Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Premium Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-02, 11:13 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

passing on some additional info I got....

Most gasolines are "generic" in the sense that they come from the same refineries in the area. The only difference is the additive package. Apparently there are additive stations where this stuff is pumped in at the end, and each gasoline brand will have their own station (and thus, their own additive package). So the Chevron tanker will have Techron pumped in, while the Shell tanker will have the Shell additive package pumped in.

As Mean Gene has said, Techron is considered the "gold standard" in additive packages.

In the end, it doesn't really matter where you go with some provisions:
1. Techron is considered the best additive package, and you get that at Chevron stations.
2. I've never heard a positive thing about Arco gas, and hear that it contains 10% ethanol. It's always the cheapest though, and there could be good reason for that.

I have started going to Costco for gas. I have no clue about the quality of the additive package that they specify (all I know is that they do specify their own additive package), but Costco quality is usually pretty good.

Last edited by kreativ; 01-20-02 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-22-02, 09:05 AM
Gs400TRD
Intermediate

Ok. I thought I would throw my 2 cents in since I work for oil and Gas also. The major brands basically use very similar additives. As with chevron's techron it is a marketing marvel. Our research lab tested 5 vehicles with the 4 major brands of gasoline for 50k miles and grocery store gas and then measured the mpg, deposits, etc. on each of the pistons.
The results were so close among the 4 majors with Exxon coming in 4th, Texaco/shell (same gas until 2003) and Chevron basically tied for 1st...
For deposits. Again this was our observation. The grocery store gas was terrible. Even after 10k the grocery store gas had higher deposits than the majors at 50k!
As for fuel economy marginal but it looks like Shell's gas over the 50k lifetime avg. about .3 mpg better than Exxon and chevron was about .1 mpg behind Exxon. I think mainly because more additives mean less fuel.
If I can get a print out I'll post it.
Old 01-22-02, 07:10 PM
jahummer
Pole Position

Originally posted by Gs400TRD
Texaco/shell (same gas until 2003)
What is going to change?
Old 01-23-02, 03:40 AM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you guys tried a product called "44K" by BG? I see it on certain sites that sell it and it seems to be a very strong all in one fuel system cleaner that you add to your tank and refill and it cleans out all the carbon off the combustion chamber and cleans out your injectors with one application, it is professional stuff and a 11 .oz can goes for $20.00 plus shippping, I saw one on Ebay for $8.50 and I should have done the buy it now, someone else beat me to it Try it out guys I read alot of good stuff about it and ordered one.

http://www.ec-securehost.com/RynoPer..._Products.html

Thanks

Erfan
Old 01-23-02, 08:02 PM
Gs400TRD
Intermediate

Originally posted by jahummer

What is going to change?
basically texaco stations are going to start to disapper this year since Shell bought out Texaco's downstream operations. Texaco is now part of chevrontexaco...Chevron can, if they desire, in 2004 (I think maybe 2005) bring back the texaco brand gas. Until then most will be converted to Shell stations. This is all due to a complex Alliance between Texaco/Shell/Saudi Aramco's downstream alliance from 1998-2000 which was dissolved with the chevrontexaco merger.
Old 01-23-02, 08:05 PM
Gs400TRD
Intermediate

Originally posted by Erfan
Have you guys tried a product called "44K" by BG? I see it on certain sites that sell it and it seems to be a very strong all in one fuel system cleaner that you add to your tank and refill and it cleans out all the carbon off the combustion chamber and cleans out your injectors with one application, it is professional stuff and a 11 .oz can goes for $20.00 plus shippping, I saw one on Ebay for $8.50 and I should have done the buy it now, someone else beat me to it Try it out guys I read alot of good stuff about it and ordered one.

http://www.ec-securehost.com/RynoPer..._Products.html

Thanks

Erfan
might be snake oil...I think if you want a good decarbonization, you can take your car to a service station that specializes in doing this...Mean Gene might know more about the process...
Old 01-24-02, 05:30 AM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Update: 01/24/02

I had my Toyota Dealership do the Fuel injector and the throttle body cleaning service yesterday, It all cost $120.00 and let me tell you my car idles noticeably smoother and it moves quite nicely on the highway and the streets, It is well worth the cost.
Old 01-24-02, 06:06 AM
jahummer
Pole Position

