Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

code 35 for traction

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-09, 10:36 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexs400
question:
given the abs/trac off light comes on after the car starts even without driving, that leads me to believe that the abs ecu is checking simply for continuity and closed circuit at that time.
therefore, if i were to swap the abs sensor at the connections and not install the sensor in the wheel well, will that test still work to see if the sensors are faulty or not ?
yup... same thing as actually installing them though... they are no more than a continuity check, then, they look for fluctuations when the car is actually moving...
Old 12-21-09, 11:53 PM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the reply !.
well in that case i've changed the sensors both the front left and the rear right but the abs/trac off light remains on even after trying to clear the codes and the code is still 35...
from what i've read if the abs ecu itself was bad then it should give me a different code as well as the abs light should not blink to give a code while testing, rather it will be constantly on... leading me to think that the abs ecu should be intact.
I did try to disconnect the rear left sensor. that did give code 36 in addition to code 35. i then put the rear left sensor back on cleared the codes and the code for the rear left cleared up... so i know i'm following the code clearing procedure correctly...
any other advice ?
thanks..,
Old 12-22-09, 03:06 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

yup... sounds like you are just repeating yourself again...

because the code does not follow the sensor, the sensors should be good...

because the code does not follow the sensor, that means one of two things - either the wiring is bad, or the ecu itself...

the ecu may not know it is bad if its fault is not in the processor core, but in the hardware where the wiring connects... the thing you have to do is what I said before - disconnect the ecu and see if you have a short or continuity on the wires from the ecu to the wheel sensors... if there are no shorts, and you have continuity, then the ecu is the only thing left that could be bad...