the thermostat if it hasn't been changed before.
Old 02-27-09, 01:09 PM
VIPFAMILY
Rookie

Thanks you guys I've never seen a funnel like that but drefinately sounds like a good idea. They did change the t stat at the dealer and whoever had the car before was running green coolant. Dealer flushed it and changed that to red been running that since.... is it really not possible I have a minor headgasket issue I know I'm weird thinking the worse....
Old 02-27-09, 02:08 PM
guitarmike
Rookie

It is possible to have headgasket trouble. A couple tell tell signs are: excessive white smoke indicating coolant burning in the combustion chamber, and/or coolant in the oil. Check your oil. If the oil level is way higher than max, that is an indication coolant is leaking at the headgasket and getting in the oil.

Quick Reply: **help please burping coolant issue