Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Maintenance costs at dealer

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-08, 07:48 AM
Bobcuse44
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maintenance costs at dealer

I have been loyal to my Lexus dealers and had all maintenance done there, mainly to ensure I comply with warranty requirements and to ensure I get a good inspection by Lexus eyes. BUT...I feel I am being ripped off everytime I have anything done. I expect to pay a premium, but these are a few examples of what I have paid this year alone:

Front brakes $262
Rear brakes $262
A/C, Air filters $116
Drive belts $125

I am tempted to go back to local shops and save at least 60% on these standard items. Would apprec any comments and comparative prices at your dealers. Thx.
Old 10-05-08, 05:47 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Drive belt doesn't sound too high, but everything else is up there...

so long as rotors don't need replaced, you can get OE type pads, and on the car brake lathe resurfacing for $139 at any Firestone, less with a coupon - just an example, there are many other deals out there as well...

A/C filter can be pricey, but that still sounds a little high...
Old 10-25-08, 03:04 PM
jemor1961
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Lexus ES350 and an Acura MDX and I have concluded in both cases their maintenance costs are very inflated compared to other shops. They will tell you it is due to their genuine parts but I had two experiences that convinced me that is not the case. I needed new tires so I got prices from 3 other shops before I went to the dealer for a tune up. When I was there for the tune up I inquired how much it would cost to replace the tires. The price I was quoted was 25-40% higher. When I shared the other quotes they agreed to meet the price. But then when they changed the tires there was some other small service fee that they tacked on for $10 per tire more. They also changed my winshield washer fluid and charged me $3.99 for a gallon of the washer fluid. I am sure they did not put in a gallon because it was not empty and on top of the outrageous cost for the fluid I paid an additional labor charge.

I don't know how much of the dealership profit comes from maintenance but I bet it is a lot. And if that is where the profit is for them then you are paying for it.
Old 10-29-08, 11:38 AM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jemor1961
I have a Lexus ES350 and an Acura MDX and I have concluded in both cases their maintenance costs are very inflated compared to other shops. They will tell you it is due to their genuine parts but I had two experiences that convinced me that is not the case. I needed new tires so I got prices from 3 other shops before I went to the dealer for a tune up. When I was there for the tune up I inquired how much it would cost to replace the tires. The price I was quoted was 25-40% higher. When I shared the other quotes they agreed to meet the price. But then when they changed the tires there was some other small service fee that they tacked on for $10 per tire more. They also changed my winshield washer fluid and charged me $3.99 for a gallon of the washer fluid. I am sure they did not put in a gallon because it was not empty and on top of the outrageous cost for the fluid I paid an additional labor charge.

I don't know how much of the dealership profit comes from maintenance but I bet it is a lot. And if that is where the profit is for them then you are paying for it.
The bulk of the dealership profits come from service for parts and labor. Most parts are marked up 40-60% depending on the part. So yeah when they quote you a price have them expalin the total price. I dont use the dealer anymore I find Lexus trained/certified Indy's to do the work, less overhead same expertise.
Old 10-29-08, 04:30 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobcuse44
I have been loyal to my Lexus dealers and had all maintenance done there, mainly to ensure I comply with warranty requirements and to ensure I get a good inspection by Lexus eyes. BUT...I feel I am being ripped off everytime I have anything done. I expect to pay a premium, but these are a few examples of what I have paid this year alone:

Front brakes $262
Rear brakes $262
A/C, Air filters $116
Drive belts $125

I am tempted to go back to local shops and save at least 60% on these standard items. Would apprec any comments and comparative prices at your dealers. Thx.

At a full-service well respected shop in bay area, CA I would have the expectation to pay:

Front or Rear brakes axle=1hr labor($100)+parts ($60). Lathing extra.

Cabin A/C filter/Airfilter: "free" to install (with your full price oil change and/or other service), full retail price for parts ($15-$30 for either, check at various online parts engines for your car)

DriveBelt: .5hr($50) to install+$30-40 for parts.

The airfilters would be a 1 screwdriver DIY.

If you go to a place where you don't get a well-spoken front office service manager to explain things to you, maybe take off another 10%-20% off hourly rate. Brake job labor can also be cut in half if they don't do a full brake job but just swap in pads.