Glad to hear that, Erfan.
Old 01-26-02, 01:55 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A puzzlement

This is a “for what it’s worth” story: many years ago I had an AMC Javelin V8 (I know, a pos car but it looked good and was cheap). Anyway, it only ran good on Super Shell. I tried everything else in it and it ran like ****. I had no love for Shell, my dad had worked for Exxon for years and retired from them, so I had more loyalty to them than anyone else – but, the car simply wouldn’t run good on any other brand??? Never figured it out – rebuilt the carb, checked out the fuel system – but still, only ran right on Super Shell. I’d worked on cars all of my adult life and was not a rookie when it came to engines and fuel systems, but still that fact held true till I got rid of that car. To this day, I still don’t know why – it doesn’t make any sense – but for that reason, I still use Super Shell in my GS today.
Old 01-26-02, 04:16 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: A puzzlement

Originally posted by garnet92
This is a “for what it’s worth” story: many years ago I had an AMC Javelin V8 (I know, a pos car but it looked good and was cheap). Anyway, it only ran good on Super Shell. I tried everything else in it and it ran like ****. I had no love for Shell, my dad had worked for Exxon for years and retired from them, so I had more loyalty to them than anyone else – but, the car simply wouldn’t run good on any other brand??? Never figured it out – rebuilt the carb, checked out the fuel system – but still, only ran right on Super Shell. I’d worked on cars all of my adult life and was not a rookie when it came to engines and fuel systems, but still that fact held true till I got rid of that car. To this day, I still don’t know why – it doesn’t make any sense – but for that reason, I still use Super Shell in my GS today.
It could have been a additive that was in the shell that probably matched right with your combustion chamber and spark advance and timing. Your knock sensors probably detected low knock on the shell premium and the ECM adjusted and advanced timing to optimal performance, on the other gas, your ECM detected pinging and the knock sensors relayed a signal to the ECM and it pull back timing in a snap before detonation. Those AMC's were sure advanced for thier time
Old 01-30-02, 08:02 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Right Track!

Garnet - I agree with Erfan in that it was probably some additive or even the "true" octane rating ( although I doubt that a Javelin needed it! ). Hey, I can say that because I had an AMC Pacer at one time - talk about POS but that glass hatch made for some SERIOUS SPL when U bounced four 15" M&M subs off it!! We also have something else in common - my grandfather worked 45 years :eek: for Exxon!! He started when it was Humble Oil & stuck around thru the Esso & then Exxon name changes. Guess the oil patch is in the bloodline!!
Old 01-31-02, 04:12 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Knock sensors???? ECM???? On an AMC???? Erfan, you gotta stop smokin' that stuff.......such things didn't exist back then!!! :eek:
Old 01-31-02, 04:39 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Edit that post Gene!

Gene Shhhhhh! Delete that last post! You’ve got too good a reputation on CL to let anybody know that you once owned a [Pacer]. Four 15” subs – Jeeezuzzz – the subs were probably worth more than the car!

Yeah, my dad worked at the Baton Rouge refinery through all of the name changes and eventually retired from there.

Say, is that traffic circle still in Alex? I think it was where La1 and US71 came together – I used to hate that thing. Now, it seems that studies have shown that circles (roundabouts) are safer than stop signs or traffic lights and they’re coming back – what goes around comes (back) around!

And the oil patch … I used to write programs for operators/producers here in Dallas – joint interest billing, royalties payable, etc. – was building business and had about 8-10 clients in the oil biz till the patch went belly-up.
Old 02-13-02, 05:08 AM
HaydenGS
Driver School Candidate

I use Chevron Supreme Plus 94.
But i don't feel any difference other than my exhaust doesn't smell as **** when i first start the car.
just a matter of habit
Old 02-13-02, 06:47 AM
D.K.
Rookie

Originally posted by HaydenGS
I use Chevron Supreme Plus 94.
But i don't feel any difference other than my exhaust doesn't smell as **** when i first start the car.
just a matter of habit
Hmmm, I am using Chevron Supreme now, but our's is 91 octane here in San Diego. 94 would be nice, especially since I'm paying just as much if not more.

Quick Reply: Premium Fuel